Munky Award Winners

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#75re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:05pm

oh wow. those are really interesting. I'm REALLY glad that Crudup got the kudos he deserved for Utopia, he's tres fab!

I haven't seen Spring Awakening so I can't comment but I have seen Grey Gardens and, like it as I did, the first act was incredibly weak, compared to the tremendous second act.

Also- with Company, I thought the orchestrations left lots to be desired, even though I give the woman mad props for slimming down the show. They were no where as exciting as Sweeney's orchestrations.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#76re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:14pm

I agree that Mayer's direction was one of the weaker points of Spring Awakening, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes home the Tony.

I'm a little perplexed that neither Company nor last year's Sweeney Todd have gotten much notice for Lighting Design, which I think has been a highlight of both productions (especially Sweeney).

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#77re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:16pm

Maybe I need to revisit Company. I didn't really like it when I saw it in Novemeber, but maybe it has improved since then?

I liked Spring Awakening, but think it's a bit overrated.
Updated On: 5/8/07 at 06:16 PM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#78re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:16pm

yeah, Sweeney's lighting was fantastic. I can't believe it lost Best Revival

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

neddyfrank2
#79re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:28pm

Thanks Munk!

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#80re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:36pm

SPRING AWAKENING is great and all, but why so few GREY GARDENS awards?
hm

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#81re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:43pm

Probably because there are way more Spring Awakening fans on BWW than there are hardcore Grey Gardens fans who would make a point to vote.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#82re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:46pm

i enjoyed Spring Awakening much more than I did Grey Gardens, and i'm not THAT much of a fan... but i think emcee is right...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#83re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 9:11pm

"Broadwaygirl, a lot of people feel as though Doyle did nothing new with Company since he did the same thing with Sweeney."

To say that Doyle did nothing new with Company, or that he did the same thing with Sweeney is to entirely miss what he did with EITHER show. Just because he modernized them and had the actors playing the instruments, doesn't mean that what he actually did conceptually with the show was the same. That's like saying every show that is mounted in its original time period with an orchestra in the pit is doing the same thing.

I certainly hope the people at the Drama Desks and Tonys are not so imperceptive (wishful thinking, right?).
Updated On: 5/9/07 at 09:11 PM

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#84re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 9:22pm

These shows and the people involved with putting them on don't hold a candle to MUNK! Putting this together was such a labor of love. I think we can all do something the theatre critics can't seem to: AGREE...that MUNK deserves accolades for his energy, commitment, persistence and patience (not to mention his good humor. People on this board can be awfully overbearing. re: Munky Award Winners)

BRAVO, MUNK!!!!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#85re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/8/07 at 11:32pm

Munky did a great job.

I am surprised at the number of actual voters, seem a lot less than I would have thought, but it shows why SA won so many.
The die hards went to bat for their show.
And COMPANY also.

Choreography should have definitely gone to PIRATE QUEEN.

Julian2
#86re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 12:43am

Spring Awakening for Score? What?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

ashley0139
#87re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 1:11am

Yes, Spring Awakening has a good pop/rock score, but Grey Gardens' music is so intricate. Just because you can't belt it out driving in the car doesn't make it not brilliant. Oh well. I also think GG should have won Best Musical. It affected me much more than SA. But what can you do, this is BWW.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#88re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 1:13am

Well, I don't know Ashley, it IS pretty fun to belt out "Revolutionary Costume".

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ashley0139
#89re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 1:15am

Touche, wonderfulwizard. re: Munky Award Winners

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

wonderfulwizard11
#90re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 1:16am

And then, same with "Hominy Grits" but that wouldn't be too good if someone overeard that. re: Munky Award Winners

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#91re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 2:18am

Don't leave "Daddy's Girl" out of the game, it's pretty fun to sing to Erin Davie's version while packing or taking a shower...but I digress.
SPRING AWAKENING was pretty predictable, unfortunately. Particularly the awards for direction and score, at least the GREY GARDENS book was recognized. I think Scott Frankel and Michael Corie deserve the Best Score award come Tony time, the GREY GARDENS score is so fascinating, complex, and exciting.
I can't believe Laura Bell Bundy got more votes than Donna Murphy in the best acting category...only in BWW.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#92re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 2:31am

"I can't believe Laura Bell Bundy got more votes than Donna Murphy in the best acting category...only in BWW."

I don't think it's that surprising. In fact, I find it pretty normal. A lot of people who voted for Ebersole probably had McDonald Murphy as their second choice. But since you can't vote for more than one, Ebersole collected pretty much all the votes, leaving Murphy behind. Bundy probably got more votes from a different pool, people who haven't seen Grey Gardens or didn't think Ebersole was worth all the hooplah. Had Ebersole gotten fewer votes, Murphy probably would have gotten more votes than Bundy. Does what I just said make sense? It's very late, lol. re: Munky Award Winners

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#93re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 2:36am

Makes a lot of sense bjh2114, I was just hoping people would give more credit to Murphy than Laura Bell Bundy of all people. Could've been worse though, it could've been Ashley Brown.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#94re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 6:05am

"Don't leave "Daddy's Girl" out of the game, it's pretty fun to sing to Erin Davie's version while packing or taking a shower...but I digress. "

oh, im in love with 'Daddy's Girl'! favorite song in GREY GARDENS. that and 'Choose to be Happy', haha. and yeah, i wish GREY GARDENS won score over SPRING, but hey, SPRING was good too, so its not like... LEGALLY BLONDE won best score.

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#95re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/9/07 at 10:45am

Glad to know I'm not the only one that belts out Grey Gardens in the car! Personally, I'm a fan of "The Cake I Had" and "Five Fifteen"!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#96re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/10/07 at 10:20pm

I sing the whole friggin' album pretty much. Favorites-"Peas in a Pod," "Will You?" "Revolutionary Costume" "Five Fifteen"
and I LOVE "Around the World" and "Another Winter in a Summer Town".
(Around the World is my favorite song.)

It's the most beautiful score I've heard in ages.

And go Christine-let's hope the Tony vote is as decisive as this.
(She deserves it.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

wonderfulwizard11
#97re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/10/07 at 10:27pm

As a guy, it IS very fun to sing Another Winter. In the same octave Christine sings. re: Munky Award Winners

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#98re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/10/07 at 10:35pm

I find it fun to sing as a woman. In her range, too!

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#99re: Munky Award Winners
Posted: 5/10/07 at 10:42pm

I really think 'The Pirate Queen' had the best choreography.