ACE Review - 1-14-07

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#1ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:02pm

Boy, let me start by saying that my wife and I were pleasantly surprized with the show. The Old Globe Theater is a small, maybe 500 person, replica of the original theater that shook the world many years ago.

I went to the Old Globe Theater looking forward to spending time hearing Michael Arden's voice and enjoying his innocent style of acting. But, came away impressed with a show that was filled with emotion, impressive staging, seemless lyrical content, and best of all...Noah Galvin.

As was mentioned before, I sat in partial view seats, they weren't too bad and I don't think I missed too much of the story.

ACT I
The opening scene "It's Better This Way" worked very well. The Old Globe Theater was set with a large circle downstage, with 3 levels of wings upstage. The ensemble carried the scene well and it was evident that Noel Galvin, as the lead Billy Lucas, was ready to give the audience a stunning performance. "Filling in the Blank" followed with Noel singing a profoundly meaningful song for anyone that has been a foster child or knows a foster child.

Michael Arden appears stangely military, I don't know if his costume was measured wrong or he is not the military type, but he looked a bit odd, in his 1st song "In These Skies". His voice is top notch and stirrs the audience into the biggest applause of the musical. We were soon introduced to Lisa Datz as Elizabeth and her voice is bit lagging compared to the other actors. Maybe the deeply depressed character, Billy's mom, causes her to tone it down, but even later she fails to impress.

Betsy Wolfe owns the stage in "Make It From Scratch". Wow, her acting and voice has the audience laughing and cheering her on. Her on stage husband, played by Duke Lafoon was solid. His voice highlighted every scene he was in.

Gabrielle Boyadjian as Emily, get slowly moving with her "Now I'm on Your Case". Gabrielle is a stand out by the end of the show, but she looked a bit unsure of herself in this song. Michael and the ensemble end the first act with creative choreography and wonderful harmonies.

ACT II
Noah lets everyone know that he is no fluke as he opened the second act with "Call Me ACE". Noah is one of the few children actors that is fully into his character, his timing is very good, he doesn't sit on certain lines, and he never over acts and plays to the audience. He seemed like a true mini-professional.

The second act moved smoothly, with Gabrielle hitting stride in "Sooner or Later". Darren Ritchie's portrayal of Ace is strong and confident. He hits the right marks and carries the storyline sensibly and with a Broadway veteren's ease. Darren's voice is strong and in the last scenes he is distinctly leading the talented ensemble to wrap up the show.

It was a good night at the theater and look forward to going back down to San Diego with my 11yr old son to see ACE again.

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

neddyfrank2
#2re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:33pm

How was Ian Brininstool (the kid)?

Also the Old Globe is WAY bigger than 500 seats, it's around 1,000.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#2re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/15/07 at 9:35pm

Thanks for the review! Nice to see Michael back at the Old Globe...and doing some great theater! re: ACE Review - 1-14-07

#3re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:05pm

Neddy, Ian was very good in his duel roles. His voice is strong as the young Charlie. It is a powerful scene and he did well with Darren Ritchie.

The size of OGT is closer to 500 than 1,000 in my book. I had upper balcony far right and could almost see the entire audience. It is still small compared to airplane hangers that house Los Angeles theater.

And yes Mint...the OGT is strong, especially with Avenue Q coming this summer. Staying in Coronado Island and going to the Old Globe is not a bad way to spend your day.

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#4re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:08am

The Globe seats about 550 -570.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 12:17am

So, who did the ill fitting costumes?
Fess up....

The Globe is a beautiful intimate theatre.

Could this show play one of the smaller Broadway Theatres?

fakeblue Profile Photo
fakeblue
#6re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 11:00am

thanks great review! I'm glad that you could enjoy that.
I'm gonna see in this week! SO excited!

curtain, What do you think is the best military uniform that will suit for Michael? I think Navy?!?! lol

CurtainPullDowner
#7re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 1:37pm

Well since the show is about Aviators I am assuming the AIR FORCE.

#8re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 2:19pm

Could this show play Broadway theaters????

