News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 1:54pm

From Playbill.com:

By Zachary Pincus-Roth
04 Dec 2006

Kristin Chenoweth, the current star of Broadway's The Apple Tree, and Nathan Lane, the current star of Butley, are developing a sitcom pilot together.

According to The New York Times, the sitcom is about a pair of talk-show hosts reminiscent of Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa, who host the syndicated "Live with Regis & Kelly."

Chenoweth starred in the sitcom "Kristin" that lasted six episodes on NBC in 2001. Her other TV credits include "The West Wing," "Frasier," "Sesame Street," Marian in "The Music Man" and Lily in "Annie." She is the inspiration for the character of Harriet Hayes in the NBC drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," created by her ex-boyfriend Aaron Sorkin.

Lane starred in such short-lived television shows as "Charlie Lawrence," "Encore! Encore!" and "One of the Boys." His other television credits include guest spots on "Frasier" (Emmy nomination), "Mad About You" (Emmy nomination) and "Sex and the City."

Chenoweth has appeared on Broadway in Wicked (Tony nomination), You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (Tony, Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle Awards), Steel Pier and Epic Proportions. Off-Broadway credits include Scapin, Dames at Sea, The Fantasticks and A New Brain and she has appeared in the Encores! series in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever and Strike Up the Band. She is also a recording artist and opera singer. Her film credits include the current "Deck the Halls," "Running With Scissors" and a bit role as a TV interviewer in "Stranger Than Fiction."

Lane has won Tony Awards for The Producers and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and has also appeared on Broadway in Present Laughter, Merlin, Some Americans Abroad, On Borrowed Time, Guys and Dolls, Laughter on the 23rd Floor, Love! Valour! Compassion!, The Man Who Came to Dinner, The Odd Couple and The Frogs (co-author). His Off-Broadway credits include Dedication and many other Terrence McNally plays. He has appeared in more than 25 films, including "The Birdcage" " Mousehunt" "The Lion King," "Nicholas Nickleby" and "The Producers."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#1re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 1:59pm

That sounds amazing! Love 'em both!!

ByMySide25
#2re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:11pm

This could be either really good or really bad. Lets hope the writers are smart.

"Everybody has a different idea of love. One girl I know said, 'I knew he loved me when he didn't come in my mouth.'" ~ Andy Warhol
Updated On: 12/4/06 at 02:11 PM

SporkGoddess
#3re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:14pm

God I hope it isn't like Kristin's old sitcom.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#4re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:15pm

Lets hope for BRILLIANT writers and lots and lots of theatre guest stars. (I would also hope for filming in NY but I don't know if that will be possible.)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Yankeefan007
#5re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:22pm

It'll fail completely, unless it's brilliantly written - not too smart to turn viewers off, not too dumb to keep viewers watching....talk show sitcoms have been done and have failed miserably. I personally believe that Lane and Chenoweth's personalities are too broad for television.

Chances are it would tape in NYC, there are enough sitcom spaces in Queens and Manhattan.
Updated On: 12/4/06 at 02:22 PM

RentBoy86
#6re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:28pm

I agree Yankee. I think Lane and Cheno are too "big" for television, but we'll see. With any show, if it's good it'll be good.

philcrosby
#7re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:35pm

It could work if it had brilliant writers like FRASIER. That show had a larger-than-life feel as well. Look at all the failures much bigger stars (Bette Midler, for example) had when the show was simply not well written.

bella cantato
#8re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:41pm

let's hope for a NYC filming AND that it's filmed in front of a live studio audience (assuming it's one of those "laugh track" sitcoms)

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

EganFan2
#9re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:42pm

Meh. I hope it's not like that SNL skit with Will Farrell and Sheri Oteri as talk show hosts a la Reege and Kathie Lee.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#10re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 2:59pm

"It could work if it had brilliant writers like FRASIER. That show had a larger-than-life feel as well."

I agree---the writing will make or break this show----but I'm very excited!!!!!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#11re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 3:17pm

It'll be like the movie that Madonna and Bill Cosby could have made together!

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#12re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 4:07pm

Lane isn't a really good choice. Just isn't the tv type. But Kristen is. Dhe even reminds me a Kelly Ripa! Either way good luck

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#13re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 5:03pm

This could be interesting. Loved her in the West Wing...

jasobres
#14re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 5:09pm

I wish they had more info about it. When they say that they're "developing" a sitcom, does that mean that they are creating it?

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#15re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 5:21pm

I think the two of them together would be hysterical!

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#16re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 5:39pm

When they say that they're "developing" a sitcom, does that mean that they are creating it?

It's already been created..at least the basic idea. It means the basic premise is there..and characters and more of the story are being worked on (fleshed out..so to speak)..

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 5:49pm

As good as Lane is, he appears to be the kiss of death on TV

He is sort of like Don Rickles. Every show Rickles tried flopped & he was hot at the time.

Stay on Broadway Nathan

Poster Emeritus

NathanLaneStalker
#18re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:02pm

He's only had 3 fails at it he should try again. He had 2 hit TV shows and 2 flops.....the 2 hit ones being cartoons don't help but you get the idea re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! I hope it happens soon. I have never seen Kristin's show but I saw one episode of Charlie Lawrence and it's not a wonder why it was cancelled but it wasn't horrible.

Like someone has said already, it could be really good or really bad.

This is not going to be the next Seinfeld or Fraiser but then again....what is?

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#19re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:16pm

Like them both.

But this show will happen when hell freezes over.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 12/4/06 at 06:16 PM

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#20re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:21pm

It really doesn't seem like it'll be good. Prove me wrong, Kristin!

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#21re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 6:49pm

They are amazing but it is way to early to tell.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#22re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 7:10pm

I really, really, hope this is a hit, but most sitcoms really aren't working out these days. Maybe they'll be one of the lucky ones.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Gothampc
#23re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 7:17pm

This is what should come from a Lane/Chenoweth pairing.

Picture it: Depression era America. Two con artists, a brother and sister team, travel across America performing vaudeville shows in small towns. One is a song/dance man who hits the bottle a little too often creating situations that put him in hot water and keep him running from the local sheriffs. The other is his bubble headed assistant. Her talent involves shaking her Jazz Age fringe and enticing men to fork over their blue collar wages.

Special guest star: James Naughton as the FBI agent hot on their trail.

Various weeks have cameos by:
Angela Lansbury - a small town church organist who is conned out of the church's mortgage payment
Chita Rivera - a bordello owner who tries to "befriend" Chenoweth
Rachel Griffiths - a young mother yearning for a glamorous life and to get out of the hole in the road town she lives in
Emma Thompson - a spinster schoolteacher who gets smitten by Lane's Shakesperian repartee
Patti LuPone - an Italian immigrant who runs a roadside cafe and teaches Lane Italian love songs
Robert Sean Leonard - a young widower who fancies Chenoweth
Victor Garber - a small town vaudeville theater owner

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

NathanLaneStalker
#24re: Chenoweth and Lane Developing Sitcom
Posted: 12/4/06 at 7:22pm

Actually Gothampc.....not a bad idea.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Videos