pixeltracker

The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings- Page 2

The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#25re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 2:41pm

I wish they would do a double cd of WICKED> It needs a complete.. symphonic recording.

But to me the best cd EVER is RAGTIME!

I adore it with all my heart.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#26re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:21pm

Company OBC
Sweeney Todd OBC
Sunday in the Park OBC
Most Happy Fella OBC
Camelot OBC
Chicago OBC (although it is annoying that the out of town version of Me and My Baby is used and that the Hot Honey Rag is not included)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:29pm

(although it is annoying that the out of town version of Me and My Baby is used

- That version was used in the Broadway production too. Roxie would sing the ballad version in the chair, and the music would pick up, she'd get out of the wheelchair, and go right into the dance version. For the recording they just used the ballad.

The revival didn't get the full ballad version.

But on this topic. I'm currently impressed with the new COMPANY recording. Updated On: 3/12/07 at 03:29 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#28re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:35pm

You mean that wasn't what was used for the Eddie Cantor style dance?

Sant
#29re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 3:58pm

CHICAGO 1996 Broadway revival cast recording.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#30re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 4:02pm

New COMPANY ORC recording. Well done, ps/Nonesuch!

ccpdramaking Profile Photo
ccpdramaking
#31re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 4:17pm

The Last 5 Years
Spring Awakening
Secret Garden

but my personal favorite that most people haven't heard but it's amazing is
Captains Courageous

"This is an adventure."

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#32re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 5:12pm

Wickedfan - I wish I could agree about GRAND HOTEL. I love the score and it is one of my favourite cast albums, but... it was late being done and a rush job at that.

There are many wrong notes, a strange fade at the end of I Waltz Alone, and uneven levels, plus the many needless cuts in the score.

Even the booklet was shoddy by RCA Victor standards: No notes and just a reprint of the musical synopsis of scenes that was in the playbill.

This show needed a recording that stitched together dialogue and song to create a recording that telescopes the show down to one 75 minute CD instead of 60 minutes worth of musical excerpts.

Of course given teh situation at teh tiem we're lucky we got a recording at all, and I am grateful. Well sorry-grateful.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

BDavis0092
#33re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 6:23pm

I love the Drowsy recording. The dialog before each individual character song is great.

I didn't really like the Wicked recording. I felt like they left out too much dialoge. Mostely because I had listened to all the music before I saw the show and when I saw it there was a lot of lines during songs that I would have liked on the cd.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

just_me1981
#34re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:12pm

for me, the sound quality and performances on See What I Wanna See, Ragtime and Children of Eden are wonderful. Also, having that beefed up string section on Little Women and Light In The Piazza sounds sensational!

Dark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
#35re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:21pm

Sweeney Todd
Sunday In The Park With George
West Side Story (Re-Issue)
Promises, Promises
Company

#36re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:27pm

Some have mentioned the Papermill Follies--I'm thankful we have it but as for the actual production it sounds too clinical and austere for me.

the OBCR of Company prob tops my list. Out of older ones I think the OBCRs of Sweet Charity and WSS are excellent for their time

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#37re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:29pm

Lestat but no one will hear it

Mack & Mabel

Poster Emeritus

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#38re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:33pm

How could I forget Ragtime?Piazza is also fabulous.

I find it odd that somebody listed Spring Awakening above. I think the recording is okay. It doesn't really capture much emotion but that's just me.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#39re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/12/07 at 7:34pm

Just about any of the Goddard Lieberson recordings for Columbia in the '50s and '60s could hold the title. But I always mention Thomas Shepard's No, No, Nanette as the gold standard of what a cast recording should sound like.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#40re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/13/07 at 8:04am

I've always thought that the Chicago London recording was much better than the Broadway Revival - the sounds seems cleaner somehow and the musical direction gives the orchestra a lot more 'life'...

husk_charmer
#41re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/13/07 at 9:29am

frontrowcenter2-
Weren't there producer battles at the recording studio, which forced everything behind, preventing David Carroll from recording his material (And dying AT the studio)? Or is that just lore?

I really love the "Ragtime" OBC, "A Chorus Line" OBC, "Company" OBC and the Papermill "Follies."

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#42re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/15/07 at 12:54am

What happened with GRAND HOTEL THE MUSICAL was that Tommy Tune brought in Maury Yeston to write new songs for the show and he also re-wrote some of the Wright & Forrest songs.

Wright and Forrest wanted their original versions used on the recording (and they published their songs in one portfolio, while ye Yeston songs were published separately.)

The show got good reviews but most critics failed to fully appreciate the score because it was so smoothly integrated into the action. Only one or two songs were apparent standouts.
The show was a nervous box office attraction until after the 1990 Tony Awards telecast which opened with Michael Jeeter and Brent Barrett doing "We'll Take a Glass Together." followed by Jeeter's Tony win. In all GRAND HOTEL won 5 Tonys, thought not the Best Musical, Best Book or Best Score prizes (which all went to CITY OF ANGELS - an equally deserving show.)

The business shot up into the 90% range right after than and the show turned into a hit. Still, none of the labels expressed any great interest in doing a cast album and for a while it looked as if the show would not get recorded until it went to London.

Producers of the revival of GUYS AND DOLLS wanted the Martin beck so it looked like GRAND HOTEL might close, but instead it moved to the Gershwin theatre for the final three months of its run (I always felt the Gershwin too large for it and it probably lost a lot in transfer. At the Martin beck the orchestra was on a suspended platform above the action. At the Gershwin it was in the orchestra pit.)

It was around the time of the transfer that RCA Victor was persuaded to make the cast album. David Carroll was dying of AIDS and they brought him into studio in advance of the recording date in a desperate attempt to get his songs tracked. but he collapsed and died before anything could be taped.

GRAND HOTEL THE MUSICAL closed at the end of April 1992. The CD was released to stores in June of that year. I premiered the CD on my radio program just after its release, and the song that attracted the most interest was "Who couldn't dance with you." (My favourite is "What You need" sung by the lesbian, and later danced by the tango couple.)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Sant
#43re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/15/07 at 8:58am

"I've always thought that the Chicago London recording was much better than the Broadway Revival - the sounds seems cleaner somehow and the musical direction gives the orchestra a lot more 'life'... "

And it contains a bit more dialogue.

But the problem with the London revival recoring in my book is that some of the numbers are too fast. "All That Jazz" 's tempo especially is way too fast. And "Cell Block Tango"'s too. But the main problem is Ute Lemper's over-acting. Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if I SAW her acting and dancing the part, but based purely on the cd I don't like her, she's acting too much.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#44re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/15/07 at 9:17am

But the main problem is Ute Lemper's over-acting. Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if I SAW her acting and dancing the part, but based purely on the cd I don't like her, she's acting too much.

I do agree with you there - it's certainly a very . . . mannered performance re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings I'm not as troubled by the changes to tempi though, and on the whole prefer the voices to those on the Broadway cast. Though from reading comments here I think I'm the only person who actually likes Henry Goodman...

RockabyeHamlet
#45re: The Most Superbly Produced Cast Recordings
Posted: 3/16/07 at 9:58am

Company 2006 Revival
Sweeney Todd 2000 Concert Recording
The Color Purple
Titanic
Tommy

- The list is based on sound clarity, arrangement, and the completness of the recording, not neccesarally on the performances.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee