pixeltracker

Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 4:53pm

According to a BBC article, Andrew Lloyd Webber is interested in Sarah Brightman's possibly reprising her role as Christine in his previously announced follow-up to The Phantom of the Opera.

The new Phantom musical (which Webber says he is 99.9% sure will be his next project) will follow ideas developed with Frederick Forsyth, who released a follow-up to the show in novel form with The Phantom of Manhattan in 1999. However, Webber says that the new musical will be "stand-alone" and not a sequel. "It's got to be the story 10 years on and it has got to be completely its own piece so that if you went to see it, and if you have never seen The Phantom of the Opera, you would follow it and get it."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=18709

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

neddyfrank2
#2re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 4:56pm

I wonder if she would do it, I kind of think she would.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 4:58pm

I don't know if she is going to take a break from her successful recording career to do theatre, but I certainly hope she does.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#3re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 4:58pm

Wow. Now there's a great idea. She would just sell millions of tickets

Not.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#4re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 4:59pm

Would they try and get Crawford back for the Phantom? They can't get Steve Barton back for Raoul...he's dead.

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#5re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

oops double post

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller
Updated On: 5/26/07 at 04:59 PM

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#6re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up

Why put out a statement saying you 'want' someone?

If that person doesn't want the role, then they just look silly.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#7re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 5:15pm

Does he want her just because she is the original Christine?

or

Does he want her because of the person she has become now?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#8re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:05pm

Am I the only one who doesn't like Sarah Brightman? I may be attacked for this...

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#9re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:22pm

I may have said this before, but I think this confirms it.

Andrew Lloyd Webber is out of his f*cking mind. He really thinks he can get Sarah Brightman for this ridiculous ego trip?

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

chino Profile Photo
chino
#10re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:30pm

Yikes. even though she still has the voice, I think she's too old for the role. But then again, yes, she'll sell tickets.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#11re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:31pm

Wow, I thought there was nothing about this project that could make me care less. But that shrill, sharp, buck toothed bat singing the lead again will make me want to stay away even more.

Miss.Vanessi
#12re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:31pm

Am I the only one who doesn't like Sarah Brightman? I may be attacked for this...

You are not alone. Personally, I can't stand her. Her arias make me want to shove sharpened pencils into my eardrums.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

#13re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:32pm

"Person she's become"? Who has she become? A mildly successful pop/cross over star largely because of Phantom?

broadwayguy2
#14re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:37pm

I know I am not alone in this. I have asked people and most agree, if not before I say, than after they hear it and think. Doesn't Sarah Brightman, particularly in the white dress from Phantom of the Opera, look like Tim Burton's Corpse Bride?

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#15re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:39pm

Oh Jesus. He's really fo' serious writing this show, isn't he? Que idiota.

Oddly enough, though I'm not a really Sarah Brightman fan I think she sings Christine beautifully (you should if a part is written for you) and she could actually get me to sit through something like this. But that's assuming this self-indulgent adventure in awfulness is happening. And right now I'm preferring to believe it isn't. (And I'm a Webber fan.)

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:47pm

Sarah Brightman annoys me to no end.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MerMaggieGalinda
#17re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:52pm

She wasn't great then and she won't be great now. She's a terrible actress, and although her voice is technically good, it annoys me greatly. Plus, isn't she like 45 years old now? The story may take place 10 years later, but she's still way to old for the part, and I agree, she does look like a corpse.

jg4892
#18re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:56pm

So now Christine will permantly be played by 40 year old women in this production? So much for ingenue...

broadwayguy2
#19re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 6:59pm

...and that would be different from most current Phantom casting HOW?

It's great when they have an actress under 35.. just rare. Very very rare

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#20re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 8:04pm

Oh dear. Must we hear that voice again? Once was enough.

MerMaggieGalinda
#21re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 8:16pm

Yeah, I never understood why most of the actresses who play Christine are actually closer in age to Mme. Giry. Seriously, there are plenty of talented sopranos under 30 that could play Christine, they just haven't been found yet, it seems they like sticking to the same crew of Christine actresses because they're too lazy to find newer, younger, better Christines'.

COOOOLkid
#22re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 9:56pm

Ick.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

jg4892
#23re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 9:59pm

Well will they be casting 65 year old women then?

broadwayguy2
#24re: Webber Wants Sarah Brightman for Upcoming Phantom Follow-Up
Posted: 5/26/07 at 10:02pm

They are - Brightman.

Videos