Thumbelina-The Musical

camach1
#0Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:26pm

Has anyone ever seen the movie Thumbelina? If so don't you think it would make a great musical. All the songs are anazing.All they would have to do was write some more songs and enhance the story a little bit.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#1re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:30pm

I haven't seen it in a long time, but isn't Thumbalina the size of your thumb? Not quite sure how that would work on stage...

Holly Therese Profile Photo
Holly Therese
#2re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 7:31pm

I always loved Carol Channing singing the Marry the Mole song :-p

"You know, with the right volume, Patti LuPone can make a car bounce, too...." -Wonderwaiter

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#3re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:07pm

I'm a big Lotto/SR/SRO person, but I think I would pay full front row ticket price to see Charo perform her frog character live.

That woman makes my life worth while.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

ThankstoPhantom
#4re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:23pm

^That WOULD be worth it.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

ThankstoPhantom
#5re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:23pm

^That WOULD be worth it.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Aqualline2 Profile Photo
Aqualline2
#6re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:26pm

"I would pay full front row ticket price to see Charo perform her frog character live."

I agree whole-heartedly!

Coolkid123
#7re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:31pm

I would love to see it, but only if they cut the part out about the Frogs kidnapping Thumbelina.

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#8re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:33pm

i.e the best part of the show, featuring Charo's character, the most entertaining of the entire movie.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Coolkid123
#9re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 8:35pm

Is there a reason you are against everything I say?

Who is Charo?

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#10re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 9:56pm

Coochie-coochie-coo!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#11re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:00pm

Well, William Finn wrote the songs for the THUMBELINA animated film from the 1990s, if that is indeed the film being referenced in this thread. Finn sometimes includes songs he wrote for the project that were eventually cut, such as "Welcome To My Hole", in his various cabaret showcases. The aforementioned song, while performed in the live show, is not on the recording of INFINITE JOY. The score is quite a treat, and the cut songs I have heard measure up quite well.

I bet if someone approached Finn it wouldn't be that difficult to get him to add a couple songs and get a bookwriter to fashion an entertaining show out of it. The problem is, I don't see this as a particularly viable property, but there have been many worse ideas that ended up brilliant.

A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely,
P genre

NYLG Profile Photo
NYLG
#12re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/23/06 at 10:20pm

I LOVED that movie - even after watching it a gazillion times with my daughter. If I recall correctly, Barry Manilow has something to do with the music. OY!

Jodi Benson was the voice of Thumbelina and Barbara Cook was the voice of Thumbelina's mother. I had gotten a demo cassette (YES...cassette - it was a LONG time ago) before the film was released. I only played it in the car...for my then toddler, and I remember thinking...WHAT is this crap? Silly me.

ETA: Pgenre - I think you are referring to "THE ADVENTURES OF TOM THUMB & THUMBELINA...music by William Finn, which is a different film from Don Bluth's THUMBELINA being referenced above.

If you'd have been there...If you'd have seen it...I betcha you would have done the same! - CHICAGO
Updated On: 9/23/06 at 10:20 PM

VIETgrlTerifa
#13re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:20am

Can you imagine Charo and Carol Channing on one stage? Who would play Thumbelina? Cheno is short enough...imagine...Channing, Charo, and Cheno....

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

LiLMuNkEe22 Profile Photo
LiLMuNkEe22
#14re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:28am

ahahahahhahahahaha. genius.

some things are meant to be...

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#15re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/24/06 at 12:29am

"Welcome To My Hole"?!?

That sounds rather suggestive, if you ask me.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#16re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/29/06 at 6:39pm

I think All Dogs Go To Heaven would be a much better idea (if they make some book adjustments), though I would love to play the swallow if Thumb. became a show.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#17re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/29/06 at 7:03pm

Manilow wrote the music for the Thumbelina animated movie and it was rather enjoyable. I am not sure how you would handle the thumb sized prince and the love of his life, but it would be an entertaining family show for the stage if you could figure out how to do that.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

missyrose87
#18re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/29/06 at 10:11pm

They could still make a show out of it even though she is supposed to be small. you just have to make everything else big. They made a play about it.

Bal
#19re: Thumbelina-The Musical
Posted: 9/30/06 at 1:24am

Christopher Fitzgerald could play Cornelius...! (I adore him.. I think he's really underrated as a performer).

I really think Cheno's getting too mature-looking for Thumbelina... But I think Amy Spanger would be really cute.

I CANNOT think of anyone to replace Charo and Channing.

For the swallow, I'm thinking Peter Flynn. Or Douglas Sills.

Um, yes. I think it would be a neat stage show.

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88