pixeltracker

If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.

If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 1:51am

I was wondering. How long do you think that Chicago and Hairspray would last if they stopped stunt casting?

I know hairspray really hasn't done it as much or at least as long as chicago.

But, for Chicago after on celebrity leaves another one enters right away. It gives off the impression that the wesslers don't have enough faith in the show in and of itself that they have to constently put famous people in to keep it going. I personally feel that if they never put a famous person in the roles of Roxie and Billy again it would close faster then you can say chicago.

What do you think?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 2:00am

Um, well with the movie coming out soon, I don't think Hairspray will stunt cast for at least a year. And, really, they haven't done much stunt casting.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#2re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 2:27am

I think Chicago could last for a while if they ceased stunt casting. Most of the celebrities lately have been far from A-list (I would say Usher is the exeption).
Most people know the movie and therefore the songs, just based on that Chicago would be able to remain open.
Also, keep in mind Chicago's weekly operating costs are extremely low.

Rotel1026
#3re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:13am

The better question would probably be, will Chicago ever close?

Fosse76
#4re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:33am

Hairspray's "stunt" casting is almost laughable. It hasn't done much for the show as far as grosses are concerned. I think it's because they cast "celebrities" who aren't really celebrities. Chicago is worse, casting any no-talent hack with a recognizable name in the show. And it's such a short rotation that I wonder if they even need to bother stunt casting. I mean, other than the people here who might enjoy watching him fall on his face, does anyone in the general public really going to buy a ticket to see Chicago because Joey Lawrence is in it?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#5re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:43am

i think hairspray will do good for a couple of more years then its out-the movie is gonna push it for a little big longer

chicago idk

#6re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:47am

SO how do you define "Stunt casting"? Is casting a well-known name stunt casting?

To me stunt casting is putting a person on Broadway simply because they are famous, regardless of whether they can sing act or dance. Like Kato Kaelin playing Corny Collins. By my count, I don't think Hairspray has ever engeaged in Stunt Casting and Chicago only very very rarely.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#7re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 11:15am

Chicago is in a completely different boat than Hairspray.

Hairspray has had a few people but they all still fit and have been very good. Chicago just does what they want.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Fosse76
#8re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 11:22am

"I don't think Hairspray has ever engeaged in Stunt Casting and Chicago only very very rarely."

For Hairspray I have two words: Haylie Duff (Alexa Vega is a close second for being just as bad)

Chicago has so many I wouldn't even know where to begin.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:18pm

What I mean by stunt casting is putting someone famous in a role regardless of how good they are on stage. I know hairspray hasn't really done this. But, it is starting to go down the path that Chicago is on. It seems that everytime one clebrity leaves Chicago another one enters. I just wonder in terms of Chicago how it would fare without that happening. It gives me the impression that the Wessler's don't have much faith in thier show to let the show be the show and sell itself. I mean, it isn't only on broadway that they are stunt casting Chicago. The Wesslers are doing the same thing for the West End production as well. Most of the people that they cast over there are mostly famous people from that side of the pond but still.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

#10re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 12:21pm

Haylie Duff is a singer and an actress. Why shouldn't she be cast in a broadway musical?

To me Stunt casting is writing a part for Dominique Dawes (now forgotten olympic gold medal winner) in the Grease revival.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#11re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 1:01pm

Alexa Vega wasn't bad as Penny. I just saw her Sat night. She wasn't the best Penny I've ever seen, but she was very good. I also saw Joey Lawrence in Chicago Sat afternoon. He was good and, since it was only his 2nd performance, he will get better. I don't mind if they cast "celebrities" when the star can actually do the role. What I hate is when they bring in someone who is clueless and talentless and can't even begin to play the role just to sell tickets. i.e. Melanie Griffith!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#12re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 1:55pm

I would hardly call Haliey Duff and Alex Vega 'stunt casting' since no one over 30 knows or cares who they are.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Fosse76
#13re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 3:57pm

You are right TheatreDiva, but the under 30 crowd is exactly what Hairspray wants. And JoeKV99, while Haylie Duff and her handlers might call her a singer and actress, she is neither, and it was very evident how bad an actress and singer she really is when she was on stage at the Neil Simon. Ask any of the theatre staff, and they just snort with laughter. I think in the funny things overheard thread someone mentioned an audience complained on how bnad the understudy was, but it was in fact Haylie Duff and not an understudy.

