pixeltracker

From "Maggie" to "Janet": How Will Mara Davi Do It?

From "Maggie" to "Janet": How Will Mara Davi Do It?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1From "Maggie" to "Janet": How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:30pm

Hello. As Mara Davi is slated to begin as "Janet Van De Graff" on July 31st, what is involved in the whole transitioning process? I am in awe of her, going from one show to another, with barely time to catch her breath. Since the time between the ending of her role in "A Chorus Line" and the beginning of her run with "Drowsy" is fairly short, what does she do in the interim to prepare for her new role? Inquiring minds want to know. from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

#2re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:36pm

Off-topic but, is it necessary to sign your posts: "from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic" all the time? I think we know who you are by now. And, unless there was a ceremony, nothing makes you the "official" Patti LuPone FANatic.

Not to be rude.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:48pm

Two words: my choice. Now, on to the topic at hand. from Roman in Austin, Texas... "THE OFFICIAL PATTI LUPONE FANATIC"...
: )

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:57pm

I once asked Miss Patti LuPone if I could use the nickname Patti LuPone FANatic and sought her "blessing". In a July 23, 2003 email, she replied: "You do have my blessing." I don't fancy myself the #1 Patti LuPone fan.... There are many others who have followed her career over the years and who know so much about her than I do. Now, having said that... I'm famished and need to go to lunch. Have a nice day. from Roman in Austin, Texas.. t.o.p.l.f. : )

MungoGypsy8232
#4re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:16pm

I find this annoying.

In response to your question, Mara is an amazing actress and the role of Janet is lead, but like a featured-lead if that makes sense since I kinda view this as an ensemble show. Actresses have had less time to rehearse much harder leads, such as Julia Murney for Wicked being an example (I believe).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#5re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:39pm

thanks for your response. I was curious about the process. I wasn't questioning Mara Davi's abilities. She'll be great. from Roman in Austin, Texas.. t.o. Patti LuPone FANatic

mustard
#6re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:31am

Well.

She likely has the script and the music in her hands already and has already memorized them.

Search Google, she has an interview in a Colorado newspaper where she says she is hoping to get at least a week or two of rehearsal.

It's not TOO hard to drop into a show within a week, although it is a little disconcerting. She'll be fine.
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 08:31 AM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#7re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/30/07 at 10:51pm

Bump! Anyone go see her tonight?

EDIT: My bad, today's Monday. Anyone going tomorrow?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 7/30/07 at 10:51 PM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:03am

I'm planning on going Wednesday. I'll post a review here then if nobody else goes tomorrow.

TapTapTapioca
#9re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:08am

Merle Dandridge was in Tarzan on June 8th and Rent on June 9th. Performers do it all the time. from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

Thesbijean
#10re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:09am

While it is harder for actors to transition from show to show, there is set way replacements are put into the show.

I heard that Mara's had 4 weeks of put in rehearsal, which is around standard, especially since she was in another show. She basically had to schedule (with the stage managers I would imagine of both shows) ways for her to make any required Chorus Line Rehearsals while having her out in rehearsals for Drowsy. I would imagine she had 3 weekdays a week of put in for Drowsy plus possibly one on the weekends (sometime before her ACL matinees).
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 12:09 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#11re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:18am

I'm sorry. Am I the only person who didn't notice that it is actually Mara sitting atop the record in the new Drowsy ad campaign. I just thought it was some random girl made to look like an old-fashioned model. But if you look closely, it's Mara's face. I feel like such a failure as a supposed Mara fan.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#12re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 1:26am

I really had no idea that was her on the new posters, I think it's the hair. Anyway, I was working the bar at A Chorus Line in the mezzanine, so I saw all the dancers warming-up before the show, and Mara was doing a rope trick, which I'm assuming will be in Drowsy. So she's been rehearsing for a while, I'm, again, assuming.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

dancingthrulife04
#13re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 7:01am

Woah, I didn't realize it was her on the posters either.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#14re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:22am

Thesbijean, thanks for your detailed information on the transition process.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#15re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:12pm

People do this all the time she'll be fine.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#16re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 12:16pm

Thank you Thesbijean. I was curious about the process and you gave us the information that I was seeking when I posted this thread. from RC in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

MungoGypsy8232
#17re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:24pm

is anyone going tonight? if so, please review!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#18re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:26pm

"I'm sorry. Am I the only person who didn't notice that it is actually Mara sitting atop the record in the new Drowsy ad campaign. I just thought it was some random girl made to look like an old-fashioned model. But if you look closely, it's Mara's face. I feel like such a failure as a supposed Mara fan."

Whoa! Didn't realize that was her!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

dancingthrulife04
#19re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:43pm

bump again

dancnqn5 Profile Photo
dancnqn5
#20re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:48pm

Wow, I feel special since I actually noticed that it was Mara on the new adds :) But, she's been rehearsing for awhile now. That being said, she's probably exhausted, but I'm a firm believer that the girl can do anything. I can't wait to read the reviews.

dancingthrulife04
#21re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:52pm

I figured it was her... until I got a closer look at the ad and said it couldn't possibly be her. Oops.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#22re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:28pm

"I once asked Miss Patti LuPone if I could use the nickname Patti LuPone FANatic and sought her "blessing". In a July 23, 2003 email, she replied: "You do have my blessing."

Correct, did you add that she was calling the cops while replying the email?

Just kidding!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Patti LuPone FANatic
#23re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:09am

THWAP!!

TapTapTapioca
#24re: From 'Maggie' to 'Janet': How Will Mara Davi Do It?
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:19am

I looked at the picture up close and I still don't think it looks like her. from Roman in Austin, Texas... the official Patti LuPone FANatic

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

Videos