pixeltracker

Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale

Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale

Yankeefan007
#1Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:43am

"The phones at Ticketmaster were, I'm told, ringing off the hook because a lot of viewers who bought tickets to "Grease" weren't happy with the actors chosen to play Danny and Sandy: Max Crumm (change the name, kid) and Laura Osnes.

"There was a bit of a frenzy because a lot of people wanted Austin and Ashley to win," says a source. "They wanted their money back."
The "Grease" team is also acutely aware that the Broadway community despised "You're the One That I Want." The only insider I know who was able to stomach every episode was writer and performer Seth Rudetsky. And that, I hope, is only because Playbill.com paid him to write a column about it every week.

The rest of Broadway was put off by the cheesy production values, poorly staged musical numbers and cookie-cutter nobodies who auditioned to play Danny and Sandy.

Crumm (that name again!) and Osnes are notable only because they were the least attractive of the lot.
Jacobs, insiders say, came off as a pompous oaf.

"He wrote one show ['Grease'] and carried on like he was Jule Styne," says one producer.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04042007/entertainment/theater/grease__desist_theater_michael_riedel.htm

jimnysf
#2re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:49am

"There was a bit of a frenzy because a lot of people wanted Austin and Ashley to win," says a source. "They wanted their money back."

Amen! I hope this show flops big time!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:52am

Did I mention that I love Riedel?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#3re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:56am

If a lot of people wanted them to win, shouldn't they have voted?

I agree with him on all other points though.

SorryGrateful
#4re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:03am

"Crumm (that name again!) and Osnes are notable only because they were the least attractive of the lot."

Yikes! That's pretty harsh. I agree with everything else he says, though.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:08am

He's a total biatch, but in the best sense of the word.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#6re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:14am

"The Grease team is also acutely aware that the Broadway community despised You're The One That I Want."

That is extremely true. I even know people that have been CAST in the damn thing who despised the show.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:42am

I honestly thought all the contestants sucked royally compared with most of the broadway tallent out there today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Jilani
#8re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:43am

I liked the article, but I don't think "American Idol" or "Dancing With the Stars" are appropriate for ratings comparisons. What's more telling is that the premiere episode had 11.5 million viewers, whereas the finale had barely 7 million (even fewer than the 8 million Riedel reports). Moreover, that paltry finale audience was the highest for the show since late January.

(Information from the TV Column in the Washington Post, "Winners and Losers" feature, March 28. Needless to say, the show was designated as a "loser".)

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#9re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:04am

Well, I'm sure we all figured this would happen.

What GREASE should do is slap their names below the title of the show and then noone can get a refund.

Right now its...
"Max and Laura in GREASE"

When it should have been...
"GREASE. Starring Max and Laura"

BSoBW2
#10re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:17am

Laura is unattractive?

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks for telling me Riedel.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:18am

Max and Laura aren't necessarily ugly, and frankly, I feel that Laura was the best of the lot. Max grew on me over time, and he has that quirky cuteness that would make a good Danny.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:22am

Yeah that 8 million dollars of advance ticket sales just screams mass cancelations. I think Riedel probably does reflect the general New York industry feeling about the program and perhaps the winners of the competition - but its kind of a pointless arguement. The show is in absolutely no way being targeted for a New York crowd.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#13re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:19pm

very interesting. but i do agree with some of the points he was making.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:26pm

Actually, I think the write up is bitter and mean. And honestly, I think at this point most people know that ticket sales are final and phones ringing "off the hook" for refunds sounds a little off, especially as there is no real citing as to the source of these reports.

As far Max and Laura being "ugly" that is just cruel and holds a very ugly mirror up to Riedel and how he feels about himself and his character. All in all, this smells like a sour grapes propaganda piece that is mean-spirited in nature. It makes me root for Kathleen, Max, and Laura all the more.

As far as the lower ratings for the show, it simply reflects the niche audience for Broadway musicals in general and confirms nothing that we all don't already know.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#15re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:33pm

re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
That receding hairline -- hot! Kinda like a rebel David Limbaugh.
re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale

Anyway, my mother watched this freaking show every week and even voted in it. Knowing she's coming to visit for my birthday in August, I bit the bullet and asked her if she wanted to see it while she's here. She said: "No, not really. I don't care for the show 'Grease' all that much.'" So to her, this was just another American Idol lite. Pre-sales not withstanding, I wonder how many viewers really cared enough to see this thing through.
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 12:33 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#16re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:34pm

"they were the least attractive of the lot."

How did you people go from that, to "unattractive," and then "ugly"? Good Christ, I wouldn't mind being the least unattractive of that lot! In fact, it would be about 100 steps up from where I am now!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

thevolleyballer
#17re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:34pm

"The phones at Ticketmaster were, I'm told, ringing off the hook..."

Sounds like surefire facts there, Riedel. He was 'told.' And I was told that condoms are 100% safe.

""You're the One That I Want" has left everybody - producers, chorus kids, critics, Tony voters, ushers and columnists - so disgusted, we're going to be gunning for the production."

This just screams BS. It's like Riedel is prompting us early on for something terrible that he'll write later on. Another example of how Riedel bases his opinions on whichever side -- love it or hate it -- sounds funnier in print.

Flush it down, God, cause it's just some excess sh*t.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:39pm

Actually, it does sound like PR - but I'll go out on a limb and say it feels like a set up for reverse spin. Riedel is infamous for spinning early venom and than "magically" changing his tune once a production opens. At any rate, the article seems completely silly - even for Riedel.

If he wanted to be melodramatic, what he should have mentioned was the general feeling of "outrage" from television viewers when the actual cast members of GREASE were revealed to be about 45 years old.

JustABroadwaybaby2
#19re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:45pm

After I read this, all I could think is...Ouch. It's funny in a mean sort of way. I'd lie to see his review when this show opens. By the way, is the huge digital billboard still up? or did they take it down after the finale?

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#20re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 12:48pm

well, having met both face to face, Max has an adorable quirky thing that is endearing and Laura is gorgeous. Maybe he has a thing for blondes (Austin)

Oh yeah sure, the Broadway community is pissed....A show to employ them, a TV network eager to promote going to a Broadway show (production values, cheezy whatever aside) every week....I would be thrilled somebody cared enough to talk about theater in NY at all these days.

Joshua488
#21re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:01pm

I don't know if this has been asked or posted anywhere else, but is it true that Max and Laura have contracts for only 34 performances with no opportunity to renew as the leads, but only renew for the ensemble? I heard this from a couple of people, but I don't know if there is any truth to it.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#22re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:36pm

Yeah, seriously if Laura is unattractive then my ass is in TROUBLE...lol

but yeah...I thought the two that one (from the very very few episodes I watched) expressed the songs, instead of singing as loud and christina aguilera like as they could (OMG, I'm such a good singer listen!!!).

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

fossemoves
#23re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 2:05pm

Unattractive? Dude...way harsh.

That being said, I don't think the show is really meant for the New York crowds. It's not unlike Cats, it's meant to be a tourist stop, not a 'artist' haven.

Fosse76
#24re: Riedel: Refunds Rampant after GREASE Finale
Posted: 4/4/07 at 2:08pm

"I don't know if this has been asked or posted anywhere else, but is it true that Max and Laura have contracts for only 34 performances with no opportunity to renew as the leads, but only renew for the ensemble? I heard this from a couple of people, but I don't know if there is any truth to it."

I really doubt that's true. That would mean they would barely make it to opening night before being shunned into the ensemble. They most likely have an "out" stipulation that allows the producers to get rid of them if they are unable to keep up the stamina for an 8-show per week schedule.