pixeltracker

"Evil Dead: The Musical"- Page 3

"Evil Dead: The Musical"

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#50re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 3:53pm

well Evil Dead has always been a comical look @ horror movies. i never saw them as "hide-behind-my-hands" scary. it's always been farsical.

however, we do live in America and we are free to do whatever we want to do here.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#51re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 4:19pm

Every now and then I find myself doing the Necronomicon.

And Jenna Coker is, without question, the standout.
I'm blanking on his name (Ryan Ward?) warms up in the lead role of Ash and, by the time the demons are coming, he's fully channeling Bruce Campbell and the effect is excellent.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#52re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 4:20pm

Ken, I'm wondering why your wife would want to see this show? It's all about blood and gore (in a comical way, as folky said).

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

FrontRowFan
#53re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 4:25pm

a

DirectorHaley
#54re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 8:19pm

I'd say see the movies if you can (they're awesome and hilarious, a must for any lover of camp), but I think you could still have a good time not knowing them, considering it's really just a parody of the standard zombie/demon/slasher/abandoned-cabin-in-the-woods formula. there are lots of specific references to the films, but luckily both the source material and the musical are just plain funny. if you don't have time to watch a whole trilogy beforehand, you'll still be laughing if you have a basic understanding of crappy horror films.

and bwaysinger, I love the Necronomicon! been doing it all week :)

www.anewzero.org

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#55re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 9:38pm

b

"Have they come yet?"

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#56re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/10/06 at 10:04pm

The people familiar with the films are having the best time. We've got people yelling out lines with the show!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#57re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/11/06 at 2:07am

one of my favorite movies of all time.......I cdan't imagine it as a musical.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#58re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/11/06 at 3:45am

c

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#59re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/11/06 at 8:16am

Jane2,

She'll see it since it's comical and a musical. Doesn't like the scary horror stuff. "When a Stanger Calls" is her lesat favorite movie of all time....

Ken

CJR
#60re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/11/06 at 10:20am

My aunt saw it Saturday night.... she LOVED it. She was also right in the 'splash zone' and wound up covered in fake blood. As she said "it was most excellent" re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical' lol

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

chrrymn
#61re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/11/06 at 12:13pm

Thanks guys. I had no clue it was a trilogy! I'll try and watch them beforehand.

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

#62re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/12/06 at 5:03pm

it has been my experience that while the hard core EVIL DEAD fans are by far the loudest in the audience, they are not the only ones who have a great time. in fact, i can't recall a single person who didn't enjoy themselves... and i was at over 65 individual shows as the production manager of both toronto runs, as well as the montreal run.

additionally, i know of numerous people who had never seen the movies who still had an amazing time at the shows. and while there were some "inside jokes" they didn't see coming... there wasn't much at all they didn't understand. (my parents and aunts and uncles, for example, loved the show and none of them have ever seen the movies)

so i would say: watch the movies before if you want to... they are fun afterall. but don't feel as though it's required to be able to enjoy the show. it really does stand on it's own.

and lets be clear... this is EVIL DEAD the musical... anyone expecting anything other than silly campy fun with a healthy serving of fake blood and goofy-gore is fooling themselves about what kind of show this is.

oh, and no, it doesn't suck. it's actually a hell of a lot of fun! i highly recommend this show to anyone who wants to laugh... horror fan or not.

personally, i'm flying in from toronto just to see the show... i'm going on opening night, november 1st... so i'll tell you how this run compares to the our previous ones. but i'm sure i won't be dissapointed!

jexi
#63re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/19/06 at 9:10pm

just curious about the student rush for this show...has anyone done it? and are student rush tickets in the splatter zone? thanks!

chrrymn
#64re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/19/06 at 11:57pm

I was told by a co-worker that Bruce Campbell is from Knoxville, TN. I can't find any info backing that up, anyone know?

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#65re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/20/06 at 12:14am

He's from Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Campbell

And I highly recommend "If Chins Could Kill." re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MandaGurl
#66re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/21/06 at 3:14pm

Seeing this tonight!! I soooo cannot wait!!

-Amanda*

"No, this is the touch of class, not the touch of what you just said." -The Wedding Singer "Its like my mother always used to say, whenever you hear a strange and possible life-threatening noise coming from the dark woods outide,there is only one thing you should do. Dont tell any of the others and go invsetigate it alone." All the men in my life keep getting killed by Candarian demons, all my college boyfriends and my one night stands, my male co-workers and platonic gay friends (HEY)." -EVIL DEAD THE MUSICAL

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#67re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/22/06 at 4:50am

Ugh, what a disappointment this show was.

Listen, I love the genre. Take a mediocre horror film and make it a musical? I'm there.

But this show failed on every level.

There were NO characters. "Little Shop" was a crappy horror film that became a great musical. Why? Because there was craft. There was songwriting. There was talent.

"Bat Boy" was a terrific musical, because there was CRAFT. There was terrific songwriting. There were characters one could care about.

"Evil Dead" had nothing. No characters. No songs. No witty lyrics.

There is no point to this show. Perhaps, if you loved the film, and you've never seen a musical in your life, you might enjoy this.

Otherwise, skip it.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#68re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/22/06 at 4:50am

Ugh, what a disappointment this show was.

Listen, I love the genre. Take a mediocre horror film and make it a musical? I'm there.

But this show failed on every level.

There were NO characters. "Little Shop" was a crappy horror film that became a great musical. Why? Because there was craft. There was songwriting. There was talent.

"Bat Boy" was a terrific musical, because there was CRAFT. There was terrific songwriting. There were characters one could care about.

"Evil Dead" had nothing. No characters. No songs. No witty lyrics.

There is no point to this show. Perhaps, if you loved the film, and you've never seen a musical in your life, you might enjoy this.

Otherwise, skip it.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#69re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/23/06 at 9:35am

Wife and I saw it in Friday - never saw the movies. Sat in the third row, which isn't bloodless, and I get get splattered quite a bit. Made those guys at the garage where we picked up our car wonder what happened to me!!! Starnge looks on their faces!

It was great fun, and we had a great time. Weren't bored at all, and never looked at our watches as we sometimes do if shows are slow moving. We are actually going to go again, bringing our 24 and 22 year old "kids" with us, and sitting in the second row this time, right in front of the trap door area!

Ken

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#70re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:13am

Glad to hear you had such a good time, Ken! I'm going to check the show out again because I heard there was some changes since the very beginning of previews, especially with the opening and closing scenes. I'm also going to work the opening night party which should be fun.

CJR
#71re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:24am

Ken, my aunt had a great deal of fun with all the blood that had been spattered on her. And actually after they'd all had dinner, the waitress came up to her and said "So, we have to know...... what happened to you? Is the blood fake or did something actually happen to you? Like, do you need help? Cause it's almost Halloween and we couldnt really tell" LOL

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

JailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
#72re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/23/06 at 11:57am

I cannot WAIT to see this. The orchestrator/music associate in the show that I'm currently in (The Flood) is also the conductor/pianist of Evil Dead, so I doubly want to go.

I am a HUUUUGE fan of the movies, and plan to wear ALL white and sit in the first row :-P

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.
Updated On: 11/27/06 at 11:57 AM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#73re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/23/06 at 12:36pm

Watched the movie (first one) for the first time last night (AFTER seeing the play). I like the play a LOT better than the movie! The movie was OK, but seems to move along too slow for me...

Question - why does the one guy NOT stay an Evil Dead person?
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 12:36 PM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#74re: 'Evil Dead: The Musical'
Posted: 10/24/06 at 3:12pm

bump