Grey Gardens- new look?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:04pm

Actually, they DO need help distributing them.

It's on the job listings section of Playbill.com

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#26re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:28pm

This is the truth.
I get most of my information on what to see or not based upon what I read here. The previous ad campaign for Grey Gardens just didn't make someone want to go see this show.
I hope the new strategy works for them. Whether one likes it or not, at least it grabbed my attention.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#27re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:29pm

SPOILER ALERT (kind of)....

The saving grace of the campaign, from my perspective, is that it foreshadows the headlines that are projected on the front of the house as the show begins and the expository narration introduces us to the characters. As well, when Edie opens Act II with the newspaper clipping, we get a second tie to "sensational journalism."

Yes, the story and everything else about this show are lovely and beautiful, there is a bit of ACCESS HOLLYWOOD and EXTRA about the whole enterprise. Again, very creative approach, completely appropriate for summer tourist sales.

Keeping fingers crossed...
Updated On: 5/7/07 at 10:29 PM

Miss.Vanessi
#28re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:28am

When I first saw the ad in the NY Times, I could not stop laughing. (And this was in the lobby of a Starbucks...) I think it's brilliant! The original artwork is beautiful, that's a definite, but it doesn't really tell anyone why they should see the show. A woman in a hat holding a mirror in front of her face? What's the draw?
Norn, tell your friend that this girl thinks she's a GENIUS.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#29re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:37am

When my 11-year-old daughter first saw the "Edie in front of the mirror," she said, "Why is that girl chewing bubble gum and blowing a big bubble?"

I still love it though.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#30re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:56am

I actually think its a great idea. I love the original Broaday publicity, but itz clearly not working...

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#31re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:00am

The overall look on the website is fantastic, but if I saw that little blurb on the side of an NYC bus I probably wouldn't be very grabbed. I'd be confused why a Grey Gardens ad looked so much like a Wheaties box. The original poster (fan in face) is so elegant and subtle, and catches the eye just as effectively.
But if new advertising is what the show needs, they might as well give it a shot.

Judy, Liza, Barbara, Bette, these are names I shant forget.

ashley0139
#32re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:12am

Honestly, I am glad they are doing something to boost their sales. I'm glad they are trying. If one thing doesn't work, completely change your tactic. More than some other shows of this season can say.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#33re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:13am

From over the weekend...

re: Grey Gardens- new look?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#34re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:14am

Love it! Thanks for posting!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BSoBW2
#35re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:14am

Nice pictures! Thanks.

BeingAlive Profile Photo
BeingAlive
#36re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:15am

ooh la la! Those are definitley better. Love the bottom ad. Thanks!

Judy, Liza, Barbara, Bette, these are names I shant forget.

glancingforward
#37re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:22am

LINK..i agree. the original artwork said something about the material..the new look is very second rate

ashley0139
#38re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:23am

Thanks for the pictures!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 01:23 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#39re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:34am

What did the original artwork say about the show at all? I mean, it was beautiful, but I said nothing to those who didn't know the doc. This at least tells something about the story, and given the media hoopla surronding the Beales in the 70s, it's a genius marketing campaign.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

VIETgrlTerifa
#40re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:46am

Exactly. I loved the original artwork, but it didn't tell you anything about the show other than it might look beautiful.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#41re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:45am

i LOVE the last poster in Shubert's Alley :)

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)