pixeltracker

Is Legally Blonde "Blood in the Water?

Is Legally Blonde "Blood in the Water?

massofmen
#1Is Legally Blonde "Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:32am

No performance on the tony's. This is a big deal. One of the best "free press" engagements for a show on broadway. I think the show has appeal, but without this bump, and the bump for best musical nom, is this show, blood in the water?

congrats to mr. Borle. Completely deserved nomination.

sondhead
#2re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:41am

I'll be surprised if it lasts past September, shocked if past December.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it posted closing soon after the Tony's.

cooperross Profile Photo
cooperross
#2re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:45am

we can only hope.

-Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:46am

You are aware that Legally Blonde is in the top 5 show capacity-wise and the top 8 shows income-wise on Broadway right now, aren't you? I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon, reagardless of not having a Tony performance. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but I see it lasting until at least next year.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#4re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 9:53am

I think it's doing good business. And it should so well with the summer tourists. I'll bet it lasts.
Personally, I would rather see GG do super box office, but I actually think LB will outlive it.

....but the world goes 'round

Rotel1026
#5re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:01am

Since when was a Tony performance a way to guage a shows longevity? It's a show with an instantly recognizable name for most people. It's running in the 90's and the reviews didn't hurt it's attendance any. And you're forgetting the ratings for the Tonys are not that good either. They could easily try and book themselves on all the morning shows and assorted talk shows and get themselves just as much exposure if not more.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#6re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:07am

this show is doing just fine
i see it running for a couple years

but just because it didnt get a best musical nomination (which it wouldnt have won anyways) doesnt mean the show is gonna post a closing notice

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#7re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:12am

Nobody watches the Tony's anyway. It's much better to get a spot on the View.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#8re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:14am

Yeah, agreed. It's not a death knell that they didn't get the nomination, as far as tickets go. It's just not good.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#9re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:24am

It's got WEDDING SINGER fate written all over it.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#10re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:35am

I think it will do well until January. Then it will close. The Palace is too large for the show. Maybe if ticket prices were cheaper, the American Girl set could swing by. I feel bad for my friends at the Palace who haven't seen a real hit since Aida.

Speaking of which, Aida is a perfect example of a show that did not get a nomination for a Tony. At the very least Legally Blonde is a franchise.

jimnysf
#11re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:40am

No performance on the tony's. This is a big deal.

Well, it didn't seem to help "Wedding Singer" which was much worse than "Legally Blonde". The only good thing about "WS" was the opening number. The rest was a mess.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#12re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:48am

Like everyone is saying, Legally Blonde will run until at least the winter season on sheer title recognition. It's at 90% capacity right now and teen girls love it.

jimnysf
#13re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:50am

...teen girls love it.

Well, I'm not a teen or a girl and I enjoyed it! I didn't think I would, but I did.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#14re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:51am

I agree with Auggie. LB will get the Wedding Singer blues. I'll give it a year and that may be generous.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#15re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:51am

This show could easily run for a few years , its doing great business right now, better than Curtains, LoveMusik, Spring Awakening ,Grey Gardens etc.

To think the fact it isn't going to perform at the tonys is going to affect its box office is stupid, A lot of people who will watch LB are tourists and they wont watch the tonys(especialy if they are from a different country like me since we don't get it).

And its also just got 7 Nominations , a lot of them in Major Categories.

Well done Blonde

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:56am

Actually, the Tony performance did (temporarily) boost ticket sales for THE WEDDING SINGER. There was an article about it on playbill the day after the Tonys.

And, I can't believe Christian Borle was nominated. He's fine, but doesn't deserve a nomination.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 10:58am

Yeah it worked wonders for wedding singer(for what like a minute)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

munkustrap178
#18re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:05am

I didn't say it worked wonders, I said that it temporarily increased ticket sales.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#19re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:09am

Updated On: 5/15/07 at 11:09 AM

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#20re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:11am

Not saying that I loved Legally Blonde (but didn't hate it either), but people who seem to think that this will last a year: did you see all the same people at the show that I did. This show has got the Wicked Crowd whether you enjoyed the show or not. This show will have a very very healthy life, from what I saw. I think this one will live well past Grey Gardens and maybe even Spring Awakening.

And, last time I checked didn't this one break top 5 capacity in the theatre (repeatedly)....just throwing this out there.

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

munkustrap178
#21re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:14am

Triple Take: Wedding Singer Box Office Soars Post Tonys

#22re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:14am

I saw half a dozen people camped out on the sidewalk in front of the Palace, last Saturday morning about 8:00am. Shows like this will run awhile, as long as they keep providing cheap seats re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?

#23re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:16am

i enjoyed the show while i was watching it, but im shocked about the multiple nominations.

jimnysf
#24re: Is Legally Blonde 'Blood in the Water?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 11:22am

The Tony Award for "La Cage" as best revival didn't help that show. I don't think the Tony Awards matter to most audiences these days. No one watches the show anyway. An appearance on "Today" or "Good Morning America" will do more for ticket sales than performing on the Tony Awards.