pixeltracker

NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!- Page 3

NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#50re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:25pm

A Road Show isn't a "floor show."

It was, is, and will always be about the film. The souvenir booklet is gorgeous with glossy full color "coffee table" style pictures from the film, and cast and crew bios.

I attended a road show screening in LA yesterday...

There are costumes in the lobby, as well as props and artwork (Dreams and JT Earley album covers, posters, set models and sketches).

In addition to the program, you get a limited edition litho of the poster artwork, numbered with a COA.

Yes, they play (actually BLAST) the soundtrack in the lobby and inside the theatre before the show, and it bugged me too, but most of the people attending didn't seem to be bothered a bit by it.

The film is presented in 2K digital projection. Perfect sound. Each of the road show theatres has a studio technician sent out to test and balance the audio and visual presentation and make sure that it's absolutely flawless.

The seating was reserved, with MANY ushers to help you find your seat.

That's what you get for your 25 bucks... but you don't get a floor show, or hand puppets or a lap dance.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/18/06 at 03:25 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#51re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:25pm

The Roadshow Engagement ends this Sunday night (12/24/06).

The film officially opens nationally next Monday (12/25/06).

ONE MORE WEEK FOR THE FREE-FOR-ALL TO BEGIN!

Whoo-hoo! re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#52re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:28pm

Doodle -- there are MULTIPLE ushers. I think I had 4 or 5 different ones tell me how to get to my seat. And I'm SO GLAD I went to the advanced screening on the first night. The excitement level was OVER THE TOP! It made the movie that much better.

". . . POP . . ."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#53re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:31pm

I agree Hanna. Even on a Sunday afternoon, everyone was "buzzing" before and after the screening. It felt like a BIG event.

...which it was!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#54re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:46pm

Thanks, Hanna...I was a bit worried that even a "polite" crowd could get ugly over seats, and the teenage girl who was guarding when I picked up my tix didnt make me feel very secure :)

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#55re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:47pm

What merchandise are they seliing?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#56re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 4:03pm

T-shirts, posters and CDs.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#57re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 4:04pm

Cool. Does anyone know if the merchandise is exclusive to the roadshow, or will it also be made available on the official website?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
11/11/05
#59re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 11:19pm

Is the "stunning" 2K digital projection ONLY for the Roadshow presentation?

Will the film be shown at the Ziegfeld with the same digital pic/sound quality during it's normal run which begins on Dec 25th or will they change to a 35mm film print?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#60re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/19/06 at 2:31am

Saw the film tonight in Los Angeles and loved it. But I did laugh when I heard them playing the soundtrack before hand - imagining some of the people on this board frantically peeing while trying to stick their fingers in their ears.

jwsel
#61re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/19/06 at 7:24pm

Michael Bennett,

I had the same reaction. I saw the film on Sunday night just a few hours after reading this thread, and mentioned to the people I was with how posters here were complaining about being spoiled by the music. Everyone got a good laugh.

jeffrey2
#62re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/19/06 at 9:28pm

On Sundays 2:00Pm performance One Night Only was the only song played. Over and over and over!!!!!!!

Hanna from Hamburg
#63re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 8:20am

Why don't they just loop recordings of insults of Jennifer Hudson that were made by Simon Cowell on AI?

LOL

". . . POP . . ."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#64re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 9:15am

I saw the film again last night here in New York and they had stopped playing the soundtrack alltogether.

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#65re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/20/06 at 4:55pm

I saw Dreamgirls at the Arclight at the noon show on Sunday. I too was very upset that they played the soundtrack. I had purchased it a week earlier, and promised myself that I wouldn't listen to it until after I'd seen the film.

They could have played any other music and it wouldn't have bothered me -- Christmas carols, old broadway show tunes, etc.

I thought that I was the only person that was bothered by the above. How wrong I was!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#66re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/21/06 at 12:37am

Tonight at Ziegfeld the only song I heard was "One Night Only." Twice, three times, I wasn't really counting. Then again, we only entered the theatre at like 5 till 8, so I don't know if/what they were playing before that.

Oh- and the movie started very late, like the last time I looked at the time it was after 8:15pm and it still hadn't started. But from what others around me were saying, it's always been starting that late at the Ziegfeld? And yet we still had problems with people in other people's seats with the latecomers after the movie started.

Oh yeah- and I loved the movie. Loved.

Hanna from Hamburg
#67re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/21/06 at 7:41am

I don't think it was late the first night at the Ziegfeld, but I'm not certain. As I recall, we walked in about 5-10 minutes before the movie was supposed to start, sat down, the Clearview CEO made an announcement and the movie started. However, I was on such a high that I don't even remember much that lead up to the start of the movie. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn't even realize the soundtrack was running in the background.

LOL

I'm definitely going to try to see it again once it opens . . . AT the Ziegfeld.

". . . POP . . ."

Videos