pixeltracker

Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#0Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/29/06 at 1:30pm

Time to give Moviefone and Fandango a rest and see live theater with live actors live and in person for the best entertainment in town! Here are two shows you won't want to miss:

INTO THE WOODS (The Chance Theater, Anaheim) What, you've seen Into the Woods before? What musical theater fan hasn't? Actually, that's even more reason to see Oanh Nguyen's brilliant reinvisioning of this contemporary Sondheim classic. I loved Jon Lawrence Rivera's recent monochromatic warzone Woods at the Actor's CoOp but some felt it veered too far from fairy tale look of the original. Nguyen keeps the look at least semi-traditional (but always with a twist), yet from the moment you enter the darkened theater with the multitasking ensemble members lurking around and literally above the audience as forest creatures of the night, you know you're in for a Woods like no other.

I'm not good enough a wordsmith to describe the way John Robinson's fluid set, Tonya R. Moake's mood-enhancing lighting, and Cassandra L. Stone's delightful costumes combine to bring life to Nguyen's vision; suffice it to say they are extraordinary. And though Woods doesn't have dance numbers per se, I absolutely loved Kelly Todd's choreography (something which I've tended not to notice in other productions of Woods, of which this was my 8th!)

There's not a weak performance in the 13 member ensemble. Special credit must be extended to the "Greek chorus of 6" (Michelle Anderson, Josh Christoff, Sherry Domerego, Krystal Cori Garcia, A.J. Gutierrez, and Peter Schnake--all of them excellent) who each get to play multiple characters and play musical instruments of one variety or another. Domerego is especially lucky (as well as excellent) as BOTH Jack's mother and Cinderella's stepmother (one of Nguyen's inspirations). The Princes (fine-voiced Christoff and charismatic Gutierrez) make deliberately mismatched but hilarious royal brothers, and Gutierrez is an adorably ferocious Wolf as well. Lowe Taylor brings a goofy warmth to the Baker's wife (she's one to watch!) and Erika C. Miller's lovely Cinderella succeeds royally at On The Steps of the Palace, one of Sondheim's trickiest songs ever. Warren Draper proves that there's hotness after 40 as the Narrator (a sexy narrator in Woods is usually an oxymoron) and his quirky Mysterious Man is a hoot, and Jocelyn A. Brown, last seen as an exquisite Cathy in The Last Five Years, gets to be first witchy, then young and glamorous as the Witch--another fantastic performance.

Finally, Bob Simpson, Sarah Moreau, and Jeremy Lelliott are perhaps the best Baker, Red Ridinghood, and Jack I've ever seen. Simpson surpasses his sensational work in TL5Y and Blake: Da Musical. He's a dynamic performer who commands the stage in every role, bringing his manic energy but also tenderness to the role of the Baker. Moreau is the sweetest, cutest, geekiest Red Ridinghood ever--just watching her legs move this way and that is worth the price of admission. And Lelliott (marvelous and heartbreaking in a recent L.A. production of Nicholas Nickleby) is perfection as dim-witted but well meaning and warm-hearted Jack. Have I praised these performers too much? Do you doubt me? Just drive on down to the OC and see for yourself. Only 2 (maybe 3) more weeks, so DON'T MISS THIS SHOW!!!

And also playing at the same theater is COYOTE ON A FENCE--a harrowing and yet often very funny play about two very different deathrow inmates, a reflection on the death penalty and the (very flawed) American justice sytem. Richard Comeau, Casey Long, Annie Mezzacappa, and Karen Webster make up the outstanding cast, with fine direction by Patricia Ansuini. You can see both shows on a Saturday or Sunday, with a break inbetween for a quick bite to eat. I recommend this option, as both deserve to be seen.

CHANCE THEATER WEBSITE Updated On: 8/29/06 at 01:30 PM

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#1re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/29/06 at 5:09pm

I am going this Thursday night...thanks for the review! I saw The Last 5 Years there, and I loved Jocelyn's performance as Cathy, but was not impressed in the least with Bob's Jamie. I am so glad to hear he makes a great Baker. (The part is not as high as Jamie, so I believe I'll like him better this time.)

AngusN
#2re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 6:56am

I wish, more than anything ... that I could see this production. However, Manchester, England, is a little too far to travel.
I just love this show and this one sounds pretty fantastic.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 7:58am

WOW! I have the time off coming up- a four day weekend- "I wish" I also had the $$$$$ to come out and see this re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC! One of my favorite shows of all times. It seems like such a great production.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 9:54am

Warren Draper proves that there's hotness after 40 as the Narrator (a sexy narrator in Woods is usually an oxymoron)
Oh, thank God! It is so nice to know that there is ONE person over 40 that you consider sexy. This will come as a great relief to many. Could you post a picture of him so we can see what it is that makes you swoon for someone close to your own age?

