Beaches

Gothampc
#1Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 10:56am

I'm surprised nobody has tapped this movie for a Broadway musical. It has two great female roles. It is a bit schmaltzy, a bit of a chick flick, but that could be worked out. Would it be feasible to ditch all the music and bring in all new songs? Could it be "Bette Midler Presents..." ala The Color Purple?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#1re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 10:57am

Please....no more musicals based on wide-appeal movies.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 10:59am

Terrible idea. Maybe if they went back to the original book - but -- no - just lets not go there.

Gothampc
#3re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:01am

"Please....no more musicals based on wide-appeal movies."

Unfortunately, I think that trend is here to stay. It already has built-in publicity.

It could be the long awaited reunion of Emily Skinner and Alice Ripley.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Michael Bennett
#4re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:06am

Emily Skinner screams Jewish to me. That's for sure. BEACHES is just a horrible movie. Horrible. Now, I thought it was amazing when it opened (I was about 12 years old) - but every time I watch parts of it on TV now I just feel - embarrassed for everyone involved.

I actually feel most embarrassed remembering the print ads for BEACHES with a quote from some critic saying something like "they should just mail the Oscar to Bette Midler now for this movie" Oy.

Gothampc
#5re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:07am

It could reunite Chenoweth and Menzel!! Chenoweth could finally get the chance to win her Tony over Menzel.

Michael Bennett
#6re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:10am

How about a reunion of Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur - they are perfect for BEACHES.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:11am

Oh YES.

With Chita Rivera as a young Bea.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Gothampc
#8re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 11:13am

Possibly rewritten with gender change starring Eric McCormack and Sean Hayes?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#9re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 12:44pm

The author of Beaches is actually developing a musical, I went to a reading of it last spring.

Michael Bennett
#10re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 12:53pm

Interesting. Was it then based on the novel, liotte? As I remember reading when the reviews came out, the movie is only loosly based on the book...

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#11re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 12:58pm

It wasn't based on any of her novels (I have read them all), it was a story about 3 generations of Jewish women- the grandma with all her traditional beliefs, the mother who was rebelling against it all, and the young daughter not sure but wanting to hear about her grandma's stories and her life as in an acting troupe.

Gothampc
#12re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 1:07pm

So the dying Barbara Hershey is not in it at all?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#13re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 1:11pm

No, but Bette Midler was in talks to do it.

Gothampc
#14re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 1:13pm

"It wasn't based on any of her novels"

Who is the author of the original book?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 1:17pm

I agree that the idea of a musical adaptation is awful. But then, I don't advocate the adaptation of movies to musicals.

BEACHES is just a horrible movie. Horrible. Now, I thought it was amazing when it opened (I was about 12 years old) - but every time I watch parts of it on TV now I just feel - embarrassed for everyone involved.

Michael Bennett, can you elaborate? I do know that the film is not without faults, but what about it makes you label it as a horrible movie? I might label it harmless, but certainly not horrible.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 12/14/06 at 01:17 PM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#16re: Beaches
Posted: 12/14/06 at 1:19pm

Iris Rainer Dart is the author.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: Beaches
Posted: 6/17/07 at 2:19pm

I love this movie!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#18re: Beaches
Posted: 6/17/07 at 2:23pm

I want to play Iris the handwalking queer.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#19re: Beaches
Posted: 6/17/07 at 2:30pm

I actually like the idea.

Wonder who they'll cast in the leads.

Does anyone else think another schmaltzy girl movie/book, "The Joy Luck Club" is screaming for a musical adaptation? It could be amazingly beautiful.
(love the story and messages the book and film have.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#20re: Beaches
Posted: 6/17/07 at 10:13pm

I remember seeing the movie with my sister. She was crying at the end of it, but she told me, through her tears, "I feel so manipulated by this."

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#21re: Beaches
Posted: 6/17/07 at 10:48pm

Though the film is cheesy, it's more brie than velvetta. I did not care for the book. I would HATE to see it brought to the stage. It wouldn't work anyway, as one big plot point is Hillary being jealous of CeeCee's talent. She couldn't carry a tune. So, only one of the female leads could sing.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#22re: Beaches
Posted: 6/18/07 at 9:41am

My husband insists this has already been brought to the stage -- Wicked as really being Beaches with a green chick. So Gotham just made me crack up laughing.

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

ShoshanaismyElphie
#23re: Beaches
Posted: 12/16/08 at 8:09pm

That's funny, when I was 12 I tried to write a musical version of Beaches. I gave up when I realized all I was doing was writing down the script from the movie.

Videos