Music & Lyrics: The Musical

Yankeefan007
#1Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 9:56pm

Of every movie I've seen that's recently been musicalized, this charmer with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore is the only one that screams "Broadway musical."

Perhaps as a vehicle for Hugh Jackman.

Perhaps I'll option it.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 9:58pm

Of course, "Wedding Singer" also screamed "Broadway musical" and look how that turned out. I did think "Music and Lyrics" was a pretty cute movie though. However, Drew Barrymore's singing left something to be desired.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#2re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 10:00pm

I really didn't think much of the movie... a lot would have to change if it were to be musicalized. Hugh Jackman could definitely make it work (that's true for Hugh and a lot of other things though...)

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#3re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 10:04pm

i am sitting through it right now. It could actually tie up some loose ends that the movie has. But i wouldn't go to see it.

MerMaggieGalinda
#4re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 10:14pm

Out of all the movie musicals out there, Music and Lyrics makes the most sense. And I could totally see Hugh Jackman in it! And I actually liked most of the music from the movie, especially Way Back Into Love, even if it was pretty cheesy. But It would be hilarious to see Budha's Delight played out on stage.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#5re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 10:52pm

Its a very flat film what got below average reviews and performed poorly at the box office.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

shesamarshmallow
#6re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:05pm

It's a really horrible film, but wouldn't a musical version of this just be like "Once"? Which is infinitely better.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Julian2
#7re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/22/07 at 11:08pm

I actually really liked this movie, and doubly appriciated it as a songwriter. I think it has musical potential (as everything does) as long as they don't dumb it down.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 6/23/07 at 11:08 PM

SporkGoddess
#8re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:29am

Katurian2: Unlike TWS, Music and Lyrics has a mostly original score, though.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

hl2588
#9re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:10am

'Its a very flat film what got below average reviews and performed poorly at the box office.'

you may be right about its mediocre box office but it actually, according to rottentomatoes.com got about 64% positive reviews including high marks from the NY Times, Richard Roeper, LA Times, Hollywood Reporter, Variety, USA Today, Entertainment Weekly etc..

i myself enjoyed the film and see its potential as a musical. it could definitely work especially in a broadway world where the wedding singer, which had pretty good source material, fails and something as campy as Xanadu actually works... who knows

i am still waiting for the first wives club...

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#10re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:51pm

"However, Drew Barrymore's singing left something to be desired."

Not really getting your point. She wasn't a singer. She wasn't hired to be a singer. He used her in an emergency and she adequate enough to get the gig. It was exactly as good as anyone in that situation would hope it would be, and that was what the plot was. He wasn't looking for a new Streisand.

Night707 Profile Photo
Night707
#11re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:57pm

If it were to be made into a musical, I think Matthew Morrison could definently play the lead.

:D

Julian2
#12re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:23pm

Right, because Matthew Morrison just screams "over the hill d-list 80's pop star".

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#13re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:40pm

No offense, but . . . yuck! The movie was okay, but I won't remember it in, like, five months. :)
Broadway Blog: If They Could See You Now (the understudy debate)

MerMaggieGalinda
#14re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:43pm

Matthew Morrison was actually in the movie as Cora Corman's manager.
Updated On: 6/23/07 at 02:43 PM

Coolness_
#15re: Music & Lyrics: The Musical
Posted: 6/23/07 at 7:00pm

The movie wasn't that good. The cast was the only thing that made it "ok".

Videos