hotels etc...

Nath
#0hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 8:43pm

ok first up I have searched the threads and looked at info people have posted and naturally it is all conflicting! But thought i'd post a question!

Coming To New York in Dec/Jan for 3 weeks (from aus!), on a complete show trip! Looking at hotels, have narrowed it down to-

Hotel Pennyslvania
Comfort Inn Manhattan
Hotel Edison
Milford Plaza

We are on a super tight budget (more money to spend on seeing shows!). We will pretty much be doing the line up thing for tickets, so we are looking for a place that is-
cheap(but not a complete dump), good location (able and happy to walk a bit, but considering the weather at that time and concious of this). We also notice a couple of hotels inc breakfast...

Any help/tips/ideas/suggestions on teh above hotels, or in fact any hotel on a budget. Also tips on how far a walk some of teh further out hotels are?

Thanks heaps for ANY help!! :)

big_girls_don't_cry
#1re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 8:54pm

we stay at the belvedere i think it's like on 48th or something... So but the edison looks like it may be cheap?

big_girls_don't_cry
#2re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 8:55pm

you should consider doing the marriot plan so u have time shares to stay there where it's really nice!

SweetQintheLights
#3re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 8:58pm

big_girls has a good idea about the marriot plan but it is quite expensive to stay there- especailly for 3 weeks.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

to wherever
#4re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:04pm

I stayed at the Milford for a week once. Great location... relatively cheap. Small rooms, but very clean. Great service. Very safe, secure place.

I loved it.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#5re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:31pm

Do NOT stay at the Hotel Pennsylvania. It is really dirty and run down. I had mice in my room.

I also recommend the Belvedere. Awesome location, decent price, and the staff was really couteous. You also have a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and stuff. If you want to save money, there is a small grocery store around the corner. Stock up and make meals in your hotel room. Thati s the place I will stay from now on when I visit NYC.

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
#6re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:38pm

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan twice. Room was small, but clean.

They also give guests free Internet access in your room w/your laptop; an adequate free breakfast; a business center (computers & printers for free); and a very small workout room (just a bit of equipment).
It's close to all the action, too.
Jersey Boys Blog

Fabrizio2
#7re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:56pm

I really enjoyed the Hotel QT...the rooms are very creative...ours had bunkbeds in it...and rates start from $175 I think...

Another fun one is The Library Hotel...it's a very creative hotel...a bit expensive for what you are looking at...but I'd check it out...

And of course there are your chain hotels and other luxury hotels such as The Carlyle, The Peninsula...

There are TONS of hotels in Manhattan...maybe if you PM'ed me I could help you out with what you are looking for...If there's one thing I know about...it's hotels in NYC.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#8re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 10:26pm

The Radio City Apartments might be worth considering. It's great for those on a tight budget because each room has a full kitchen. That's a great help if you want to save money on eating out. I've stayed there many times and each experience was wonderful. The elevators are slow though.

Radio City Apartments Updated On: 8/5/06 at 10:26 PM

Nath
#9re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 11:37pm

thanks heaps! am checking out the radio city apartments... quick-possibly rather obvious- question-

whats teh difference between a 'hotel' and 'apartments'?
checkin out hotel QT as well...

comfort inn is one of the cheaper ones we found (guessing because its slightly further out?)

SweetQintheLights
#10re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/5/06 at 11:47pm

Nath-

I PMed you.

My aunt also recommended the Edison or Metropolitan.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

pab Profile Photo
pab
#11re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:08am

Nath, I also PMed you about a guest house.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#12re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:12am

i stayed at the Jolly Madison Tower and it was fantastic! walking distance, great location and they let you check your bags early for checkin and leave them late for checkout, so you dont have to lug them around all day!

I had a corner room that looked directly at the empire state building, quite the nighttime view!

Updated On: 8/6/06 at 12:12 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 12:12am

"whats teh difference between a 'hotel' and 'apartments'?"

I think the property was originally an apartment building and I think they just kept the name because the rooms are more like apartments than your average hotel room. Gas range, full-size fridge, dinnerware, cookware, etc. It's a great place to stay...especially for a lengthy period of time.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#14re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 3:42pm

The only problem w Radio City Apts now is getting a booking! It flew under the radar for a long time (tho it was popular w tour groups from Europe and Asia) U hafta book months in advance to get a room, but the location is perfect.( altho they do run sales in the off season)
Oh, and they don't do long stays (ie a month) cos I tried when it looked like I was gonna have to come to N.Y. for a couple of conferences.

Nath
#15re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 5:49pm

I'm checkin out radio city apartments...

any other suggestions? (these are all great!!)
also as far as distance from 'the action' is comfort inn manhattan a good location?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#16re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 6:15pm

The Comfort Inn Manhattan is on 35th Street. It's about the same distance as the Hotel Pennsylvania. Neither one can be considered as a part of "the action" but the walk is not that far away from Times Square and Broadway theatres.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 8/6/06 at 06:15 PM

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#17re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/6/06 at 10:10pm

I have stayed at the Hotel Edison. It is a nice hotel, the only problem that we had is that you are unable to control the heat. I went in November and it was unseasonably warm until the last night that we were there and they cranked up the heater, but you can not control it. I don't think that it will be a problem in December/Jan. though.

I agree about the Hotel Belvedere, it's in a great location and it is nice. A lot of perks as well.

Nath
#18re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:15pm

Radio City Apartments is booked out!

re: hotels etc...

plan b...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:17pm

The Milford Plaza is VERY NICE.

The Hotel Pennsylvania is filthy.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 09:17 PM

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#20re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:28pm

I have stayed at both the Belvedere and Radio City Apartments.

I loved the Belvedere. It is cleaner than the Radio City Apartments. Very conveniently located on 48th Street between 8th and 9th Ave (closer to 8th).

SweetQintheLights
#21re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:41pm

Nath, if I may ask, what dates are you coming?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#22re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:11pm

Nath, I suggest you check out the guest house information that I sent you. If it's available, you can't beat it at approximately one hundred dollars a night.

curly120
#23re: hotels etc...
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:56pm

You could also consider subletting. I just got back from two months in NYC and that's what I did. I don't know if you're allowed to talk about other websites on here, but there's one website where there are always people posting that they want to sublet their apartments for specific dates (day by day, week by week, etc). There are some people only asking for $30 a night. So that might be an option...

Nath
#24re: hotels etc...
Posted: 9/3/06 at 9:05pm

Updated On: 9/4/06 at 09:05 PM

Videos