Company

flamenco_girl
#0Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 6:49am

I'm in NYC next month, and have already got tickets for Wicked and A Chorus Line.

I wondered if I should consider adding Company to my show list, even though it will still be in previews then. Has anyone heard any feedback on rehearsals?

Also, is it an accessible musical? I'm British (26 year old female) and I know that Sondheim is known for being more highbrow than say Andrew Lloyd Webber. Saying that, I did enjoy A Sunday in the Park with George earlier in the year in London.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#1re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:11am

If nothing else, watching Raul for two hours will be worth the price of the ticket and I'm sure you'll get much more!

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#2re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:13am

Do it! It's amazing! Company is the epitome of beautiful sondheim work and so worth it. You will laugh and maybe cry, but definitely have a good time! So go!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#3re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:14am

Company is a fine work of theatre, see it. Don't worry about it being previews, the cast has already been together in Cincinatti for a run.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#4re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 10:18am

I saw it in Cini. The show is top notch.

You'll love it.

flamenco_girl
#5re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 2:36pm

Thanks for your replies.

Does anyone have a link to reviews from Cincinatti? I can't seem to find the website for the show either.

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#6re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 2:37pm

Companyonbroadway.com

re: Company

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 2:41pm

I saw it regionally and even then, it was one of the most beautiful, perfect productions I have ever seen. It won't matter that the show is in previews, it's still worth seeing. I absolutely recommend it, in previews or not. The show is changing and will continue to change, but you will see wonderful work regardless. It's stunning.

It's very accessible, yes; much moreso than a lot of Sondheim's other works. It is what it says it is -- a show about relationships. It's timeless and very easy to relate to.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 10/8/06 at 02:41 PM

Marguerite Chauvelin
#8re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 2:53pm

If you plan to stagedoor at any of these shows, stagedoor Company. I was at on of the Cinci performances with a talk-back session and the cast was amazingly nice (Raul didn't stay for it though).

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

luvtheEmcee
#9re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 3:06pm

He's nice, too. :) I heard he was sick the day of the talkback? He's moody, but nice, and the rest of the cast was really sweet out there.

Updated On: 10/8/06 at 03:06 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 3:33pm

Some of my favorite Sondheim music. I didn't see the original and it is tops on my list to see when in New York. See it!

Just give the world Love.

luvtheEmcee
#12re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 4:14pm

Those reviews still make me grin like a fool. I was out there when they started being published, and I remember sitting in the hotel room with my mom after I had read them, saying "oh my God, this show is going to be such a big deal. We're about to see something huge." And I hope everyone who sees it here feels the same way.

Updated On: 10/8/06 at 04:14 PM

COOOOLkid
#13re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 4:18pm

Is this production of the show a bit harder to follow?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

luvtheEmcee
#14re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 4:20pm

Harder than what? I didn't find it confusing in the least. It's just... not a hard show to follow.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Company
Posted: 10/8/06 at 4:26pm

I am so upset that I will not get to see the show until March as I have had to cancel my trip to NYC in November.

Just an aside....If Doyle decides to do another Sondheim show, I hope it is "Merrily We Roll Along". I love the music and it has been in heavy rotation in my apt. for the past 5 months.

Just give the world Love.

Videos