Doubt: The Movie

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#1Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 7:10am

As per this mornings Variety

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117955804.html?categoryid=15&cs=1

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Mattbrain
#1re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 7:19am

I could actually see that happening. I'd see it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

NathanLaneStalker
#2re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 8:14am

I'd see it. Just as long as they kept Cherry Jones and Heather Goldenhersh.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 9:11am

You know it'll probably go to Meryl Streep or Diane Keaton...

...but it SHOULD go to Cherry Jones. I hope it does.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#4re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 9:16am

Actually, Eileen Atkins said in an interview that Maggie Smith came to America to see the show when there was an anticipated London mounting. She loved the play but felt that it wouldn't work for London audiences.

If there is a film...don't count her out of the running.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 9:30am

Well, unless they switch it to England in the story, I would already rule out Maggie, Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson.

There's still a handful of mature American female movie stars that would jump at the chance to do this.

And I agree with Maggie. This is an American story...

...or an American tragedy, if you will.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 9:33am

Wait a minute. Atkins did the show with a thick Irish accent. Did they move it to Ireland? No. I'm sure there can be nuns in America that have English/Irish accents. And who's to say Smith can't pull off an American accent?

Not to say I wouldn't love to see Streep attempt this or see Jones reprise her role on the screen. But, a part of me wants to see Smith sink her teeth into a role she would completely dominate.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#7re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:12am

It's going to be VERY hard for Cherry to make it into this movie, even harder for Heather (love her!), they just aren't going to sell any tickets.

I'd cast Glenn Close, Thandie Newton and Ethan Hawke (that's weird, huh?)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:17am

Not bad lildogs. Good choices if they want to sell tickets.

EDIT: I will say this... Cherry stands a SLIM chance of doing the film, if they get a movie star like Hawke (or the like) for the priest. But he'd have to be enough of a draw on his own that they wouldn't worry about the "who's Cherry Jones?" crowd.

Updated On: 12/15/06 at 10:17 AM

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#9re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:31am

Exactly--Cherry could get in if they use stars in the other roles--like when Shirley Booth did Little Sheba...who's Terry Moore? (ha)or when they replaced Tandy in STREETCAR and used everyone else.

Maybe get Alfre for Adriane Lenox?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#10re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:33am

Oh but Maggie Smith! *salivates*

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#11re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:38am

Of course! I love Maggie! I'm so cool with that...

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#12re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:49am

I would kill to see Meryl Streep and Angela Bassett in it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:50am

Maggie has never been anything but "British" to me, even when she tries an American accent (with very uneven results). It's as much about her personality and sensibility on screen as it is with the accent. She's a strong British presence, always.

Not that you couldn't change the character to British, but I think it would hurt the impact of this story. Sister Aloysius, and the entire plot of Doubt, is highly symbolic of the American repression of the era, and its lack of faith in humanity.

Actually, Maggie herself already understands this, apparently.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#14re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:55am

Angela Bassett would be my first choice for Mrs. Muller, as well. I have no idea who I'd want to see as Aloysius. I really cannot imagine anyone but Cherry playing the part, but I realize that there's hardly any chance of her being offered the role. Just as long as the don't cast someone ludicrous like Nicole Kidman I'll be fine.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 10:58am

Charlize Theron under a few pounds of makeup!!

Lindsay Lohan!!! Give her a few more weeks of hard living and she'll be the right age.

Albert Finney in drag!!!

(Actually when I saw Doubt on stage, I kept thinking that Jones as Sister Aloysius really LOOKED like Albert Finney in drag...)

*shivers*

re: Doubt: The Movie

re: Doubt: The Movie

Updated On: 12/15/06 at 10:58 AM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#16re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:00am

*projectile vomits on b12b*

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#17re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:12am

If they are going to use 'name celebrities, I'd go with:

Meryl Streep for Sister Aloysius, Ethan Hawke for Father Flynn, Angela Bassett for Mrs Muller, and Zooey Deschanel for Sister James.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/15/06 at 11:12 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#17re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:15am

Cherry Jones won't be in the movie. She knows this already and has been very gracious about it.

Expect Judi Dench.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#18re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:17am

Zooey would be a great choice--glad to see Ethan made your cut as well-- i think he or Crudup would be a great choice--I think Flynn should be something of a hottie. They're both names with impressive NYC stage credits....

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#19re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:23am

I could see Hawke or Crudup, and part of me always kind of pictured Robert Sean Leonard as Father Flynn too. I remember some rumblings about Sean Penn a while ago, but I don't like the idea of him at all.

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#20re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:26am

Judi Dench is a fun idea too.

Ethan Hawke sells tickets?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#21re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:32am

It doesn't matter who you put in this movie, it is not going to be a big box office champ. The plus side is that it will be cheap to make and will potentially be nominated for awards...

I think they will go with someone like Jude Law or Clive Owen for Flynn.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:51am

I think I'm going to be sick.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

JKM2159
#23re: Doubt: The Movie
Posted: 12/15/06 at 11:52am

I heard a rumor that they want Meryl Streep to play Sister Aloysius