pixeltracker

Translations, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?

Translations, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Translations, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:37am

Hi All- I might be going back to NYC this weekend for a daytrip from Boston. I have seen all the NEW shows except these three : Translations, Talk Radio & Prelude to a Kiss? ( I will be seeing "Curtains" on March 9-so that' s out ! )

For those who have seen it. Which one show you will recommend ? and why ?
I will read everything before Friday and try to make my decision based on what you guys recommend ( I cant really decide on the 3 play)

BTW- I have seen Grey Gardens , Company, Spring Awakening, The Little Dog Laughed, A Chorus Line, The Apple Tree, Mary Poppins & Coast of Utopia - Voyage
I am planning to see - Curtains & Les Miserables ( already have tix for 3/10 weekend) and plan to see 110 in the Shade,Deuce ( Pirate Queen & Legally Blonde- probably ? )- thanks-j*

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 08:37 AM

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#2re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:40am

Haven't seen Prelude yet, but of the other 2 - TRANSLATIONS hands down. Beautiful production from top to bottom.

lawyerman Profile Photo
lawyerman
#2re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:20am

Didnt see Prelude but I havent heard great things.

Translations is the better quality production, but Talk Radio is way more interesting and exciting. Ie Translations can feel a lil dull. Id def go with Talk Radio, for Liev Schreiber alone.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#3re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:21am

I second TALK RADIO. It's really interesting and Schreiber's performance alone is worth the ticket.

iluvtheatertrash
#4re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:22am

PRELUDE TO A KISS is horrendous, but TALK RADIO is one hell of a night in the theater.

Haven't seen TRANSLATIONS.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#5re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 11:42am

How is PRELUDE horrendous? Share!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 12:04pm

All three are very strong in my opinion, but the one must-see of the group in Translations. It's an absolutely beautiful production that highlights the poetry of Brian Friel's writing, with a flawless ensemble cast.

And Prelude to a Kiss is hardly horrendous. This production of it blends the fantastical, absurdist elements of the show nicely with the real and the allegorical. The three central performances were spot-on.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#7re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 12:12pm

Haven't seen Prelude or Translations. But you can't miss Liev Schreiber's performance in Talk Radio. It is a must see.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#8re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:01pm

Prelude wasn't that bad---I got a rush ticket, and enjoyed it...

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#9re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:13pm

For now- I got

Translations- 2
Talk Radio- 4
Prelude-1 (?)

Yeah- I am afraid that Translation might be a bit boring for me ( like Coast of Utopia (Voyage) -unfortunatley I had a headache after I saw it, and I was wonderin' what's wrong with me ? As to why I did not enjoy the play while everyone is saying how good is it..) But I heard so many good things about Translations ! (but I am afraid that I may suffer the same fate as Utopia --I will keep tallying till Friday morning, then probably purchase the tix by Friday noon - for the play that got the most vote and opinion- Thank you so much ! guys ! I appreciate your input-j*

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 02:13 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:14pm

If you didn't like Voyage, Translations probably won't be your cup of tea. Go with Talk Radio, then.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:23pm

Why is Translations as "philosophical" and 'play of words" as Coast of Utopia? Though I must say I enjoyed the 1st 5 minutes or opening of Voyage . The guy ('the intelligentsia" (?) on the chair being engulfed by the sea ( probably respresenting Russia's philosophical ideas- ) then the whole cast was standing at the background with some mannequin (representing Russia's population) - It was very artsy & poetic !!! but that's it ! It was a downhill from me after that (unfortunately ! )
I was very entertained by "The Little Dog laughed" and love "Journey's End " -j*

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 02:23 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:28pm

I would say go with Journey's End or Our Leading Lady (i know neither were on your list, but these two are all better than the ones you listed, IMO)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#13re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 2:33pm

Without a Trace- I already seen " Journey's End" .. It was worth the daytrip to NYC..

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 02:33 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#14re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 3:01pm

=) Updated On: 2/26/07 at 03:01 PM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#15re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:15pm

anyone seen any of these three ?

saddle shoe side kick
#16re: Translation, Talk Radio or Prelude to a Kiss?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 2:10pm

For what it's worth, I saw Prelude to a Kiss on February 23rd and absolutely loved it. I even went home and bought the script online so I can use scenes from it in my acting class. This production was different from any straight play I've seen before, but that's most certainly NOT a bad thing. I can't wait to see it again.

"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up

Videos