News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Looking for a Musical...

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#1Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:21am

I am looking for a musical that has a Male Star Vehicle and really does not depend on a Female to carry the show...
Any ideas?

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Fenchurch
#2re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:35am

How to Succeed

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

#2re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:37am

The Music Man
The Boy From Oz
Naked Boys Singing re: Looking for a Musical...

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#3re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:53am

FORUM
LITTLE ME

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#4re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:37pm

LITTLE ME was a vehicle for Sid Ceasar, but it also needs a strong female co-star.

It depends on what you mean by a "female to carry the show". A lot of the suggestions thus far have a strong romantic storyline -- H2S has the secretary, MM has the librarian, and these characters have plot point songs. Are you looking for something without a love interest subplot?

http://docandraider.com

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#5re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:38pm

Gothampc
#6re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:48pm

Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
Godspell
La Cage Aux Folles
Company
Fiorello
Shenandoah

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 01:48 PM

#7re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:49pm

1776. It's a male ensemble piece, but only 2 women, no female chorus.

husk_charmer
#8re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:08pm

Um, Company relies a lot on women, and Godspell is a mixed ensemble...

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Julian2
#9re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:11pm

Pacific Overtures.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#10re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:16pm

George M!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

WOSQ
#11re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:26pm

What Makes Sammy Run? (1964) which was a vehicle for Steve Lawrence.

Its a shabby show, but it is a male star vehicle. Yes, there is a leading lady, but she's not the lead. He carries the show. It belongs to no one else. The script was published by Random House in hardcover and you could probably find a cheap copy on Abebooks.com.

Musical theatre seems to tilt toward strong female characters; hence strong female vehicles. The shows aren't called Mame, Dolly, Funny Girl for nix. For every John Raitt or Alfred Drake, there are probably four women of similar stature.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Gothampc
#12re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 5:38pm

"Um, Company relies a lot on women, and Godspell is a mixed ensemble..."

The question wasn't whether there were women. The question was a show that doesn't depend on a female to carry the show. Neither Company nor Godspell requires a female to carry the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#13re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 5:43pm

Sweet Smell of Success.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#14re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 5:55pm

WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN is an excellent choice: great score, great star turn for an actor.

http://docandraider.com

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#15re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/1/07 at 7:57pm

My first thought was How to Succeed as well, but there's also Stop the World-I Want to Get Off, The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd, and maybe Where's Charley?

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

DickonDefysGravity
#16re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/2/07 at 3:34pm

Interesting ideas.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

SporkGoddess
#17re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/2/07 at 3:50pm

May be cliche, but what about Jesus Christ Superstar? Aside from the Mary Magdelen solos the dependence on women is pretty much zilch.

The Scarlet Pimpernel has a very legitimate male starring role and is carried by the actor, but I don't know how crucial a good Marguerite would be. That might be important.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 3/2/07 at 03:50 PM

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#18re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/2/07 at 8:15pm

These shows all feature women prominently, but could still be considered "star vehicles" for the men:

Nine
Jekyll & Hyde
Bat Boy
The Full Monty
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

What do you need these for? Just curious.

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

DickonDefysGravity
#19re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/3/07 at 2:19pm

Just researching shows for next year's University season.

Is the revival of 'Little Me' any good?

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#20re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/3/07 at 3:10pm

Little Me is a marvelous musical, but you need a really talented guy to carry it. Remember, it was written for Sid Caesar, and the last revival in NYC starred Martin Short. When it was produced prior to that in NYC, the roles were split betwen two actors.

The leading man plays seven roles. It requires a lot of versatility, but the script by Neil Simon, is hilarious.

I saw a good ensemble musical last night, Zombie Prom. It has a central male lead, although the role of the Principal really carried the show. I'm sure there are others out there.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#21re: Looking for a Musical...
Posted: 3/3/07 at 3:48pm

How about Fiddler? I guess depending on how much of female parts you want to give out--obviously the daughters have some songs, but the show is definitely on Tevye's shoulders.

For one that I think features females to an even lesser extent--The Full Monty. I think the biggest female part is the old piano lady.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Videos