Grey Gardens- new look?

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#1Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:34pm

Grey Gardens- new look?

I don't know if anyone has seen the new look on the Grey Gardens website, but its completely redone in red with white and yellow lettering. Also, an ad for the show I saw on the NY Times site had this same look. (The 'new look' is seen above)
Anyways, I was just wondering if this is how all the new print ads and such for the show are looking? I dont live in NYC so I dont really see ads for the show much.
And do people like this new look for the show? Its not as beautiful and artful (if thats a word) as the old look, but its certainly more bold.
Discuss :)
Grey Gardens new website

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#2re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:38pm

All of the new ads are looking like this. I like it, but I think I like the more artful look better. Luckily the Walter Kerr still has the glorious marquee.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

C is for Company
#2re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:40pm

Like it. Very tabloid oriented, which as we all know catches attention. Although the greens and rich colors are beautiful, nothing says urgent like a stark red. I'm glad to see something being done to help improve the dire percentages of such a fantastic show.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#3re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:41pm

Amen to that, C.

While I'm not a fan of this artwork, it does grab attention.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#4re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:42pm

I am REALLY not a fan of this approach. I thought the original graphic design work was so beautiful and matched the tone of the show so well.

Akiva

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:42pm

Ugh, looks like it came straight from the Enquirer or the New York Post.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:46pm

Yeah, that's the point. They're trying to make it seem like a rag newspaper.

They will be distributing fake GREY GARDENS newspapers to try to generate interest.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#7re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:47pm

That's a good idea. Hopefully it helps. I really want to see this show in July.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#8re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:48pm

I noticed this the other day, and really liked the marketing angle.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:53pm

Munk, are you serious about the fake papers? That'd actually be a great marketing device and it puts the new logo in context.
I guess fromt that point it is a very clever design, from an aesthetic point of view, I miss the artsy look.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Yankeefan007
#10re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 7:57pm

Yes, they will be giving out fake tabloids.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#11re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:00pm

the fake tabloids are a really cool idea...

C is for Company
#12re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:02pm

Good to see a *crosses fingers* successful advertising boost that will hopefully attract more attention. Apparently beauty doesn't drag people into the theater which I'm sure we all could have figured out anyway, but urgency may do the trick.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#13re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:12pm

This show should really be selling to capacity every week-

Given the performances, it deserves it !!

Must be seen!

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#14re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:12pm

There are a bunch bills posted on construction sites and sidewalk-level outdoor advertising sites throughout midtown, a la tabloid front pages, that really grab attention. Kudos to the new "celebrity gone bad" marketing angle. It suggests something scandalous.

ashley0139
#15re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:23pm

Oh now I really want one of the tabloids. And even if I don't like the look, I understand it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#16re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:25pm

thats very cool about the fake tabloids. i wonder if they need any help passing them out, haha...

and yeah, i definitely hope this new ad campaign using the different logo helps bring more people to the show!

im still debating if i should see GREY GARDENS for the 3rd time or 110 IN THE SHADE this Saturday when I'm in the city...

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

#17re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:30pm

this was my friend Lizz's concept!

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#18re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:48pm

Dirty.... if you havent seen "110" yet.... GO !!!!!!!!!!

Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#19re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 8:56pm

yeah, i havent seen 110 yet
im just worried that GREY GARDENS will not be open this October or November when i'll be in the city next, so yeah, hopefully this new ad campaign works, because i REALLY need to see GREY GARDENS one more time
but yeah, ill most likely go with 110 this time around... :)

ThankstoPhantom
#20re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:00pm

With the current state of things, they desperately need a new advertising approach. They need to talk about what the show is ABOUT (something they're just starting now).

I've decided that I'm going to try and get to NY next month just in case this approach doesn't work out, because I really need to see this, and I want to do my part by purchasing a ticket.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#21re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:08pm

While I don't love the new ad campaign, I am all about free merchandise so I look foward to this:
"They will be distributing fake GREY GARDENS newspapers to try to generate interest. "

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#22re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:26pm

I think I'm pretty much with most people here...as marketing, I'm glad they're doing something that will most definitely catch the public's attention. The new site, the print ads in the city, the new radio ads...all are very geared towards the public's obsession with fallen celebrity, which should pack in some more seats. And this show really deserves it.

But really, I hate looking at the stuff. After having experienced this beautiful show, the original design evoked in me so many wonderful feelings and really matched the tone perfectly. The new campaign, while (as I said) very effective and pretty smart, is almost like blasphemy when you look at what it replaced. Kudos to the people who thought it up, but personally my eyes can't take much more of it. (But I understand it's not for people like me.)

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 5/7/07 at 09:26 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:38pm

It's definitely a drastic change, which upsets me a little. But this show deserves to be a hit - if this helps it sell, I will be thrilled!

And I agree they are finally promoting what the show is about; which is wonderful.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#24re: Grey Gardens- new look?
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:46pm

I agree with others who find the tone of this marketing approach to be at odds with the beauty of GG. It's a challenge to market this show to the 99.9% of people who not only aren't obsessed with the Grey Gardens documentary but haven't even heard of it.

I hope within a few weeks they'll be able to market this show by touting the fact that it won both Best Actress and Supporting Actress Tonys, along with a bunch of others.

Until then, if this campaign can sell some tickets and keep this wonderful piece of theater running longer I'm all for it.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie