A Chorus Line

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#1A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:27pm

I'm sure this has been asked, but I have to know. I just saw Chorus Line and I was wondering - where do the actors who don't "get it" in the opening GO after their part? Since there's no bows per se, they're not there - they don't come on otherwise -- do they just leave and go home? How do they get paid. I mean, I assume they're all understudies - but do they get paid fully for the 10 minutes they're there?

On another note, ACL was the first show I ever saw - back in 1988. I sat through the production today and choked back tears through almost the whole thing -- I didn't expect to be so emotional about it, but seeing this production reminded me of why I fell in love with theater in the first place. Though my career has led me away from theater (mostly), there's no doubt that theater will always be a constant in my life. I can't imagine not listening to cast albums or going to shows or even being on BWW - and watching ACL today kind of brought all of that to the front for me - both because of what the show itself is about AND it's history for me.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:30pm

I might be mistaken, but I beleive those actors stay and sing backstage in some of the other numbers. I could be wrong, though.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ghostlight2
#2re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:21am

You are not mistaken, wizard. The cut dancers stay to the end of the show. On occasion, I have heard that they have had to step in and take over a role mid-show due to unexpected illness or injury.

Don't know whether they're considered understudies or stand bys or swings. I never could keep all that straight. But the cut dancers are considered roles, and they all even have names, so I'd have to assume they at least make equity minimum.

Thanks for your touching post jasonf, and likewise, glad you enjoyed the show.

hellzapoppin2000 Profile Photo
hellzapoppin2000
#3re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 5:45am

always exciting to see a chorus line character replaced mid-performance.

BroadwaySinger2
#4re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:26am

As un-educated about the show as this may seem, at the end when certain people are chosen to move forward in the final cast, is it different every night?

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#5re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:30am

no

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#6re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:35am

No Broadwaysinger, it's always the same characters.

ghostlight2
#7re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:52am

"As un-educated about the show as this may seem, at the end when certain people are chosen to move forward in the final cast, is it different every night?"

Actually, Broadwaysinger, in the original workshop versions, it DID change nightly. And even when it was at the Public, originally, Cassie was axed in favour of Shelia. But as the legend goes, the show doctor's gal said that would be too much of a downer...Cassie had to make the line. The rest is history.

But it wasn't always so.

So your question might have been uneducated, I guess - but as it turns out, it was actually pretty enlightened.

Updated On: 5/13/07 at 07:52 AM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#8re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 9:27am

That "gal" is Marsha Mason, then the wife of Neil Simon.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

ghostlight2
#9re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 11:44am

And a fine gal she is....

re: A Chorus Line Updated On: 5/13/07 at 11:44 AM

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#10re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:06pm

jasonf, Im in this situation now whether I should follow my dreams (being in the theatre) or be or rational and study something more practical.... wish me luck that I will never leave the theatre ~

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#11re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:16pm

IIRC, in the original printing of the script, a stage direction noted that the choices at the end *were* to be random every night, and I always felt that was a cool idea. It would force the performers to stay a little more on top of their game.

http://docandraider.com

kooky
#12re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/13/07 at 10:47pm

Saw the show today, and was thinking of the first time I saw the original show
when it opened, wow, most of the cast was not even born yet!

This is truly an AMERICAN CLASSIC, loved it soooo much.

#13re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:13am

Yeah I think it's in Mandelbaum's book that the performers said that not knowing who woul dbe cut added an extra level to their performance but it also added an insane amount of stress that just wasn't viable for a night to night job.

E

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#14re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:28am

Changing the selected dancers would also complicate the transition to the finale, though I think it would make the show even more interesting.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

#15re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:34am

Actually yeah I think that was another part of the problem--I don't remember the details but it screwed up with the smoothness of the costume change, etc, when no one knew for sure who would need to make the change.

E

Urban
#16re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:58am

As thrilling as the idea of having who makes the cut change each night is, it does sound a little to experiemental/off-broadwayish in the same vein as Clue The Musical.

It doesn't really work in something as powerful as ACL.

and the mirror
#17re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 10:18am

If I'm not mistaken, though, while they had the random pick each night, there was also no 'One' reprise. They actually did something that I like better. Basically, the lights go down and when they come back up the only thing left on stage is the line. During previews at the Public, that all changed. I think that's what it said in On The Line, anyway.

gymdudeva
#18re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 11:27am

the lights go down and when they come back up the only thing left on stage is the line.

