pixeltracker

Les Miserables Review 11/4- Page 3

Les Miserables Review 11/4

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#50re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:06pm

He was great!

(Although his death "tableau" was a little hokey, IMO--it actually inspired some giggles in the audience)

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 06:06 PM

jimmycurry01
#51re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:10pm

Do you hate Daphne as an actress, or do you simply hate her in this role? What else have you seen her in? I enjoy her as an actress myself, though I freely admit that Fantine is probably not a good vocal match for her.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#52re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:14pm

(Although his death "tableau" was a little hokey, IMO--it actually inspired some giggles in the audience)

Wow. Well, I'm glad you liked him, anyway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#53re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:19pm

I've always like Daphne in the past. And some of her acting choice are interesting in this role. However, the part requires the audience to "fall" for her very quickly. She hasn't been able to quite do that yet...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#54re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:30pm

Huh, I've never heard an audience react to Enjolras' death like that before -- how is it different this goaround that might prompt giggles?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#55re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:35pm

His body hangs there, but the current set is much more rickety and wiggles while it turns and he hangs there jiggling. As it's just a device to let the other actors exit the barricade, it seems to take WAY too long to turn and seems contrived. I get the idea of the "image", but it just didn't play as powerfully as before.

lightinthepizza
#56re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/6/06 at 6:23pm

Yeah I always worry about Enjolras falling off. Hard pose to hold yourself in, especially if the audience is laughing at you. Aaarghh!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#57re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:39am

Aw, that's unfortunate. I've seen that happen with the skinnier Enjolrases. (And Aaron Lazar is pretty slim, right?)

Maybe they need to reinforce that thing, and/or teach the dead barricade boys to move more smoothly. re: Les Miserables Review 11/4

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#58re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 8:20am

The fact that 90% of the talk on this board is about Daphne indicates that there's a problem. Especially since most of it isn't positive. That shouldn't be..... Something about first impressions....

And if someone saw the show, they all are entitled to their opinions, good or bad.

I really didn't like her, but will be going back after the opening to see if the show has improved or not.

Again, just my opinion. Go Celia!

musicalsFan
#59re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:33am

And you "ken3861" is a major contributor to the "90%" of the posts about Daphne.

Since this is Election Day, the term for that sort of thing is called stuffing the ballot.

Sort of reminds me of GW Bush's henchmen. If you repeat a negative enough times, the public will think it is so.
Updated On: 11/7/06 at 09:33 AM

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#60re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:57am

Ahh . . . so those of us who love Daphne just have to keep repeating how wonderful she is. Every time Ken posts something negative, all of us Daphne supporters will have to jump in with a positive. re: Les Miserables Review 11/4

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Yankeefan007
#61re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:59am

She was good.

And that's all I have to say.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#62re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 11:48am

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread ... but did they lower the song for her in the last 10 days? That, plus recovering from flu, is rumored to be a help in her recent improvement. I read that here or at the Other Board.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#63re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 11:57am

I know that they were lowering it for her in preparation for her final audition. I remember thinking at the time that it must make "But the Tigers come at night..." pretty low

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

p.s.
#64re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:07pm

I agree with you Ken, and I was singing the same tune
[ I saw two performances the first week ] --

Then the Nov 5 matinee: Dapne was wonderful. A real miracle?
She didn't miss a note or drop a syllable and she appeared comfortable on stage.

Yes, see the show again.
I will -- hoping that the "miracle" continues.

p.s. Total agreement about Celia as well. Hail Celia!

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#65re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:12pm

I'm seeing it tonight and will report back.

theminutepast
#66re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:50pm

In response to the part about the Enjolras death: I sometimes find it funny when the actor freaks out, shouts, and climbs up the barricade. It's just that freak-out moment which can be funny. I've only seen a few actors do this.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#67re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 1:01pm

IMO, if they had to lower the key for her just so she could sing IDAD decently, that’s pretty bad. And before you say anything, imagine Bring Him Home in a lower key.

I’m not a believer in adapting songs/choreography to accommodate a performer. There are plenty of people out there who can do the stuff as written.

Updated On: 11/7/06 at 01:01 PM

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#68re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 1:23pm

Hum- I think that view is a little myopic. While I think that the Lowering IDAD is a little weird, I don't think that Adjusting Keys is a bad thing at all. Keep in mind that when a show is created, songs are usually adjusted to suit the vocal quality of the performers that were hired. Colm wilkinson, when talking about taking on Valjean in the ver beginning said that they originally were looking for a baritone for the role, but they kept raising the keys for him. Now I am not advocating changing things so drastically that Bring Him Home turns into a song for Michel Bell, but little tweaks are quite common. There are whole alternate sets of Orchestra books written in different keys that are kept on hand. It would be like saying that everyone who plays Glinda should be 4'11 because that is how it was originally cast.
That being said, it seems that LOWERING IDAD is strange. Now Raising it...that might be interesting

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#69re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 1:45pm

Yes, they changed the key to suit Colm’s voice, but that became the “set” key for all Valjeans hereafter. Unless the Fantine understudies also sing IDAD in a lower key, they are catering to one actress’s limitations. I just don't see why that is necessary with all the talent that's out there. Updated On: 11/7/06 at 01:45 PM

p.s.
#70re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 2:30pm

If you go to LizzieCurry's Talkinbroadway.com link
[You might like this: http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=323750]

Then click Home; Broadway Reviews.
Page down to "Past Broadway Reviews".
Find 2002-2003 Season
Les Miserables (Revisited).

You'll find interesting review by Matthew Murray- July, 2002.

He seems to express a problem with that Fantine in terms of acting, voice and range.

It is ok that our Fantine is different than that Fantine or other Fantines.

p.s. Daphne, beginning Nov 5, is different than Daphne Oct 24-Nov 4.

By the way: Hail Celia!

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#71re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 3:06pm

Interesting review. I've seen a few of those performers on tour, and I disagree with some of his points. (If anyone had worn out a role, it was Diana Kaarina.)

Whatever I guess. Maybe it’s my passive absolute pitch, but key changes (even by a half step) usually drive me crazy.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#72re: Les Miserables Review 11/4
Posted: 11/7/06 at 4:22pm

I'll be happy to post again after seeing Daphne a second time - maybe she HAS changed for the better! I really hope she has! Some indicate a miracle HAS occured! I'll be thrilled if it has!

I do have a relatively open mind, I only post on what I've actually seen/experienced (unfortunately it was bad), and of course it's always just my opinion - your mileage may vary...

And yes, Hail Celia (hopefully SHE hasn't changed!)