pixeltracker

Interesting article on why people think musicals suck

Interesting article on why people think musicals suck

noahrp3
eb412
#2re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 3:37pm

hmm interesting...but i did not find it the most well written. The article should have focused on peoples ignorance about musicals...usually that is why people dont like things...they know nothing about it...haha and no dying in musicals...thats a first...first of all there is no lack of dying and 2nd of all i didnt realize how important it was...I would have focused on how musicals are continuously cchanging and just how ur parents musicc might not appeal to u...ur parents musical might not either. There are people who love it all...who like to see the roots of current art but there is a reason why musicals adapt and now they match our interests, crisis, and music styles...

BSoBW2
#2re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 3:43pm

He's wrong. Musicals suck because they make you gay. Everyone knows that.

Someone asked me if I saw THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and they said, "Yeah, I saw it, too. It was pretty gay."

The proof is out there, people.

RentBoy86
#3re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 3:53pm

I think people are just exposed to the wrong kinds of musicals. In small towns the only exposure people get are to the "classic" musical theater shows like "Oklahoma" and stuff. I think if people knew "Spring Awakening" and other types of edgier musicals were out there, they'd be more open to seeing them.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#4re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 3:59pm

I had this problem when I was a film student. An all-too-common conversation would be:

Film student: "I hate musicals! They're sooooo unrealistic!"
Me: "Yes, but all films are unrealistic. I mean, what's your favourite film?"
Film student: "Star Wars/Blade Runner/something else no less realistic than the average musical!"
Me: "¬_¬"

Madness. And they'd often tell me that musicals were all fluffy and light and happy. Even my lecturer would tell me this! Um, NO. Seriously now, I'm hugely into musicals, but it'd still take me more than a few minutes to come up with one that was all fluffy and light and happy. Even Disney musicals have their dark and depressing moments, and most of the best musicals seem to involve many people dying depressingly.

I'd like to see someone who watches and is knowledgeable about musicals diss them for a change. It'd be nice to hear an *informed* opinion from the naysayers. Just once.

Updated On: 12/30/06 at 03:59 PM

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#5re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:04pm

Interesting...and I agree with eb412, it wasn't written very well.

I think teenagers hate musicals because they think that they should. It's not "cool" to like musicals, so teens automatically assume that they "suck" without even giving them a chance.

I also think what you are exposed to as a child has something to do with it. I'm a teenager, but I've loved musicals for as long as I can remember. I remember watching "The Sound of Music" at the age of 5, and completely adoring it. Last year we were having a discussion about the movie during my English class. There was a large number of students who had never seen it. I've just noticed that kids who have been raised watching musicals tend to be more open to them.

RentBoy86 also makes a good point, the musicals that many teens are seeing are more of the classics. I happen to love these types of musicals, but many teens don't like them because to the teens they seem "too sugar coated". Many teens don't know about edgier musicals like Spring Awakening & Rent and they make judgments without knowing all the facts.

That's just my 2 cents.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!
Updated On: 12/30/06 at 04:04 PM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#6re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:08pm

all musicals suck because there is no bloodd,gore,cussing,and dying. it is boring. you shoud just take your 3 year old kid to see history of violence. i like lava lamps. there is a guy having a seizure on tv.

Haha.

Wow, how many times did that guy use the words "suck" and "suckiest?"

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Lizzya9
#7re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:12pm

noahrp3 I LOVE your pic! <33

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#8re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:20pm

a little obbsessive lizzya9. Why do you have the little mermaid as one of your shows when it hasn't even premiered nor have a cast.

Julian2
#9re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:24pm

Not because musicals don’t suck, because they kinda do.

