pixeltracker

Anyone seeing "CORAM BOY " this week?- Page 2

Anyone seeing "CORAM BOY " this week?

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#25re: Anyone seeing
Posted: 4/17/07 at 10:32am

First off, we should say BIG SPOILERS......

The deal with the babies is that The Coram man never actually takes the children to any hospital. He kills them. THe end of act one is the discovery of all of the babies' corpses and the Coram Man is hung because of this crime. As for the ship in act 2, i cant recall the exact plot, but it all makes sense. Shame you didn't follow all that.
Updated On: 4/17/07 at 10:32 AM

chris1978
#26re: Anyone seeing
Posted: 4/17/07 at 11:18am

Wow...I'll have someone else try and explain the show to you but it sounds like you completely missed the entire story. I will admit that it was a bit complicated but once you figured it all out it was great. I saw the dress rehearsal on saturday and thought it was spectacular. Great acting, interesting sets and staging, everything was just first rate.

This is my first post, so I'm sure most will just ignore it but I have been reading this board for over a year.

NewAgeDomestic Profile Photo
NewAgeDomestic
#27A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 11:22am

SPOILER FILLED & a bit long too

I saw the show last night and I thought it was great theatre. The ensemble is amazing-- to a note they are all wonderful. I especially loved Young Alex and Young Thomas-- the women who played these roles made me believe they were young boys. also loved the villains-- they really made me hate them.

The choir is beautiful and the pacing and staging (the "drowning" scene is quite well done) are great.
It had a strong Dickensian feel and was very atmospheric.

I had no problems following the plot, though I thought at times it was a bit soap-opera-ish-- still, overall it worked for me. I was not familiar with the book, and realized at some point during the second act that the story arc was a bit "predictable", but by this time, after seeing a whole heap of treachery and grostesque treatment of human beings, I was glad to feel comforted by the fact that surely everything would turn out okay in the end, with both boys ending up in a loving family.

By the end of the show I was caught up in the emotion, and felt completely satisfied to have spent the previous 2.5 hours in a theatre. Can't ask for much more than that. I even dreamed about the play last night, which I don't think has ever happened to me.

As a plot note, here's the deal with the ship: The "Coram Man" has told the hospital that he's found "homes" for the 6 girls, but he is really selling them into slavery. They are being loaded onto the ship for that purpose. Toby (the man's own foundling/slave) and Toby's best friend Aaron (along with Meshach who also happened to be the man's son) end up on the ship because the man has plans to sell/kill them as well. They leap over the side of the ship to escape.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#28A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 11:35am

<, As a plot note, here's the deal with the ship: The "Coram Man" has told the hospital that he's found "homes" for the 6 girls, but he is really selling them into slavery. They are being loaded onto the ship for that purpose. Toby (the man's own foundling/slave) and Toby's best friend Aaron (along with Meshach who also happened to be the man's son) end up on the ship because the man has plans to sell/kill them as well. They leap over the side of the ship to escape.

>>

Newage-- thatnks for posting this !! Going tnite, and I dont want to be TOTALLY confused !! :))

Really looking forward to this show !

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#29A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 12:08pm

I've really resisted posting anything because I've found the early "reviews" of shows in their preview period -- especially after the first preview -- to be a tad premature and a little bit unfair.

With that, I offer that the show is a jewel. Last night's performance was incredibly tight and engaging. I'm honestly shocked that WAT had such a hard time following it, especially given the specific plot points he noted. They all have appropriate lead-in moments that provide some context for what's happening or what's about to happen.

The comments made by TheatreBoy and NewAge, both in terms of explaining plot points and providing some impression of the show, are spot on. The "melodrama" and "histrionics" in some of the scenes will be dialed down once the timing of certain scenes and transitions are worked out; Melly Still [and her assistant, I believe] were in the last row of the orchestra, taking a ton of notes (at least as I saw a fistful of paper at intermission). [Corrected at 2:00 p.m.]

There is "some" indication that time has passed between Act I and Act II, but I think they need to mark the change with something a little more explicit. There is no projection, a la LES MISERABLES or THE COAST OF UTOPIA, to indicate changes in time and place.

All in all, a wonderfully staged production and very compelling story (although, to NewAge's comment about plot trajectory it becomes fairly predictable at a certain point) and you're glad you know there must be a happy ending. Finding the "joy" in life -- that's a good message from the show.

Enjoy! And, after you've seen JOURNEY'S END, you should definitely see this one.

Updated On: 4/17/07 at 12:08 PM

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#30A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 12:15pm

WAT ... you are not alone ... I saw it last night and was completely bored. I thought it was in amazing shape for a first preview, and an incredibly well done production, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#31A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 12:49pm

Melly Still is a woman, Smartful Dodger, so it's unlikely you saw "his" notes. :)

WithoutATrace, were you asleep or something?! I don't mean to be rude but the plot, while complicated, is pretty clearly explained and characters and events are well delineated.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#32A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 12:53pm

I am still interested to know how the on-stage chorus singing excerpts from MESSIAH fits into the plot.

TheatreBoy33, Without a Trace was not being melodramatic and certainly was not arrogant. If you read his posts regularly as I do you would know that he is a great lover of Broadway shows and goes out of his way to give positive comments about the productions that he sees and he sees just about everything, which gives him a great perspective. From what posters have had to say about CORAM BOY, I would be dumbfounded, too.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#33A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 12:56pm

I was awake and alert the entire show...I just didn't get it...sorry.