Yankeefan007
#14re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 4:04pm

I don't understand how someone can compare the casting of Hairspray and Chicago.

Look at this track list:

Chicago - Usher, Joey Laurence, Melanie Griffith, Hamlin/Rinna, Brooke Shields, Marilu Henner, etc.

Hairspray - Stephen DeRosa, Shannon Durig, Blake Hammond, Leah Hocking.

Get the difference?

MungoGypsy8232
#15re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 4:15pm

Diana DeGarmo, Haylie Duff, and Alex Vega hardly qualify as stunt casting. Some singers/actors are just talented in stage and screen, such as Michael McKean who was the first replacement for Edna. While I can't speak for the last two, Diana DeGarmo is an accomplished singer/actress who fit the part whereas some stunt casting in Chicago required people just getting thrown into the roles (aka Melanie Griffith). Would you consider Paul Vogt stunt casting since is an accomplished comedian screen-actor who was popularized on MadTV even though he already played the part in either the tour or Las Vegas or somewhere else (I'm too busy to check) and already had stage experience? It seriously all comes down to one's definition of stunt casting.

Fosse76
#16re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 5:48pm

The purpose of stunt casting is to cast a recognizable name in order to increase the box office take. While I agree that Haylie Duff, Diana DeGarmo, Ashley Parker Angel, and Alexa Vega are barely in the public consiousness, they are well known among the demographic the producers are hoping to attract. But of these names, only Diana DeGarmo has any real talent. And she was approached only after she had expressed an interest in being in the film as Penny.

As I said above, though, it doesn't seem that this casting has done any real significance for the box office, though there have been spikes, its attribution remains unclear. As for Chicago, the names come and go so quickly that I would argue that it is very difficult to determine whether or not any of the B_list has-been celebrities the Weisslers cast have any real impact on the box office. With the exception of Usher, has there been significant demand for tickets due to the presence of a "name" in the cast?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 6:25pm

"You are right TheatreDiva, but the under 30 crowd is exactly what Hairspray wants."

That's a load of crap. They want anyone who can buy a ticket. Why would they focus on teens and 20 somethings? Folks over 30 have more spending money.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Yankeefan007
#18re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 6:28pm

When I think of stunt casting, my mind automatically goes to famous people.

Haylie Duff, Diana DeGarmo, Ashley Parker Angel, etc. are hardly famous, IMO.

Swiftynifty15
#19re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:35pm

Diana's fame is rebuilding as she prepares to promote her new album. I can tell.

Fosse76
#20re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:35pm

"That's a load of crap. They want anyone who can buy a ticket. Why would they focus on teens and 20 somethings? Folks over 30 have more spending money."

You're full of crap. Take a basic marketing class. With the cost of tickets these days, tourists are looking for shows the whole family can enjoy. By casting "names" that are recognizable (even if the show isn't recognizable), it increases the chances that "the kids" would rather see a show with Alexa Vega in it as opposed to the no-one-famous-in-it Lioon King. While ultimately Mom will decide, kids have a lot of swaying power these days. It only makes sense to market to as broad an audience as possible. Look at the film version. They are marketing across the board by their casting decisions.

Mrs.LinkLarkin2 Profile Photo
Mrs.LinkLarkin2
#21re: If Hairspray and Chicago stopped doing stunt casting.
Posted: 5/7/07 at 11:12pm

Although Diana, Alexa, Haylie, and Ashley aren't anything close to A-List celebrities, I think they do draw in a younger demographic. I'm 19 and a HUGE American Idol fan. I initially saw the show in Nov. b/c Diana. I saw it 4 times after that b/c I loved it so much (and Aaron Tveit). I saw for the 5th time in February for Ashley! Anyway, do you know how many screaming teenage girls are outside Hairspray everyday for Ashley? It's insane! He's definitely bringing in the older teens who love him on MTV and back in his O-Town days. And he's very talented, a perfect Link, and a super sweet guy. I just wanted to put my two cents in about that!

Videos