pixeltracker

Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?

Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?

coolkid11776
#1Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/10/07 at 10:13pm

I read that JB is suspending student rush for the summer. I really want to see the show in Augest for my b-day but can't afford 300 preuimum seats so I was woundering if there was a way of getting decent regular priced seats. When is SR coming back? Are they still doing SRO?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/10/07 at 10:15pm

I hadn't heard it was temporary. From what I heard it was because of the scalpers, not because of summer.

I'd guess they have SRO still, but I don't know for sure. I wouldn't think scalpers could get a lot for standing room.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#2re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/10/07 at 10:21pm

If they are canceling rush because of scalpers, it seems like overkill to me. Why couldn't they simply ask for ID when you buy the ticket, write your name on the ticket, and require ID when you show up at the theatre?

I've done standing room and, other than missing a few visual parts which take place high up on a bridge, you see everything. And of course, you hear it all.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

coolkid11776
#3re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/10/07 at 10:44pm

BUMP

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

handsome25
#4re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/10/07 at 11:15pm

From telecharge.com:

Due to safety concerns on the student rush line, JERSEY BOYS student rush tickets will be suspended after June 24, 2007. For performances after June 24, we encourage students to consider our standing room option.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#5re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:41am

So does this mean they're not going to have rush at all?

Not good. Not good.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#6re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:29am

sucks for me, i cant do standing room.

worrell4077
#7re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:36pm

I have the feeling it's going to be temporary, but who knows.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:39pm

I'd think they should try going to a lottery format. At least then the scalpers have the same chance as everyone else.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

BroadwayFan4 Profile Photo
BroadwayFan4
#9re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:17pm

Thats a damn shame. I'm glad I saw it early on.

The rush will return when sales dwindle. Shows where the box office swore there would NEVER be rush tickets:

Brooklyn
Magical Thinking
Lestat
Dracula

All had it by the end.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#10re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:22pm

"Due to safety concerns on the student rush line, JERSEY BOYS student rush tickets will be suspended after June 24, 2007."

Safety concerns???

Curtains07 Profile Photo
Curtains07
#11re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:25pm

BroadwayFan4, Brooklyn always offered rush seats (even during previews).

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#12re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:29pm

morosco...because of scalpers showing up early in the morning to wait in line for tickets, people who actually wanted to see the show for themselves started lining up earlier then the scalpers, sometimes arriving at 3 in the morning. I think the fact of having people stay there practically overnight was a saftey concern. It's a real shame...

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#13re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:33pm

I think "safety concerns" is just the official line they are giving. It's obvious the real reason is that they can't figure out a way to keep scalpers from getting their hands on the rush tickets, so the producers decided they might as well get the full price for those seats themselves instead of letting scalpers make money on them.

Especially in that part of Times Square, safety is not really an issue at any time of night.

Thesbijean
#14re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:47pm

They got rid of SR so they can sell those tickets at full price, c'mon guys, you're smarter than that...

usmma2010 Profile Photo
usmma2010
#15re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:24pm

one of those crazy people getting there at 3 am.....that sounds like me, but yes this is a crying shame

"and in the end the love you make is equal to the love you take"

Awakened192 Profile Photo
Awakened192
#16re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:54pm

If you're willing to pay full price and are local, the cancellation line is usually a pretty good bet - I've gotten in on 3 out of 3 attempts, and they're always great seats (often premium seats that don't sell at the high price so they release them a few minutes before curtain at regular orchestra price). Yes, you will be paying full price; yes, you will need to be there at least 2 hours before curtain; and yes, there is a chance you might not get in...but in my opinion, it's worth it.

"Truly, truly, truly, heaven must feel like this."

gottalovejerseyboys
#17re: Jersey Boy's Suspending Student Rush?
Posted: 6/12/07 at 12:14pm

If they are infact suspending SR because of scalpers, then that really sucks. There are so many ways that the theatre could avoid having scalpers buy those tickets. For example, they could actually check for student ID's at the door when someone presents a student rush ticket. Or, the box office could have students purchase their tickets in the morning/afternoon, have their tickets held at the box office, then at night, the student could pick up their tickets at the door on their way in. I could go on and on about the different ways they could fix this situation, but theres really no point because what I say won't change their minds. Its really unfortunate they have to suspend this; especially for those students who actually want to see the show and can't afford to purchase full price tickets. Oh well...good luck to those of you who rush these last few days!