pixeltracker

Seymour's Range in "Little Shop"

Seymour's Range in "Little Shop"

BobbyBaby244
#1Seymour's Range in "Little Shop"
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:24pm

Anyone know what Seymour's vocal range is in Little Shop? Thanks!

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#2re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:51pm

Seymour is a high baritone/tenor- His highest note, I believe is an A.

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#2re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 4:50pm

don't be fooled though, he likes to hang out down around C3, which is awefully low for a tenor (though not out of range), so think Baritone.

Joshua488
#3re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 4:57pm

Yeah, Seymour is definitely a solid baritone role, not a tenor.

I actually think the highest that Seymour goes is a G... TabooPhan1 may be right about it being an A, but I feel like I've seen that he only goes up to a G.
Updated On: 2/9/07 at 04:57 PM

Actinggbugg474
#4re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 4:59pm

I think the A occurs in "Feed Me!" I'm not sure though. I think it happens during his big "I don't knooooooow" thing.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#5re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 5:00pm

yup, exactly right, Actingbug, I was just about to post that. "I don't know, IIIII don't know" is the A. That's the only song though, and it's not sustained for a horribly long time.

Gothampc
#6re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 5:16pm

Seymour is a high baritone. During "The Meek Shall Inherit" segment he has to have a solid G/A when he sings "No! No! There is only one way we can go!" All of that has to be sustained in the upper range and he sings it about four times.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#7re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:37pm

i doooooon't knowwwww- thats were its an A as said

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 7:24pm

I played Seymour years ago, and as I recall the range is low A to high G. It's a lot of fun to sing and play, but if you are taking on the role remember to pace yourself. He's on stage almost the entire show.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

sondhead
#9re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 8:06pm

It's surprisingly low. They re-wrote many of his harmony work for Hunter Foster in the revival. Made it much more exciting sounding, IMO. Now, if we could just switch out the orchestrations...

husk_charmer
#10re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 8:39pm

Sondhead-
Do you EVER like the original orchestrations?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

sondhead
#11re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 8:50pm

Actually, I was defending the original orchestrations. I hated the revival's.

I also don't know when else I've talked about hating original orchestrations. If you're talking about Company, I hate the 95 orchestrations and prefer the London revival's. However my most favorite Company orchestration is the great 70's original. The 95 broadway version just doesn't have the same charm. I was pretty thrilled when MTI started licensing the originals again.

husk_charmer
#12re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 8:51pm

Ah...it just always sounds like you prefer a revivals...apparently I mis-read the LSOH one.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

sondhead
#13re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:03pm

Ya, Little Shop's original orchestration is actually one of my favorites out there. Small, tight and totally fun which is exactly what that show is. The revival's were just innappropriate... like the SNL band is playing Little Shop.

HOWEVER, I did like one of the score changes they made and definitely think it should be incorporated into the original version. The finale to Act 1 is about a thousand million times better than what was originally written. Anyone who has been in the show knows that often the audience is confused as to whether or not the act is even completed! The revival's act one finale not only gives full completion but also brings back perhaps the most exciting tune in the whole score, the title number in it's actual tempo.

Gothampc
#14re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:14pm

"The revival's were just innappropriate"

The revival missed the point. Little Shop was written and originally played as a spoof on B movies. When that dynamic is in place, it's a great show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#15re: Seymour's Range in 'Little Shop'
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:33pm

I am pretty sure that G is the highest note, I played the role this summer. I could be wrong because I didn't pay too much attention to the actual notes but, yeah.

Videos