pixeltracker

Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?

Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?

Yankeefan007
#1Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 7:10am

From everyone's favorite columnist, Michael Riedel.

Weissler and a slew of producers want to transfer the show. The theater in question? The St. James, in between the runs of Producers and Young Frankenstein, depending on whether or not Lane/Broderick close-out the former.

The downside of a summer run? No Donna Murphy, who is committed to LoveMusik.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02142007/entertainment/theater/good_golly__its_a_hit_follies_theater_michael_riedel.htm

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#2re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 7:30am

I would hate to see Donna or Victoria Clark replaced in the leading roles. My guess is LoveMusik is going to unfortunately be a lackluster production, freeing up Cerveris and Murphy for other things, among them a Follies revival.

Yankeefan007
#2re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 7:34am

LoveMusik, being a non-profit production, is a limited engagement. Lackluster or not, it will more-than-likely play out its run.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 7:50am

I still say three things: (1) It will never happen; (2) It will never happen; and (3) It will never happen.

#4re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 8:16am

well now i know how the RAVINIA people felt who didnt want Patti to do GYPSY again; they wanted it be their own special evening(s) of magick, never to be repeated.

but i honestly believe the magic of the ENCORES! production of FOLLIES *cant* be repeated...i dont think that they would be able to get that kind of cast & crew or that level of audience enthusiasm again.

i'd love to be wrong.

Julian2
#5re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 8:23am

I kinda wish instead of pouring all their energy into a possible revival (that some don't think will happen or even repeat the success) they would just record it as is.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#6re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 8:34am

or video tape and it and then put in on PBS for all us poor folk

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

husk_charmer
#7re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 8:36am

This really seems incerdib;y unlikely. But, if it happens, terrific!

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#8re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 9:49am

A limited run seems to suggest little or no likelihood of recoupment. Anyone know investors who don't want their money bacK?

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#9re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 9:52am

well i have to agree with you Julian. gimme the damn cast recording already!

Kringas
#10re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 9:52am

If I win big in the lottery, I pledge to use a chunk of my winnings to see Follies staged with the opulence and glamour of the original.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 9:53am

FOLLIES can't play at the St. James, because Christine Baranski is opening there in MAME. Right after the productions of HAIR and BYE BYE BIRDIE from Encores open.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:16pm

Can't they just do a cast recording with the original Encores! cast. The speculated revival wouldn't feature Donna Murphy (every single critic raved about her performance), Victor Garber, Jenny Powers (committed to Grease) et al.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#13re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:18pm

I was hoping that "70, Girls, 70" would open, starring that strange creature with the body of Olympia Dukakis but with a three-ring binder for a head.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#14re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 12:23pm

I completly agree with Ray. Instead of spending the money on a transfer, they should focus on making the cast recording. It would be worth it, much more than the transfer.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Thesbijean
#15re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 2:21pm

Well, Encores wouldn't be financing the majority of the transfer, the producer(s)/investors would. However, Encores would (along with a record label) finance the recording, so, two different scenarios altogether.

In terms of Donna not being able to do it, Bebe Neuwirth would be a great choice to replace her for a transfer IMO.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 2:41pm

Slip in for a limited run? Makes not financial sense to me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 3:13pm

As fans, our concern shouldn't be if it makes money. Any production of Follies has a hard time making money. As fans we should be excited to see this wonderful production again, even just for a limited run.

In terms of Donna not being able to do it, Bebe Neuwirth would be a great choice to replace her for a transfer IMO.

- That's what I said. But Michael Bennett shot me down and told me her lisp would get in the way.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#18re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 3:16pm

Our concern HAS to be if it makes money or not. That ultimately determines the probability of the production.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Kringas
#19re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 3:17pm

The thing is, though, one of the things that made this production so special was Murphy's relevatory turn as Phyllis. I can't see Neuwirth's Phyllis being in the same vein as Murphy's. Warmth is not her strong suit.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 3:24pm

Our concern HAS to be if it makes money or not. That ultimately determines the probability of the production.

- But any Follies fan knows it's almost impossible for a production of this show to make money, so it's a useless concern. Wasn't the only version to make money the original London production, which completely revised the show?

Gothampc
#21re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 3:26pm

[Obligatory question]: Remembering her past history, can Donna Murphy sustain a Broadway run?

[Obligatory statement]: Too bad the Mark Hellinger is a church now because the show would play great in that theater.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 5:35pm

I agree with Kringas, one of the things that had everyone talking about was Murphy's re-invention of Phyllis. Of course Neuwirth is one of the most obvious choices, but perhaps too obvious, as much as I love her as a performer (I suggested her as Phyllis many times before Murphy was cast), she would play the role as it is typically played, what made Murphy's Phyllis so successful was the inner fragility that was always embedded with her dialogue/songs, if you notice her "Could I Leave You?" was not full of bitchy remarks but full of the pain of loving Benjamin Stone.
As everyone has said it's not gonna happen either way so moot point.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 5:39pm

I guess they believe third time's the charm? Follies has never been a success on Broadway or the West End. And people complained that Les Mis came back so fast? Didn't we just have a Follies Broadway revival??? Good grief!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#24re: Follies Bway Transfer Update - Will They Take The St. James?
Posted: 2/14/07 at 5:42pm

I don't think Murphy would be too much of an issue. LoveMusik is scheduled to run through June 17th and the tentative closing date for The Producers is a week later on June 24th. Let's assume a few weeks of rehearsals. It could easily open in mid-late July at the St. James and run for two-three months before closing in time for previews of Young Frankenstein to begin in early October.

Then again I could be grossly underestimating the time needed for rehearsals.

Videos