We have our problem right here. Instead of giving an educated analysis why young people do not like musicals, he simply states that they do not like them, and is, himself, judging the entire artform as worthless without even getting through the door. Just beacause I'm not really into horror movies, dosen't mean I make blanket statements that they suck.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

bwaybabe3
#10re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:27pm

I am a teenager who loves musicals. Constantly I am caught listening to one on my ipod. Usually boys tend to say something negative. Then I tell them I have a song about erections from PUTNAM and they get excited and change their minds. Also one listen to Q and they want to steal my ipod.

of course most don't like PHANTOM or other classic ones. Frankly, they ARE more unrealistic than some stuff that's out now. The first exposure to the genre has to be current and funny, then people can be drawn in later.

shesamarshmallow
#11re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:31pm

Yeah, because Oklahoma's not edgy at all. It's not like the main character kills anyone or anything.

Also, bwaybabe3: Don't go lumping in Phantom with the other classics. It's not even 20 years old.

I am so sick of everyone lauding newer musicals over old. There is much to enjoy in both.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#12re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:48pm

I hate ignorance. My friend told me that she hates musicals because "It's all slow droning music." and that "There isn't any fast music on Broadway."

AtLeastIveBeenThere Profile Photo
AtLeastIveBeenThere
#13re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:52pm

that was great. :)

Having just a vision's no solution.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#14re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:53pm

I think my drama teacher and I are the only people in my entire high school who like musicals.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#15re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 4:53pm

Personally, I totally get why some people don't like musicals. Quite frankly, MANY musicals suck. I love musicals, but watching the performance by Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat on the 1982 Tony Awards made me want to join the bandwagon.

(don't worry, I still love musicals. but you get my point.)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

#16re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 5:47pm

personally, i think 98% of ANY genre sucks.
but you have to dig thru all that suckage to find that golden 2%....
& when you find it, its totally worth it!!!!

that applies to all aspects fo life, not just music.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#17re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 7:06pm

What always annoys me are kids who listen to rock, call themselves non-conformists, and make fun of me for my choice of music. Being a proud musical lover is probably the most nonconforming choice you could make when it comes to music (now, my favourite movie star is Bette Davis, and I love the Golden Girls, so...)

I go to a performing arts school and I'm still the only one who could tell you what shows Angela Lansbury won her four tonys for. Even my drama teacher doesn't really like musicals.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
Updated On: 12/31/06 at 07:06 PM

leefowler
#18re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/30/06 at 10:40pm

I think a lot of teenagers say they don't like musicals because when they see them they don't like them. Simple as that.

No big deal. I don't like most of the stuff THEY like, after all.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#19re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 12:16am

people only diss because they don't know any better.

i'd like to write a letter to that editor.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#20re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 12:24am

Those quotes are the stupidest things I have ever heard. No blood, gore, or dying in musicals? Ever heard of Sweeney Todd? Les Miz? West Side Story?

This person keeps contradicting himself as well, or saying he's embarassed because he likes musicals. And saying that musicals "kinda suck"? Can you please make up your mind.

I know ten year olds who can write better than this guy.

FindingNamo
#21re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 12:33am

I completely agree with n69n, once again. Most musicals DO suck, and most movie musicals DO suck worse.

"Being a proud musical lover is probably the most non-conforming choice you could make when it comes to music ..."

Yeah, no. Probably saying the only album you own is Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music would be the most non-conforming (sic) choice you could make when it comes to music.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

shesamarshmallow
#22re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 12:44am

Hey - most movie musical ADAPTATIONS suck. I know plenty of original movie musicals, especially from the classic era, that are really quite fabulous.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

#23re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 2:12am

Is this article actually from a real publication? My lord--my typo filled posts make more sense.

Marshmallow--as a fan of old school and modern musicals I agree it can be annoying when people "laud newer musicals over old" but look at the average younger age range on here--I bet the samepeople watch many more modern movies than they do classic ones--it's just what happens.

E
Updated On: 12/31/06 at 02:12 AM

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#24re: Interesting article on why people think musicals suck
Posted: 12/31/06 at 2:48am

That article is just crappy writing. Please tell me that was from a middle school paper.