Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 4:28pm

AKA She'll be back Tuesday.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Yankeefan007
#2re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 4:43pm

Yep, that's what it's saying.

AKA: everything which was posted last night was false.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#3re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 4:46pm

Thanks, I wasn't crystal clear on what the article said. Why would someone post something false like that? It sickens me.

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#4re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 5:55pm

That particular rumor was beyond the pale. To cause unnecessary worry to their family and friends is not funny, just disgusting.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

Yankeefan007
#5re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:16pm

I can't imagine that so many people in their "circle" actually read the postings, especially in the 2-3 hour period that the rumor circulated, but I could be wrong.

jg4892
#6re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:18pm

What was this rumor I missed?

lawyerman Profile Photo
lawyerman
#7re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:46pm

im so confused both by the missing "rumor" that i also missed and by that playbill article-

blazer is sick and so is murphy? not enough covers?

YourLilAssassin
#8re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:51pm

Please, lets not get started on the rumor again. It was ridiculous and uncalled for. Also, let me add that people in the inner circle DO read these boards once in a while, and when such irresponsible thoughts are posted, it can get back to them. So lets just leave it at that Murphy will be welcomed back on Tuesday.

Yankeefan007
#9re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 6:53pm

Someone posted last night that the reason why Murphy was out was that her husband had a stroke. It was automatically believed to be true, as it was posted both here and ATC, despite a lack of confirmation. Obviously, it proved untrue.

Judy Blazer has been out since Friday. Donna Murphy has also taken ill.

There are 3 female ensemble roles - Blazer, Ann Morrison (who also covers Murphy), and Rachel Ulanet. The show employs 1 female cover (Jessica Wright), for all the ensemble roles. With Blazer gone, Wright covered that role. With Murphy gone, Morrison had to cover Lenya, leaving only Ulanet in her original track.

The performance was cancelled last night because Morrison had to rehearse Act II as Lenya (she didn't have adequate rehearsal time prior) and the creatives had to restage the show for two, rather than 3, of "Brecht's women."

By the way, I've heard that the audience this afternoon was wild about Morrison's Lenya.
Updated On: 5/13/07 at 06:53 PM

BSoBW2
#10re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:21pm

I quite want to see Morrison as Lenya.

iluvtheatertrash
#11re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:31am

This is in no way meant to put down the brilliant Donna Murphy, but--

-- sick or not, her last show received a terrible attendance record from her. SOOOO... why such a lack of covers for her new one?

I know MTC doesn't have a helluva lot of money and all, but this seems strange and slightly dimwiitted.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#12re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:42am

So, full OBC will be on-hand for the Wednesday matinee then?

C is for Company
#13re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:51am

I don't mean anything against Murphy, but wow what I would give to see Morrison go on. I would prefer to wind up seeing the show with her understudied.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#14re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:56am

According to all reports, Judy Blazer and Donna Murphy will both be back and ready to go on Tuesday.
Reviews for Morrison are apparently glorious, the role was written for her after all. Donna Murphy is my favorite Broadway actress and she's the reason I'm seeing the show, but I believe Morrison is probably just as good.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#15re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:28am

Wait, the show was written for her? I had an opportunity to see this today but opted out so that I could see Murphy in the role. After all, if she's going to be nominated for a Tony I wanna see her.

C is for Company
#16re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:30am

Really Ray? Did Murphy climb aboard and take it away or were they looking to snatch her up for the show?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#17re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:52am

nteresting note.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:20am

Well, from what I've read, when Hal Prince conceived the show, the first person he called up to play Lenya was Morrison--they had already worked together in MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG. She played the role in both workshops, but when it came time for the show to be produced on Broadway, the producers needed a name headlining the show so that's when Prince called Murphy up. He still asked Morrison to be in the ensemble and be Murphy's stand-by. From what I understand Morrison and Murphy are friends so there's no need to start rivalry rumors or anything.
However, Uhry and Prince developed the show with the intentions of taking Morrison and Cerveris to Broadway so perhaps the role wasn't written FOR Morrison but it was written with her in mind.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#19re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:10am

There's a rave review for Morrison on the ATC board.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#20re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 7:39am

Does anyone know when the Tony nominations are/were decided upon? I don't want this to effect any nods for the show. I'd like to see them get as many nominations as possible. Well, they're announced tomorrow. I guess we'll find out then.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

hellzapoppin2000 Profile Photo
hellzapoppin2000
#21re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 7:53am

Lets see David Pittu as Lenya. He is just great! And sexy!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#22re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 8:53am

Shocker Murphy is out

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Rotel1026
#23re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 9:14am

Shocker, someone making a disparaging remark about Murphy's attendance.

Jazzysuite82
#24re: Murphy out of LoveMusik through May 15th
Posted: 5/14/07 at 10:26am

It's not entirely accurate that this show was written for Morrison. According to Hal when the piece was brought to him he immediate thought of Donna. Now maybe Alfred was thinking of Annie when conceiving it but apparantly it was always Donna's.

BTW Let's keep in mind that it's awards season before making comments about attendance. Updated On: 5/14/07 at 10:26 AM

Videos