Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson

ceeejaye
#0Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:17pm

Did anyone see Benjamin last nite at Urban Stages on West 30th street.

Just curious to see how the show was?

Thanks

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#1re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:28pm

I did. And it was FANTASTIC. One of the best solo "gigs" I've ever been to.

There was a wonderful array of musicians (cello,violin,french horn,bass, and piano). The ambience was fantastic.Reminiscent of a small jazzy bar. He started the set by coming down some stairs. There was no "banter" per se, as it was story driven (lonely man in a bar, a woman's voice would speak to him, and he'd respond in song).

He sang:

Fumblin' With The Blues (Tom Waits)
Never Talk to Strangers (Tom Waits)
Dance Me To The End of Love (Leonard Cohen)
Between The Bars (Elliott Smith)
Mess (Ben Folds)
Diggin' Me (Martin Sexton)
Little Hands (Duncan Sheik)
Bartender (Regina Spektor)
Lady, Your Roof Brings Me Down (Scott Weiland)- He played piano during this song
Music of Heaven (Jason Robert Brown)

Overall it was simply flawless. Magnuson has one of the most powerful, controlled beautiful voices I've ever heard. He sang his heart out, and really FELT every secong onstage. I had goosebumps throughout. Absolutely wonderful all the way through.

Updated On: 8/1/06 at 08:28 PM

Go2The80's-radness Profile Photo
Go2The80's-radness
#2re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:32pm

oh im so0o0o0o jelous
did u get pictures from ths show?
if u did post them!!!

Hey Homie-G Dont make me *b.y.b Or else I'll just be me And You will see that you will flee -That is Me and one of my best friend Mandi's hit song "Homie-G" *b.y.b means bust your butt*

BroadwayChica
#3re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:33pm

No, I didn't take pics. Sorry!! I was at the 10 pm show. Maybe someone else took pics. But it was really, really wonderful. I hope he does more shows like this in the future.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#4re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:34pm

Ohhh he sang Music of Heaven? That's a great song, and great for his voice as well. Very cool!

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#5re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:35pm

I was there, too. Absolutely loved it. It was more of a "concert" than a "gig" - it was pretty seamless, with the songs connected, almost seeming to be little scenes. Magnuson has an amazing voice. The whole thing was put together so well, between the song choices, the orchestra, and the transitions in between. I can't wait to see if he does more stuff in the future, and recommend everyone to go check him out!

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#6re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:40pm

I REALLY wanted to go, and now I'm jealous of you two!

I am SO happy that this went so well. He has some incredible vocal technique, and from what I've seen in Sweeney, a gift in atcing through song. I hope he moves on to another excellent project after Sweeney.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#7re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:49pm

Wow, I'd love to have heard his "Music of Heaven!"

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

BroadwayChica
#8re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:54pm

"Music of Heaven" was particularly chilling. Just...perfect for his voice, and he sang the HELL out of it. GORGEOUS rendition.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#9re: Sweeney Todd Benjamin Magnuson
Posted: 8/1/06 at 8:58pm

I'm listening to my Wearing Someone Else's Clothes CD now imagining Ben sing it. Man, I bet he was FANTASTIC.

Videos