Without You... the musical?!

christine_c Profile Photo
christine_c
#1Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:07pm

A friend of mine called Anthony Rapp's agent today to try to book him in her city, and they mentioned that there is a musical being made out of his book? Has anyone else heard anything about this? This is the first I've heard of it. I mean, I WANT to believe it's not true, but the information did come from an Off-Broadway Booking agent...

Just... no, Anthony. NO.

donna_darko_23
#2re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:10pm

I hadn't heard about that. Weird.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#2re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:12pm

Wow.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#3re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:04am

An Off-Broadway Booking agent is not the same as Anthony Rapp's agent. It probably wasn't even the booking agent, it was probably some random intern assigned to answer phones to filter out the teenaged fangirls from the serious business propositions. And considering Off-Broadway Booking is the same group that employs hardcore fangirls without background checks and hires the "I pretend Adam Pascal is my husband/boyfriend/doctor" girl to book Adam Pascal's concert dates, I wouldn't trust them to have the best judgement/information. (For god's sake, the Adam Pascal Love Thread on the OT board did more to publicize his string of concerts this fall than they did...) And you didn't even hear this from them yourself, your friend told you, so the every aspect of the source of this information is extremely unreliable. So to denounce Anthony's judgement when at this point, it's only a completely absurd rumor at best, is completely ridiculous.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Actinggbugg474
#4re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:11am

Well first of all .. I've never read the book, but as I understand, it contains a sort of first hand account of RENT from the ground floor. (As well as personal stories about Anthony and his life). If I am correct in this assumption, I really don't see how a musical about the making of RENT would be too big of a hit. It just doesn't even sound appealing to me.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#5re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:15am

tick tick BOOM already does that. re: Without You... the musical?! If it *were* to happen (the entire possibility of its existance is shaky at best), I'd think they would be sensible enough to focus more about the story with his mother than the "Making of Rent" aspects.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

christine_c Profile Photo
christine_c
#6re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/10/07 at 11:30am

I really hope your right and then mixed it up. I mean... I guess they could mix up a book tour with a musical. It's not completely unheard of if they really did not know anything about him, which is possible. Right?

If no one else has heard anything about it, I'm thinking it was just some dumbass getting things confused.

MamawhoBoreme Profile Photo
MamawhoBoreme
#7re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/10/07 at 11:45am

i read the book and i thought it was amazing, but to make it into a show would be a waste of time and money. and who would play anthony? himself? i dont think it would work. or appeal to anyone because crazy fanatic fans of his.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#8re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/10/07 at 12:26pm

When are Anthony Rapp's 15 minutes up?

Sigh...

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#9re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/10/07 at 12:26pm

Maybe Anthony is doing a concert tour and the person answering the phones was confused?

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#10re: Without You... the musical?!
Posted: 1/10/07 at 12:31pm

actually his book is more about HIS life, and obviously rent was a huge part of his life, but the focus is, as i said, his life with his experiences with homosexuality, his mother and the rest of his family, his acting career [when rent comes into play], friends etc. but i think that it would be inaccurate to say that the book is about the making of rent, because it is not.
i did enjoy the book though, so it's not like it was a trainwreck. much of the content was interesting to hear about, but i don't know how a musical would be about it.. hmm.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

Videos