That is my question...why hasn't this show played Broadway?

CurtainPullDowner
#9re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 4:04pm

Basically unknown writers and director, I assume it is going thru the regional theatre route to get some interest.

Updated On: 1/16/07 at 04:04 PM

#10re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 11:19pm

So, I wonder if that answers the following question...why would Michael Arden take this part?

Does he like the sunny southern california weather during the winter?
Does he bring a Broadway quality to a little known show that should get it's shot on the Great White Way?
What is the more appropriate answer?

neddyfrank2
#11re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 11:21pm

$$$

Or possibly because he has not been in a hit and he is not exactly the most sought after actor.

CurtainPullDowner
#12re: ACE Review - 1-14-07
Posted: 1/16/07 at 11:28pm

Maybe both SIMPLEJOYS.

And it puts him nearer to LA.
Last year after THE TIMES... he got parts on both NUMBERS and GREY"S ANATOMY.

musomaniac
#13re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/19/07 at 7:46pm

Is there an official review of the Old Globe production yet? I know it officially opened last night, and I've been scouring the net today looking for any review.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/19/07 at 8:07pm

Google News search results

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#15re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 3:07am

musomaniac, This is San Diego dude.

neddyfrank2
#16re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 3:27am

Excuse Me? Are you trying to imply something about San Diego?

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#17re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 12:49pm

no neddy, I was just trying to be funny-which I guess isn't the way you took it. I'm a very big fan of theatre here in San Diego. In fact, I had just returned from the Friday night performance of Ace when I went online to check it out for reviews.

I feel the one by Anne Marie Welsh this morning was a fair review. I felt much the same way about the new musical. I was extremely impressed by the depth and subtleness of much of the drama but the melodies fell short.

But man oh man. that young Noah Galvin was terrific. Not just his acting and singing but also his comedy timing. I couldn't help but wonder if people who visited the San Diego Junior Theatre in the early 70's felt the same way when they first saw Brian Mitchell.

neddy, one thing you must admit,however, is that reviews of our regional productions rarely appear immediately after opening night. I don't have a problem with that fact, It's just the way it is. And yes, I do recognize the theatre heritage we have here.

BwayTheatre11
#18re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 12:51pm

I don't cry at shows very easily, but did at Ace in Cincinnati.

CCM '10!

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#19re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 1:01pm

I agree that much of the drama was beautifully done and very moving. And I felt much of the music was ok,but I kept hoping for one or two musical numbers that would move me as much as the book.

BROADWAYBOUND5 Profile Photo
BROADWAYBOUND5
#20re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/20/07 at 1:55pm

i agree,
i dont usually cry,
but ace touched me...
it was great.
i saw it at the st.louis rep

(congrats on getting in to ccm)

"Any performer dreams to see her name in lights, but the best performer dreams to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a performer..."

InTheseSkies
#21re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/27/07 at 12:31am

Updated On: 7/15/07 at 12:31 AM

neddyfrank2
#22re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 1/27/07 at 12:41am

dented146- I was kinda joking.

Edit: I couldn't help but wonder if people who visited the San Diego Junior Theatre in the early 70's felt the same way when they first saw Brian Mitchell.

I saw Christian Hoff and Sara Ramirez at JT. Updated On: 1/27/07 at 12:41 AM

JGym
#23re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 2/7/07 at 1:01am

Saw the show on Sunday and, much like everyone else, was completely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I admit I only went to see Michael Arden (love him), but left the theater happy with the performance and with a new found love for that kid, Noah. Just fantastic. I really hope the show gets a run in NY. At least Off-Broadway. And I agree, other than the woman who played the foster mother, I also found that the other two females leads were kind of...blah, for lack of a better word. Oh, and the guy who played Ace...dreamy. And one other fun tid-bit, Jenna Leigh Green was at my show. Nice to see her out supporting Michael. If you can get to San Diego, see the show, it's really worth it.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#24re: ACE at Old Globe
Posted: 2/7/07 at 1:04am

I read through this entire thread and not one person said what "ACE" stands for!?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Videos