pixeltracker

I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.

I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.

NathanLaneStalker
#2re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 7:48pm

HAHA!

Don't feel bad. Stuff like that has happend to us all at one time or another. re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#3re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 7:52pm

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!

make me one of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. HEHE

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#4re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 8:21pm

The avatar is by norn - he did a great one for the Encores! FOLLIES too.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#5re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 8:57pm

Well, I'll offer my story as consolation, I didn't know there was a Broadway cast recording until I'd already purchased the Off-Broadway cast. I'd go buy the Broadway one but unfortunately I'm not made of money.

Oh well. Somehow, I think I'll survive.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#6re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 9:02pm

Don't feel too bad. I have the London MY FAIR LADY, and after two years of liking it, I read in the THEATERMANIA guide that it is not as good as the Broadway. I didn't even know there was a different recording.
Broadway Blog: The Second Golden Age

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#7re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 11:19pm

OT I know, but I never did understand why there were different recordings for London and Bway My Fair Lady... this is possibly me showing my own ignorance here, but they sound very, very similar to me and the three key performances are the same.

As to the actual subject, I was definitely this confused trying to find it on iTunes last night, so I wouldn't feel that bad.

SweeneyPhanatic
#8re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/14/07 at 11:48pm

Don't feel bad. I didn't know that "Phantom" was actually a two-disc show until I had listened to the hilights disc for about five months. You'd think I would've seen that in all my web searches for show info...

Cleared a lot of things up for me. Like how those thirteen songs were connected in the show. Imagine me trying to put together the plot of a show I knew nothing about based on 1/3 of the music from the show...

-- SDG

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#9re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 7:49am

The cd you have will be a collectors item someday as it is no longer in print. So there's a little consolation.

BTW - I miss Better Fall Out Of Love. Really liked that tune.

....but the world goes 'round

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:21am

It's funny -- I still only have the Off-Broadway cast recording since back when it first came out -- and I went to see GREY GARDENS again this past Tuesday night, and on the subway on my way home I realized I was humming "Better Fall Out Of Love". It is a nice tune, and I'm glad it's on record. It just didn't fit well into this show.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#11re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:37am

you should get the Broadway Cast. i LOVE the song "Marry Well".

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#12re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 5:36pm

The Broadway cast album of MY FAIR LADY was recorded in mono and the London cast album was recorded in stereo. I believe that John Michael King, who sings the beautiful "On The Street Where You Live" on the OBCR is not on the OLCR. Also, Henry Higgins's ending phrase in the finale, "Marry Freddie, Hah!!!" is sung with more gusto on the OBCR than on the OLCR. Those are just 2 small differences, but they make me like the OBCR better.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 6/15/07 at 05:36 PM

#13re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 6:55pm

Don't feel bad.
It wasn't until about a year ago that I found out that Andrew Lloyd Webber did not write the music to Les Miserables.

wickedkiwi Profile Photo
wickedkiwi
#14re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/15/07 at 7:35pm

wait, being bouvier ISN'T in the OBCR??

i've been listening to the wrong album! F*CK!

Tenme por lo que soy, por lo que puedo ser, y si te importo hoy, tenme nena, o vete!

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#16re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/19/07 at 10:35am

I bought the Off Broadway recording before the show moved to Broadway, and frankly, I love the CD so much, it doesn't bother me that I don't have the OBCR. I loved the show so much anyway, and there are terrific songs on the CD that aren't in the show anymore. It doesn't bother me.

Dumb stories: I have practically worn out my Mamma Mia CD, and just saw the show for the fifth time. I saw it in London three years ago, and thought that was the recording I had. I discovered it's the Broadway. Sigh. I bought the CD for Mary Poppins in London the day after seeing the show for the first time. I was playing it in a CD player that I wound up returning to Target, and left the CD in there, so I had to order another one from Amazon. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

If you go on Amazon, you can generally buy these things at a discount from someone. I often order from Caiman in Florida, and have always been pleased by their service. If you wait long enough and there's a Virgin Megastore near you, they will discount the OBCR to $10. That's what I paid for Wicked in Chicago.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#17re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/19/07 at 11:35am

I didn't think there was a Broadway recording of Mamma Mia. We did buy the reissued CD/DVD for the 5 year anniversary.

As for Grey Gardens, I'm pretty sure I got the OffBroadway, despite trying to get the Broadway version. I looked on Amazon, and it says Broadway Cast, but the lineup and cover are the OffBroadway version.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#18re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/19/07 at 11:57am

re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.

This may be a slightly insensetive question but how did you NOT know that it was the off-broadway cast album as opposed to the broadway cast album? It clearly states so on the cover and in the booklet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000G75A9I/sr=8-1/qid=1182268614/ref=dp_image_0/104-1094445-0617529?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music&qid=1182268614&sr=8-1

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
Updated On: 6/19/07 at 11:57 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#19re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/19/07 at 12:36pm

Not insensitive. The pictures are different. But before the "green" cover (the real broadway cast) linkage workding used to say, I swear, "off broadway" despite what it said on the picture and the profile "gray" cover said "broadway". Now that I see the true broadway cast, it's time for another order!

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#20re: I feel like the most ignorant Broadway fan ever.
Posted: 6/19/07 at 1:22pm

I did something even more ignorant.

I bought an LP of "Promises, Promises" and took it home and put it on and it turned out to be a recording of interviews with people coming out of the theater opening night and at the cast party. The cover looks exactly the same, but with a little note in fairly small print on the cover that distinguishes it for the cast recording.

When the movie Rent came out my wife went out and bought what was labelled as the soundtrack. But, after complaining that it was missing songs we found out it was a 'highlight' CD and there was a 2-CD set just like the OBCR.