pixeltracker

Telly Leung during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...

wishinguweresomehow Profile Photo
wishinguweresomehow
#0Telly Leung during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/13/06 at 11:45pm

So telly was phenomenal today as Toby in Four Season's production of SWEENEY. In fact, I went in thinking that the production may not be that great since I had barely heard anything about the theatre company. I went away in complete awe, not only with Telly's performance, but the entire cast's. All the principal characters were strong, and became their specific roles, which was awesome. However, the real gem of the show was the ensemble. I had never seen a more solid ensemble(regional, broadway, or West End) I was completely blown away. So awesome!!
Anyone else see the show today, or this weekend? What did y'all think?

"Not everyone can come and go by bubble"
Updated On: 8/14/06 at 11:45 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#1re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:52am

I think it's a little weird that you never once used his last name and expect everyone to know exactly who and what you're talking about.

(For the record, I do know who Telly Leung is.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Act0r721 Profile Photo
Act0r721
#2re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 12:54am

Ha, well, if they don't know who Telly is, they're not going to know who he is by giving the last name, either.

But who could not know Telly? =)

lukeboy25 Profile Photo
lukeboy25
#3re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 4:25am

Awww! Thank you so much from the ensemble. But truly Telly did do an amazing job and was so fasinating to work with. I'm sorry if my spelling is a little off. I'm still slightly drunk from one of our cast parties ( telly knew better than to drink with a cast from wisconsin ha ha). Telly heads back to Ny tommorow...sadness. All of us will miss him. I wish him wonderful opportunities and a little bit of luck as well I miss you already Telly! Luke.

I always try to save a couple of the marshmallows till the very end but I never make it. I always end up with a bunch of flake things and pink milk...my mind wanders. - Garden State

halyiaganitefiz
#4re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:19am

Agreed. Telly was fabulous. His accent was great. :]

And definitely agreed: the ensemble was absolutely incredible.. I can't remember the last show I saw with an ensemble that strong. It was not overpowering, although it came close a few times; but I understood the words in "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir" and "God That's Good" so much clearer than ever before. And "City on Fire" actually had me bouncing my feet in anxiety, there was so much energy overflowing the stage.

Bravo, Four Seasons!

#5re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 11:56am

My question is why Telly would leave a show that will run another 2 years to do one weekend in Wisconsin? No offense, but does he have another gig lined up?

ItsCalledHistory
#6re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 2:46pm

I'm sure he had a multitude of reasons for leaving... it's tough doing the same show week after week, even if the money is great... plus when your home is in New York you tend to miss your family, friends and other professional opportunites that may come along.

I would imagine all performers think twice before leaving any gig and seriously weigh all of their options before making any decision.

And yes, Telly does have another gig lined up... he's doing Godspell at Paper Mill Playhouse this Fall.

wishinguweresomehow
#7re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/14/06 at 6:22pm

He's been doing WICKED for the past year, and he told me that he needed to find something new and exciting to broaden his horizons. Also, Toby is one of, if not his favorite role ever. He had done several master classes at UW-Madison this past year, and was asked to perform with the the up and coming theatre company, and he couldnt pass that. And yes, he has several things in the works...only one which he is talking about right now(because the others are still in talks) He is doing GODSPELL at Papermill beginning at the end of next month.

So yay!

re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...

SilverSpoons Profile Photo
SilverSpoons
#8re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/15/06 at 4:49pm

I agree 100%. Telly and the entire cast had an exceptional performance on opening night when I was there. Sounds like the great performances continued throughout the run. Congrat's Four Seasons Theatre for a job well done!
Steve

"A character is a diamond that scratches every stone"

teddywhacker
#9re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/15/06 at 6:48pm

Thanks, Spoons. We had a lot of fun, and it was fascinating to watch Telly work...an awesome talent as well as a truly nice guy. As a member of the ensemble I can say we appreciate the nod, but remember that we wouldn't have been anything without the hard working people in the pit...Sweeney is almost entirely sung and our wonderful musicians worked their asses off to make us sound good...Kudos to the SWEENEY PIT! Good to see you at opening night friday...oh, and stop following me around or I will cut my niece loose on you. (You got that money you owe me yet?)
-Maurice, jr.

"Laughter is wine for the soul...the hilarious declaration made by man that life is worth living."-Sean O'Casey.
Updated On: 8/15/06 at 06:48 PM

teddywhacker
#10re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:15am

Interesting coincidental development-Dreamworks has confirmed that it has given the green light to a movie version of SWEENEY TODD, directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp in the title role. While I'm glad to see that Sondheim's version is finally going to get the Hollywood treatment, I have to admit to some uneasiness...a few questions for deliberation: Can Johnny Depp sing?...If so, can he sing well enough to cover the demands of the role?...If not, would Burton put the integrity of Sondheim's masterpiece at risk to accomidate Depp's limitation's? Thoughts, anyone?

"Laughter is wine for the soul...the hilarious declaration made by man that life is worth living."-Sean O'Casey.

wishinguweresomehow
#11re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:47am

TEDDY: Firstly, you are right...your pit deserves major kudos. I knew we were in for a fantastic afternoonevening the first few cords the pit played. They were FANTABULOUS! Then again, the entire show was awesome! So thank you so much for being awesome! In regards to the Depp as Sweeney, I think we may need to wait and see how it goes. I honestly think its a toss up. Either he will be awesome, and be the creepy persona that Johnny Depp has become known for, or he will not completely understand the role and what exactly Sweeney gets involved withdoes. I have never personally heard Depp sing, there are several interviews he has given stating that singing is where it somewhat began, blah blah(I'd kinda like to see for myself though). Then again, I would assume they would want to at least have him be able to carry a tune and work with him from there. Afterall, there is almost 6 months til the start of the production, and lots of improvement can happen in that time. Though, I am not sure exactly how much artistic control, if any Sondheim has in the production. You'd think a little, but the folks of Hollywood can be a crazy bunch of individuals. I do know, that Sondheim is in complete support of Burton's vision, whatever that means, so that should leave us a little relieved. If Sondheim supports it, we at least know it won't be complete crap. Lol.

re: Telly during Sweeney's matinee in Madison...

teddywhacker
#12Mel
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:35am

Although I am a fan of Mel Gibson's past work, I distance myself from his beliefs,and I can't help but forward this tag-line from "The Patriot": "I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me, and the cost is more than I can bear..."
...Thoughts?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#13Mel
Posted: 9/1/06 at 3:05pm

just got my little fingers on something I shouldn't have and Telly sounds amazing.
I don't know if he reads this board but wow.

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#14Mel
Posted: 9/1/06 at 4:25pm

I got to see the show on it's final day, and it was amazing. Everyone sounded fantastic. I think Telly will go far. From what he's told me, he's got some great things coming up.

Videos