The next Elphaba?

virgil blessing2 Profile Photo
virgil blessing2
#0The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 8:58pm

Okay, so, I bought 2 tkts. to "WICKED" for April 7, 2007 as an anniversary gift for my partner and I. The next Elphaba?

I know that Ana Gasteyer is slated to play "Elphaba" through Jan. 7, 2007. Has anyone heard any inside scoop as to her possibly extending? Or has anybody heard who will be moving into the role and definitely be playing it when we see it in April?

"I am not 'a' Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!!!"

Yankeefan007
#1re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:00pm

Ana most likely won't extend.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:00pm

Gasteyer is most surely leaving January 7th. No chance of an extension. No word yet on the replacement. It probably won't be cast until November.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#3re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:04pm

No chance of her extending. The role's been cast, but not announced. More recycling for Wicked.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#4re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:05pm

I bet its Kristy Cates.

alliez92092
#5re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:07pm

It's a tour member.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#6re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:07pm

Victoria Matlock.

bwayondabrain
#7re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:10pm

Julia Murney, maybe?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#8re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:13pm

Let's hope not. We don't need a goat on Broadway.

alliez92092
#9re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:16pm

What do you mean by "a goat"? I thought Julia was fantastic.

Joshua488
#10re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:17pm

A goat? Come on, people. Let's try to have some class.

virgil blessing2
#11re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:20pm

how r these ladies? any good?

any chance of Shoshana Bean coming back? i dug her the second time i saw WICKED and dug her work. i saw on her site that she's on the WICKED tour this Autumn in Portland, Toronto and Seattle, too. any chance she could be the one coming Back to B'way. after Ana flies off?

achancetofly Profile Photo
achancetofly
#12re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:20pm

That was an extremely unneccessary comment, DRS. Have we really gotten to the point where we have NO respect for ANY performers?

Julia Murney is an extremely talented performer, no matter whether you have an affinity towards a strong vibrato or not.

It's a matter of preference, not a matter of talent. Get over immature name-calling, please.

"Cages or wings, which do you prefer?"-- Tick, Tick...BOOM!

bwayondabrain
#13re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:21pm

virgil, i doubt Shoshana would return to the show in New York
sorry
re: The next Elphaba?

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#14re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:22pm

i've said it a billion times. but i really want it to be mandy gonzalez.

virgil blessing2
#15re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:23pm

really brian? oh! why is that? just curious.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:24pm

I really enjoyed Murney in the role.

She's probably the only recycled cast member I'd approve of promoting at this point (other than Saycon, but since I know her on as personal level, I'm a little biased.) Julia was able to combine very strong vocals with equally strong acting, and was simply electric. Her vibrato is an acquired taste, but I think she applied it well to the score here.

HOWEVER, I am a bit skeptical to believe she'd return. She made it very clear before she left the tour that her future with Wicked was ending then and there, and for her to come back at this point is something I'm weary of believing. I don't think it's completely out of the question, but it would deffinetly be a suprise.

If she is indeed coming to the NY company, I'll be seeing Wicked again this summer.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 10/29/06 at 09:24 PM

bwayondabrain
#17re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:27pm

virgil, if you were referring to my comment, um, i dont have any like personal info ive gotten from like shoshana or other sources, i just would guess that she probably wouldn't return, after just leaving the show this past January. it'd only be a year since she left the Broadway company, and i think after the tour, she may want to move onto other projects. but who knows! :) itd be cool if she came back, but i wouldnt see it happening, at least not this soon.

pippin2 Profile Photo
pippin2
#18re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:30pm

I'd love to see Saycon promoted to lead, she's extremely talented and has been standby for quite some time now.

BroadwayRandy0711 Profile Photo
BroadwayRandy0711
#19re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 9:39pm

IMO, I would love to see someone new and fresh to takeover both of the lead characters. I think recycling is ok, but there are so many other talented people that I think need a break into the business.

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#20re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:10pm

Saycon really does deserve a shot...she's been a standby for way too long.

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#21re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:16pm

I have tossed around the idea of Mandy G. too! I heard her doi a cover of "Defying Gravity" in one of Neil Berg's shows and it was FANTASTIC! She would be more than great in the role.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

ashley0139
#22re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:18pm

Julia Murney was perfect in the role. She is the only person that would make me see that show again (and made me see it for a 2nd and 3rd time). And saying something like that is completely immature, unnecessary, and inaccurate. I know it's an opinion thing, but why would you even consider saying something like that? What is the point?

That said, I would bet a huge amount of money she's not coming back. And I hope she doesn't- I want to see her in bigger and better things.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#23re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:19pm

i would love to see mandy gonzalez as elphaba. i would actually go see the show again without a fight.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#24re: The next Elphaba?
Posted: 10/29/06 at 10:20pm

I agree! Mandy Gonzalez would be amazing in this role (I saw her sing Defying Gravity at one of Neil's shows as well)! If they do recyle, I really hope they bring Kristy Cates back to Broadway. She has developed the role so well!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott