Posted: 6/6/07 at 6:27pm

What's that Forbidden Broadway song...?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#2re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 6:27pm

Cool! I love this show! And it was wonderful in London!
They're not going to try to bring back Ewan McGregor are they? He's doing Othello? Plus as much as I love him he wasn't as good as I thought he would be.
But he's still gorgeous. And Scottish.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#3re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 6:37pm

This makes me extremely happy.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 6:39pm

How many times will they revive this?

It is a classic but enough is enough. Let's revive other shows of the 50's & 60's that deserve it

Poster Emeritus

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:07pm

Sad that Krakowski will be busy with 30 ROCK, she was the reason I was hoping this production would transfer, oh well.
Wonder who will end up in the cast.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#6re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:10pm

yeah im so glad you guys are getting this production of Guys and Dolls , its so bloody good

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#7re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:13pm

Can't wait to see this again!

misschung
#8re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:17pm

interesting news.

Now I can't get that fugue out of my head...

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Tom148502
#9re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:23pm

Ray said "Sad that Krakowski will be busy with 30 ROCK, she was the reason I was hoping this production would transfer"

I'm sorry to say that I don't know which role Ray was hoping she would play. She doesn't seem right for either Sarah Brown or Adelaide. Major Cartwright, perhaps?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:25pm

Something tells me that Krakowski's "schedule" -- you know, the one that restricted her from participating in XANADU -- might just suddenly open up at the opportunity to reprise her Olivier Award winning performance in GUYS & DOLLS and probably pick up a second Tony along the way.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

neddyfrank2
#11re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:30pm

Regardless if she is doing the show or not this calls for another trip to New York.

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#12re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:32pm

Is there anyone who has seen both this London revival and the 1992 Broadway revival (Nathan Lane and Faith Prince) that could comment on any similarities/differences? I'm not suggesting that the two productions are comparable; I'm just wondering if anyone has observations and would care to comment. I'm not starting a new thread because this seems to be on subject... Thanks.

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza

ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:35pm

Tom, she actually played Miss Adelaide on the West End and won an Olivier award. There was a rumor back then that she would reprise the role if the show transferred but I guess with her TV work, she won't be able to do the show on Broadway.
Interestingly enough, Jenna Russell--who originated the role of Sarah Brown in the London revival--will be playing Dot in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE when GUYS & DOLLS opens.
Weren't they looking for a star to play Sky?

EDIT: I haven't seen the show but from interviews with Krakowski I do know that it's supposed to be "darker" and more sexual. In this production, it is very explicit that Miss Adelaide works at a strip club, apparently Krakowski's "Take Back Your Mink" was a sort of striptease (I'm guessing "A Bushel and a Peck" was as well). Also, Rob Ashford choreographed and Ewan McGregor said he didn't realize how much dancing would be in this production until they started rehearsals.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 6/6/07 at 07:35 PM

songanddanceman2
#14re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:37pm

i saw both but dont remember that much about the 1992 one

what i can remember is the sets etc were very cartoonish for the 92 one , very colorful and camp,
The new london production is a very dark production with not so much use of color (unless its used in a realistic way)

I have to say the new one is much better

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:38pm

Great news for one of my favorite Golden Age classics.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#16re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:39pm

Excuse me, Tom148... sorry to cut you off in mid-snyde remark, but Jane Krakowski won the Olivier Award for her performance of Adelaide in the London Production of "Guys and Dolls.". If you're gonna piss on someone's career, get the facts right.

BTW, I saw the production, which I really loved. It would be cool if they could get the guy who played Nicely Nicely - is it Martin Ellis? - to come over. His "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" was great (and it had GREAT choreography).

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#17re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:43pm

I'm almost positive Krakowski will reprise her role of Miss Adelaide for the Broadway production.

She's been going around town ever since she came back from London saying how optimistic she was about her getting to do the show again once it inevitably transfered, and with "30 Rock" shooting mostly days in New York, she'll easily be able to do both (something she also could have done for "Xandau" had she really wanted to take part in that show, which she didn't.)

They'll obviously try and get McGregor too, but while he's a question mark, I'd say Krakowski is almost a certainty.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#18re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:49pm

Im hoping for Krakowski. Any theatre choices?

ray-andallthatjazz86
#19re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:54pm

Is the St.James occupied after THE GRINCH? I haven't seen the production so I'm not sure what theatre would be the most appropriate.
Somethingwicked, your post makes me feel somewhat relieved. Since I found out Krakowski had been cast in the London production I have been wanting to see her as Miss Adelaide. I guess she'll be competing for a Tony against Jenna Russell, who also won an Olivier but for SUNDAY. This news make me quite excited, I'm looking forward to the revivals this season (save for GREASE).

Updated On: 6/6/07 at 07:54 PM

songanddanceman2
#20re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:56pm

she was fantastic as Miss Adelaide as was Samantha Janus

#21re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:57pm

WHy can't Krakowski do both? If Kathy Brier had the lead in Hairspray and a lead on One Life to Live at the same time (and that's a daily, hour long soap) or John Gallagher, etc--why can't a sitcom star that shoots in New York?

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#22re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 7:59pm

I can't wait!

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#23re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:00pm

I wasn't expecting this.

Yankeefan007
#24re: Guys and Dolls Revival Set for Feb. '08 Broadway Bow
Posted: 6/6/07 at 8:03pm

The 1992 production was Jerry Zaks at his finest (as opposed to Losing Louie and Caine Mutiny, which were his worst). It was a great, rejuvinated production of the 40 year old show, which, I believe for the first time, played on the cartoonish nature of "Runyonland." It was bright, it was cheery, and it led Faith Prince to a Tony.

The London production, as I've heard, takes the show much more seriously (a very English touch, of course; no offense, songanddanceman2).

Videos