PEACE.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#5re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 11:34am

Wait why would you split the roles of the Wolf?

That's one of the central themes of the show.

That alone tells me this production is lacking some sort of vision if that is in fact the case.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

BSoBW2
#6re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 11:39am

Seems like one wolf:

# Rapunzel, Lucinda, Player : Michelle Anderson
# The Witch : Jocelyn A. Brown
# Cinderella's Prince, Giant, Player : Josh Christoff
# Jack's Mother, Stepmother, Player : Sherry Domerego
# Narrator, Mysterious Man, and One Other : Warren Draper
# Florinda, Cinderella's Mother, Player : Krystal Cori Garcia
# Rapunzel's Prince, The Wolf, Giant, Player : A.J. Gutierrez
# Jack : Jeremy Lelliott
# Cinderella : Erika C. Miller
# Little Red : Sarah Moreau
# Steward, Cinderella's Father, Player : Peter Schnake
# The Baker : Bob Simpson
# Baker's Wife : Lowe Taylor

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#7re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 11:41am

Ok I'm rereading this now and it does make sense. Whew. Almost lost it there. I find the Wolf/Prince relationship to be one of the most interesting and complex in the entire show and it's always a terrible shame when they split them just to suit the needs of a larger ensemble.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

BSoBW2
#8re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 1:14pm

The revival had two wolves though, no?

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#9re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 2:57pm

I don't understand. If Rapunzel is also Florinda, does Rapunzel not get together with her Prince at the end of Act I? Rapunzel and Prince are supposed to be in "Ever After" as well as Florinda, who has a solo. How does that work? And isn't there a point when Jack's Mom and Cinderella's Stepmom are in the same scene about the giant?

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

FindingNamo
#10re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 10:55pm

I'm confused about whom Mr. Miss Stanley has addressed his post to? Who is on Moviefone or Fandango? Has anybody here ever even mentioned those sites?

This is Broadwayworld, why does he say "see live theater with live actors live and in person" as if this is something unheard of here? Who is he talking to? This site is LOADED with people who see live theater with live actors live and in person.

I fear that enough blood is not making it to his brain and he's become demented.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

DezBryner
#11re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/30/06 at 11:59pm

Thanks for the info. I just got my ticket and will check it out.

defygravity2
#12re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 8/31/06 at 10:00am

Finding Namo.....be nice.

He's back, and I like him, so be nice! He has provided excellent info in the past. Please leave him alone, and not go there.

Welcome back Stephen, and thank you for the review! I'm going tonight, and I am really looking forward to it!

Updated On: 8/31/06 at 10:00 AM

defygravity2
#13re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 9/1/06 at 3:05am

LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! Everybody in So Cal go see this one-very impressive performances!

Hi to the guy selling tickets tonight....(you knew way too much about me). Your company did a great job!

DezBryner
#14re: Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!
Posted: 9/9/06 at 4:39pm

Saw this production last night. Thoroughly enjoyable time. I'd never been to this little theatre before and the talent there was extremely impressive. I was down in the front row and wished I would've been a bit further back. Perhaps that would've helped me hear more of a blend when the actors sang together. There are some huge voices in that cast and some were a bit over-powering from my perspective. Also, since I'm being picky, the tempos seemed just a hair quick. There were times when Jack and the piano were no where close to each other...he was spitting out words as fast as he could and the piano was just going to the races.
The Baker and his wife, Red Riding Hood, and the Witch were the great stand-outs of the piece. Prince Charming had a good voice, but his eyes weren't playing the part. Rapunzel's prince/Wolf did a great job acting, but his voice was just a little tired. He kind of looked like he was hurting himself vocally. Cinderella has a gorgeous voice and was a wonderful actress, but I expected to hear her better in such a small setting. She just lacked a little power to my ears. Jack and his mother did an impressive job as did the supporting players who were changing sets, portraying the giant, and playing tamborine and trumpet when needed.
Overall I had a good time. The great thing about that size theatre is that you really feel connected to the actors. The down-side is that the audience didn't feel like theatre-going people and therefore the laughs were a bit forced. I tried to help, but as an audience member you have to drop being self-conscience in order to get into the show and that's a big request for people who aren't used to it. The whole room feels like everyone is watching you.
I'll definitely keep my eye out for future productions at this theatre.
Updated On: 9/9/06 at 04:39 PM