...and thank you, Gypsy9, for your kind comments.

Also, I asked the guy sitting next to me for clarification regarding Act 1 and he changed the subject...he just kept saying how much he "loved it" and thought it was "brilliant."

Updated On: 4/17/07 at 12:56 PM

NewAgeDomestic
#34A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 1:59pm

How Handel's Messiah fits into the show: a major aspect of the plot is music-- in the first act, we are at a cathedral in which a boy's choir is receiving music training; in the second act Handel himself (yes, Handel is a character in the play), as a benefactor to the Coram Foundling Hospital, has written music which is performed by the Coram choir.

In addition to this, music, both instrumental and choral, scores the play (much like on tv or in movies) to highlight or support what's going on in the story-- thus the music is both a literal part of the story, and a production component.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#35A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 3:59pm

Thanks for clearing that up, domestic. If you could tell me what excerpts from MESSIAH were sung, that would be appreciated.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Yankeefan007
#36A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 4:08pm

Theatreboy's comment seemed very out-of-line.

NewAgeDomestic
#37A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 4:52pm

GYPSY-- unfortunately i am basically unschooled in the specifics of classical music, so i can't tell you which parts were used except to say: the pretty parts? :)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#38A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 4:57pm

I only knew 2 selections from Messiah which is in the play --the No.44 (the one with Hallelujah- I am sure you heard this , its very common, usually in TV commercials or movie) and another is no. 12 ( A child is born......) I dont know the rest...if you wanna hear Hallelujah sample is in their website:

http://www.coramboyonbroadway.com/

Cant wait to see it on Friday -J*
Updated On: 4/17/07 at 04:57 PM

matthius202
#39A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/17/07 at 11:56pm

Just got back...the show was visually stunning. A beautiful piece of theater. Yes, there were predictable moments within the plot...but it's a small price to pay for what I just saw. I loved the show and will be going back.

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

Testing1232
#40A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:07am

Just got back as well, and this show is now my favorite show that I have seen this year ! Absolutely phenomenal !!
Visually stunning, and the cast is top-notch.

Handel's music is woven beautifully into the story and the cast/chior have the voices of angels !!!

The last 20 minutes are absolutely breathtaking !!!
(dont want to give anything away!!)

There are a few disturbing scenes, (as others have mentioned) but they are essential to the plot.

The audience loved it, and I have a feeling the critics are going to rave !!

Cant wait to see it again !!!

P.S- Mint, it was great meeting you and sharing the experience !!!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#41A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:13am

Can anyone comment on the performances of Jan Maxwell and Samantha Soule?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#42A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:15am

thanks for the free ticket testing!!! :)

as repeated, this is a theatrical experience not to be missed. "dickensonian"... it shows the dark side of humans as well as the good side. i also love how the music was weaved into the story; it was quite moving and seamless. the two "boys", Xanthe Elbrick & Uzo Aduba were phenomenal, and I didn't even realize til I read the Playbill afterwards that "Toby" is played by a female, not a boy!

The story was quite dark...a bit too much at times, but at least the ending is positive. Now I am torn...I thought that Best Play this year should go to Journey's End, but now Coram Boy may take it....(in my mind at least)

It was also fun to people watch during intermission; spotted Skylar Astin, Lauren Pritchard, and JOnathan Wright in the audience, as well as Christopher Wheeldon, the NYC ballet choreographer.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#43A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:18am

ac,

Jan Maxwell was a good strong character, definitely worthy of notice...but I couldn't quite understand her motives in her actions. But perhaps I missed it?

THe Playbill lists Samanatha Soule as a choir member. If she was...then, the choir does a fabulous job, but mostly stands on the balcony on the 2nd floor and sings from there.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#44A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:24am

Darn, I thought she had a bigger part! A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

matthius202
#45A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:26am

Yeah six members of the Spring Awakening cast were across the aisle from me...and one in the balcony who I physically ran into in the bathroom. Ouch! :)

"Be not like dumb, driven cattle. Be a hero in the strife." A Psalm of Life...Walt Whitman

Testing1232
#46A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:28am

I think its really tough to single out any of the performers. They were all very good, but this is ensemble in the truest sense of the word. If I was forced to single out someone, it would definitely be Elbrick !!!

Its really an amazing show !!!

Mint... you are very welcome ! It really was a great time !!!
(the four of us...LOL)

neddyfrank2
#47A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:34am

I thought that Best Play this year should go to Journey's End

I am pretty sure that it is a revival.

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#48A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 8:58am

I'm not seeing it til next Thursday. Now I don't wanna wait! Thanks, everyone, for some excellent posts. After the discussions on this board about the cost of the play to produce, and its potential longevity, I was happy to accept the "It will never make money, but it's a gift to American audiences" theory. Then I read about "The Under 18 Project" where the producers decided to offer half price tickets to students to help introduce them to theatre. Folks, if there was ever an argument for Good karma, I hope this show has it. Here's wishing Coram Boy, its cast, creative team, and especially its producers all the best!

Testing1232
#49A few thoughts on Coram Boy (spoilers)
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:02am

I see plenty of critic's "love letters" in its future !!