NYC in APRIL - Show Help

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#1NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 4:47pm

I will be in NYC in April, and most likely travelling alone. I am going to see some shows and wanted to get the board's advice as to what I should see. I know everyone has their opinions, and they are all appreciated! Right now, I have tickets to LEGALLY BLONDE (because i adore Michael Rupert), SPRING AWAKENING, and DEUCE.
A list of potentials...
Mary Poppins
Chorus Line
Pirate Queen
Curtains...

any others?

All help is appreciated!

Esparzafan Profile Photo
Esparzafan
#2re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 4:51pm

Company and Journey's End are both worth considering. Loved 'em both.

Have a great trip!

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#2re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 4:57pm

Definitiely COMPANY!

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#3re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:00pm

Ahhh! Company! I completely forgot! I saw Sweeney last spring and loved it. So, Company i think is a must!!!! Thank you!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:03pm

Since you are seeing 2 new fabulous shows go with something that is not as new. I say "A Chorus Line."

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:03pm

double post.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 3/6/07 at 05:03 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 5:55pm

Company and Grey Gardens

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

erinrebecca
#7re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 6:10pm

A Moon for the Misbegotten!

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#8re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 8:23pm

"Inherit The Wind" !

Broadwayfanatic2 Profile Photo
Broadwayfanatic2
#9re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 9:42pm

How about The Drowsy Chaperone?

javertjunky Profile Photo
javertjunky
#11re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/6/07 at 9:49pm

Company and Les Miz

"Men like me can never change, Men like you can never change. No, 24601. My duty's to the law - you have no Rights. Come with me 24601. Now the wheel has turned around, Jean Valjean is nothing now. Dare you talk to me of crime, And the price you had to pay. Every man is born in sin. Every man must choose his way. You know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail, I was born with s like you, I am from the gutter too!" ~Javert

Zeitoujo
#12re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/7/07 at 8:27am

les mis without a doubt. best show on broadway

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#13re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/7/07 at 10:03am

I have seen Drowsy and Grey Gardens both and loved them both.

I think COMPANY is a must. Chorus Line?

I have been reading the threads on Pirate Queen. Whooooo...i am nto sure about that, but it sounds like it may not be open by the time i ge there...just 8 days after opening night. Ok. kidding. slightly. but i am curious about the show.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#14re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/7/07 at 10:48am

C O M P A N Y

$36 student rush, 2 hours before the show, front row.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#15re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/7/07 at 11:29am

Company is definitely a must. And I know this suggestion shoots my credibility around here, but I really enjoyed Mary Poppins. I think it's Disney's best, and it's very different from the movie. I would see that too.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#16re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/7/07 at 12:59pm

i'd recommend A Chorus Line only if you haven't seen the show on Broadway before. if you have, you're only going to end up disappointed (in my opinion). it's pretty much The Standby Line as of late as it is.

Company is a definite must. So intensely moving and special.

Mary Poppins is iffy for me because i loved it a lot when i saw it, but if she didn't fly or if something on the set fcuked up again, i'd be pissed that i wasted my time.

Grey Gardens is immaculate and i loved it so much. the score is very Sondheim-inspired so i would definitely hit that up to the MUST list.

i'm seeing Curtains on the 17th and am very excited about it. i loved Steel Pier and i'm getting good vibes from this show. granted, i've only ever heard Steel Pier's score and i heard all the problems with that show were in the book...

i loved Spring Awakening a helluva lot when i saw it Off-Broadway so i'd put that on your list too. i have trepidation about how it'll come across in the Euegene O'Neill after seeing it in the Atlantic Theatre but i'm definitely going to make my way over there once another cast gets in. this cast they have now is the one i saw and they were really so special. i left the theatre on such a high from that show. DEFINITELY SEE.

i have a ticket to The Butt Pirate Queen for the end of this month but i'm really only seeing it because i'm almost banking it's going to be a flop. if you're not interested in seeing flops, i'd forget about it as well.
Updated On: 3/7/07 at 12:59 PM

Drew7810 Profile Photo
Drew7810
#17re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:23pm

ok, so I am rounding out my choices, one by one...COMPANY is a must! PIRATE QUEEN is almost definite. And because it seems response has been so good, I am going to try to see CURTAINS...a couple more slots to fill...110 IN THE SHADE is maybe, POPPINS maybe...A CHORUS LINE maybe...

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#18re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:27pm

The color purple is an amazing show.Mary Poppins is great as is Hairspray. I liked the pirate queen and curtains is a must see

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: NYC in APRIL - Show Help
Posted: 3/12/07 at 4:30pm

Curtains...the cast was amazing.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos