pixeltracker

"Wicked" and "The Color Purple" in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17

"Wicked" and "The Color Purple" in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#1"Wicked" and "The Color Purple" in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:06pm

Just got back from Chicago and thought I'd post my reviews:

"Wicked" Saturday night 6/16--Erin Mackey was out and understudy Kate Fahrner performed the role of Glinda.

Let me start by saying that I always welcome a return visit to "Wicked." It has been over a year since I've seen the show and let me say I was very happy with my return visit.

The last time I saw the show in Chicago was March of 2006 and though I enjoyed it, I found it somewhat lacking. Thankfully the current Chicago cast delivered an energetic and enjoyable performance.

I was very excited to see Dee Roscioli as Elphaba and she did not disappoint. Though Roscioli has not gotten the attention that some of the other Elphabas have, she is wonderful in the role. Though Roscioli can belt the big numbers with no problem, she also sounds wonderful when singing in her lower register. Much like Ana Gasteyer, I felt like Roscioli really developed an arc for the character which builds to an explosive "No Good Deed."

I was somewhat disappointed to find that Erin Mackey would be out, but I thoroughly enjoyed Kate Fahrner as Glinda. It seems as though many of the Glindas I've seen tend to play the part as if they were on speed. Fahrner goes for a much more realistic approach. She's perky, but not too much so. Like Roscioli, I felt she found the arc of the character.

I have to say that Roscioli and Fahrner may have delivered the best "For Good" that I've yet to hear. They begin the song in a very delicate way--it flows conversationally from the dialogue that proceeds it to a very moving climax.

I have seen Derrick Williams in the role of Fiyero several times and have always enjoyed his performance--until now. Maybe he was having an off night, but I felt he was average at best. I now he has played the role for quite some time now, so maybe its time for him to move on to something else.

I loved Barbara Robertson as Madame Morrible. I've never seen a Morrible that looked so glam in the costumes. Her portrayal was less comic and more reminiscent of the wicked queen in "Snow White." I thought she was wonderful.

Peter Kevoian was a jovial Wizard and handled what little he had to do with aplomb.

One of the highlights of the show was the ensemble. They were really working it at the performance I saw and offered able support for the leads.

As for the changes--some I liked and some I didn't. I missed the dance between Elphaba and the Wizard during "Wonderful," but enjoyed the brief exchange they added between Elphaba and Fiyero when he arrives at Shiz.

As far as I'm concerned, the Chicago company of "Wicked" is in great shape.

"The Color Purple" Sunday afternoon 6/17--I have to start this review on a negative note with audience behavior. Patrons continued to arrive for up to thirty minutes after curtain! This was very disruptive to my enjoyment of the first act. I complained to an usher and was told that this has been a problem with this show. He said they have upwards of 150 patrons arriving late at every performance! Needless to say, I was not the first patron to complain about this.

Anyway, for the positive--the touring production of "The Color Purple" is every bit as entertaining as the production I saw on Broadway last summer!

Jeanette Bayardelle is a revelation as Celie! I saw LaChanze, but have to say I enjoyed Bayardelle every bit as much if not more. Her vocal prowess is amazing, but she also has the acting chops for the role too. Her "I'm Here" brought me to tears!

I enjoyed Michelle Williams as Shug, though I liked Elisabeth Withers-Mendes much more in the role. Though Williams seems too young for the role, I found her more convincing as the older Shug. Her delivery of the title number was very moving.

As for Felicia P. Fields, she owns the role of Sophia. Her acting was spot-on and her vocals were awesome! Her "Hell No!" stole the show, as it should, and she parterned well with Stu James as Harpo on "Any Little Thing."

Rufus Bonds Jr. was outstanding as Mister and his "Celie's Curse" was a highlight of the second act.

Though I know there was talk of "The Color Purple" sitting down in Chicgao like "Wicked," based on the attendance at the Sunday afternoon matinee I can't believe that will happen--at least half the balcony was empty. I hope the tour has a long life on the road!

Updated On: 6/18/07 at 08:06 PM

Act0r721 Profile Photo
Act0r721
#2re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:20pm

Glad you enjoyed your Chicago visit! I will have to see if I can score some cheap tickets for "The Color Purple" before it leaves then. I read the most glowing review in the Tribune and I loved the show when I saw it in NYC last summer.

Was the late audience a problem in NYC, too? When I saw it, there was this large group of 40 or so adult black women that all came in late. I walk past the theater on my way home from work and there always seems to be a bunch of people getting onto a bus across from the theater. It seems to be a show that attracts big group field trips, so if the bus is late or something. . . They'll all file in late. That is really annoying, though. Sorry you had to deal with that.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#2re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 8:29pm

ActOr721--
When I saw "The Color Purple" in NYC last summer I don't remember late arrivals being such a problem.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#3re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 9:38pm

When I saw it a few weeks ago (NYC), there were SEVERAL tour groups that came in late. As much as 40 minutes late. Between them fussing and the ushers insisting everyone be in the seat on their ticket when they had entire rows, it was HIGHLY distracting.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 9:54pm

Its a BIG problem at "TCP", and its a shame... when I saw the show Sat afternoon, one of the women seated in front of me, decided to go outside during intermission for snacks.

She came back with bottles of Snapple and bags of chips and
M & M's- Needless to say, the entire second act, all I heard were the bags crackling and bottles being opened.

I had to try so hard to tune it out !!!

RentBoy86
#5re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 10:14pm

Maybe they were on BP time?

Also, I thought LaToya London was in this show, is she not? What happened to that?

Fosse76
#6re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/18/07 at 11:11pm

"Though I know there was talk of "The Color Purple" sitting down in Chicgao like "Wicked," based on the attendance at the Sunday afternoon matinee I can't believe that will happen--at least half the balcony was empty. I hope the tour has a long life on the road!"

It was confirmed before the show's official Chicago opening that it would not extend...Hence Phantom being booked into the theatre. And to answer another question, yes, late seating is a huge problem in New York as well.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#7re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 4:01pm

excuse me but what does the mention of adult "black" women have to do with anything? if these patrons were white women would you have written adult "white" women? no. you would have written women period and you know it. check yourself.

#8re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 4:06pm

excuse me but what does the mention of adult women have to do with anything? if these patrons were "men" would you have written adult men? no. you would have written 40 period and you know it. check yourself.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#9re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 4:07pm

But, what if they were black?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

RentBoy86
#10re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 4:19pm

People get so offended by the stupidest things. I think it's common knowledge that there is a running joke about people of the "African-American" race being late to everything. People at my college joke about it. I was in gospel choir here, and the class was scheduled to start at 7:00Pm but we never even had everyone there until 7:45pm. It worked out for me though, cause I'm always late.

TheatreDiva90016
#11re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 5:05pm

I think there’s always going to be a problem when you get any group together, especially if they are all of the same ethnic origins. I was Stage Managing an Armenian play and EVERY night the audience members would show up late and wander across the stage. I had an Armenian House Manager who would NOT stay at her post. She kept wandering off and talking to friends. I think maybe it’s just because they are out with friends and lose track of time.

Last summer, we got a call before a matinee asking us to hold the show because a small group of folks had a minor accident before their dinner, so they were still eating, and wanted us to hold the show until they got there. I was all, “Excuse me, but no one forced them to go to dinner AFTER the accident and BEFORE the show.”

Groups tend to think they are special.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

RentBoy86
#12re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:15pm

True dat. But when you're trying to please a large group of people, it's usually better just to go with the majority.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#13re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 9:48am

HERE'S THE DEAL: would u have mentioned and specified the group as WHITE in putting that statement across if in fact they were? (and thats not rhetorical question, answer it please. just be mindful.
This type of thing happens in the news every day with ALL people of color. question is how relevant is this in putting your point across? Updated On: 6/20/07 at 09:48 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 9:53am

Where is the statement?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#15re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 9:59am

Here is the post from actor721: "Was the late audience a problem in NYC, too? When I saw it, there was this large group of 40 or so adult black women that all came in late".

what does the relevance of "black women" have to do with this point. these were patrons that were late. period. again this begs the question: if these people looked JUST LIKE YOU would you have specified their race?

Updated On: 6/20/07 at 09:59 AM

Act0r721 Profile Photo
Act0r721
#16re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 10:09am

If they were all gay, just like me, I would have said that. Does that make me a homophobe?

I don't think you can yell at me for a fact. I maybe would not say white women (although, I still may) because if I don't, I assume you already knew.

"what does the relevance of 'black women' have to do with this point. these were patrons that were late. period."

Is it completely irrelevant? Or would most people agree that the only time you see large groups of people coming late to "The Color Purple," it tends to be a black crowd? I don't think there's anything racist about stating that. I am not saying "all the beautiful Aryan's were seated by the time the orchestra started to play, but then those nasty ass coloreds came in with their god damn FRIED CHICKEN when Act I was already half over!!"

You're being too sensitive and I don't play the whole politcally correct game to that extent.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#17re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 10:34am

1st off i didnt mention the word racist one single time. inetersting how YOU attatched that label to this exchange.

secondly, the patrons were late to your viewing of TCP and that was the point that you wanted to put across as well as the original poster. why you needed to interject race is beyond me because the board certainly would have gotten your point without that.

again: WHITE would not have been mentioned by you as you said yourself. racist? i never said that. needed? appropriate?called for? well you decide.
would you make a statement like that anywhere anytime in front of anyone or just in shadows of an annonymous message board? somehow i doubt it.
THAT's truly embodying your "i dont play the whole politically correct game to that extent" comment.

Updated On: 6/20/07 at 10:34 AM

Act0r721 Profile Photo
Act0r721
#18re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 10:51am

My original comment or the other one I just added? I would say the first to anyone and I would use the second as an argument in front of anyone, except for at work.

Why else would you be yelling at me for stating that they were black if not to accuse me of racism? Your point just completely does not make sense to me. Would you be yelling at me if I said they were all red heads?

"WHAT DOES THE COLOR OF THEIR HAIR HAVE TO DO WITH IT?!?!" Maybe nothing, but it's a fact and a distinguishing characteristic, so I said it.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#19re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 10:57am

nope wrong. but again its funny how you are interjecting and asscociating your own words with racicsm.
If what you said didnt even register on the racicsm radar to you, then you wouldnt even make that assumption or adopt the notion that i was implying you were.
In fact perhaps YOU think what you said had tones of racism since you keep bringing the word into play. i said APPROPRIATE, NEEDED, CALLED FOR but u assume racism. you are choosing this word not me. interesting. believe it or not racial issuescan be discussed withiut notiion of racism being involved.

so i am to understand that you would make that comment (the 1st one) with black people in tow to hear. um, alrighty then.

Updated On: 6/20/07 at 10:57 AM

TheatreDiva90016
#20re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 11:25am

Geez Ozone,

I've never seen someone spend so much time accusing someone else of racism but yet, refuse to say the word.

Seems to me, someone has a big stick in their butt, and it doesn't look 'white'.

ozone20 Profile Photo
ozone20
#21re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 11:28am

predictable and typical repsonse when it sticks.

Updated On: 6/20/07 at 11:28 AM

Virgo
#22re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 11:53am

The phrase "Adult Black Women" is redundant. When you're a WOMAN that usually means you are also an adult. I don't know too many "adult black girls".

Personally, I'm not offended by it but because of the redundancy of the entire sentence it looks like it was written to offend a group of people or make them look as bad as possible.

"Black Women" or simply "woman" would have been enough. We don't need to drive it in the ground be by redundant as well.

I mean that's as silly as saying "I saw a group of Adult White Men headed to their trailer park after their drunken bar fight ended".

I just hate stereotypes, don't you.

Updated On: 6/20/07 at 11:53 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#23re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 12:02pm

YAY!! VIRGO MADE A POST WITHOUT MENTIONING... WITHOUT MENTIONING... UHNHH YOU KNOW WHO!!

Virgo
#24re: 'Wicked' and 'The Color Purple' in Chicago 6/16 and 6/17
Posted: 6/20/07 at 12:19pm

and yet ljay you're still at my a$$. I think it is YOU who are obsess with "you know who" otherwise you wouldn't let it bother you one bit. You'd just skip the postings and move on instead of getting your blood pressure up for no reason at all.

I've made several postings here without mentioning "you know who", you just don't see them because many times they aren't in topics that you'd stalk. Trust me, if I were in a topic that discussed "you know who" I would be talking about "you know who".