You mean just a bare stage? ooooo, I really like that! I am probably in a minority, since the glitzy finale is so well-loved, but I think that would be a powerful ending...

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#19re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 11:32am

There was also talk of having the finale performed with the line having its back to the audience -- in effect, putting us onstage with them as they perform to the unseen audience upstage. They never could make it work, which is just as well, but I always wanted to see the empty stage finale. The glitz of "One" just undercuts everything we've seen and takaes the show in the "pleasing the audience, not honouring the material" direction.

http://docandraider.com

gymdudeva
#20re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 11:40am

I agree SeanMartin...I never really inderstand how that finale really fit into the rest...I mean, the first part of it makes a heck of a curtian call, but then...I dunno, I guess it's supposed to show the actual empty over-the-top glitz that they are all sriving to be a part of. Still, it would send chills down my spine to just have the lights go down, then just some plain worklights come up on the bare stage....or maybe just some lights focused on the line....

MyLife
#21re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 11:45am

See, I love the great finally at the end of the show, but I think its meaning is often misinterpreted. In my opinion, it is not meant to "please the audience" and undercut the material. Look what happens at the end of the show. Eight of the people you just spent 2 hours learning about get picked to be on Zach's line. In the next scene, they are all back in the chorus line in costumes where it is hard to determine who is who. In a way, it brings the hsow back to the beginning. Though you know who these people are at the end, they are all the same. All 17 actors dance onstage. I ask myself, "what did the dancers who got chosen actually win?" They do not get any extra recognition, but they were so happy when they were picked. Plus, the fact that there is no official curtain call and the last image you see is the line kicking "going on forever" gives the image that the dancers will keep going on like robots, never revealing their own identities onstage. This is tragic and sad, yet it makes them ending. So, is it really a happy ending? I do not think the finale undercuts the material at all, the reaction the audience gives and the eay it interprets the finale does.

Though the dancers live this hard life and even when they "make it" they are unknown, they can still lead a powerful, glamourous, "glitzy", and happy life in their eyes.

and the mirror
#22re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 11:51am

MyLife, that is completely true. However, I really think I prefer the bare stage with just the line present is more magical. They weren't on the line when you entered the theatre, they aren't there at the end. I think that also brings you full circle. It also is somewhat symbolic of the unknown in terms of auditioning for a show.

MyLife
#23re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 12:04pm

andinthemirror, I agree with you as well. However, I guess if there is a packed audience every night, the expect somethign big. And I think it is nice to present the number that the audience had seen the dancers working on throughout the show. The audience can see the work put into a large "hat number," which is what Michael Bennett wanted in the show. And as far as seeing the blank line at the end, I think you still get that feeling somewhat. After the finale, after the first time I'd seen the show, I expected a curtain call. The lights came up on the blank stage and the audience (including me) sat their clapping for a good 3 minutes, I guess waiting for the actors to bow. No one came out, and that hit me hard. Maybe this isn't as magical as them not bowing without the finale, but that same image does get across. Plus, the big finale is definitely a big part of ACLs success. The show attracts those theatergoers who like to see glitz and glamour (like Wicked and the Producers)as well as those who like the smaller shows (Spring Awakening, Rent [in its early days]).

What does throw off this image of the empty stage at the end is during BCEFA. Zach and Mari came out to talka bot the cause and then a bunch of the actors were in their gold costumes with buckets. I know BCEFA is a great cause, and a necessary one. But it definitely throws off that final image given. I wish there were some way to talk about BCEFA without having the gold costumes leave the sttage and without havung anyone enter the stage after the kickline.

and the mirror
#24re: A Chorus Line
Posted: 5/14/07 at 12:08pm

That is true. Also, in On The Line, it said that 'One' and it's reprise kind of satarize traditional theatre--praising the virtues of the leading lady and being all glitz and glamour. I do enjoy the fact that they kept the image there anyway. And I do believe that you're correct about the people coming to see it. While educated theatre-goers would get the power, I'm not sure how much the bare stage would affect your everyday person. I still wish they kept it though.

As for BCEFA, anyone else think it would be cool if Zach delivered it from his post in the back of the theatre?

Videos