pixeltracker

Theatre Management/House Management

Theatre Management/House Management

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#1Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:31pm

asked on the student board but didnt get many answers in order to work as a theatre or house manager should someone major in theatre or would business or communication degree be better? I'm asking out of experience or just sheer knowledge thanks!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#2re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:34pm

Business/Communications. Theatre is more of an acting major.

I know it's not Theatre or House Management, but I've been speaking with Company Managers lately (as that's what I think I want to be), and they say to major in Business/Finance, but with a minor in theatre so that you have an idea of what's going on.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#2re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:35pm

Good question. Perhaps major in Theatre and minor in Business? Or vice versa?

Certainly major in Business for a Managing Director type position. That's the cool thing about theatre admin--it has jobs for people who majored in Finance, Marketing, Business, etc.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:36pm

popular elphie's answer is better.

popular_elphie
#4re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:42pm

jrb, your answer's good too! :)

The thing is, if you major in theatre, you have a good knowledge of things on more of a stage management/backstage side, while when you're in the house/theater/company management spectrum, you're not so much involved in makeup and lights and tape as much as payroll and producing and customer service.

But bottom line is, don't just do theater alone unless you have a yearning to be an actor. If you must have a lot of theater classes, a minor in business is good, but may not give you enough experience to be hired as a manager one day. You have to have a business mind.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/16/07 at 10:01pm

Find a school where you could double major in business AND theatre?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Up In Lost
#6re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 12:17am

Some schools offer Theatre Arts Management as a major.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

BSoBW2
#7re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 12:26am

Well, I work as a house manager and am a theatre major (for stage management). Some programs have a special theatre management program.

The fact is, it is a job anyone can do with the right business and communication training. A lot depends on what the house expects of the house manager. Do they expect you to help usher guests in and out of the theatre? Do you have to keep track of stock (merchandise and bar items)? Do you have to be first aid certified?

Some of the best practice is also to stage manage. As house manager, your go-to person is the stage manager. It is annoying when guests are trying to get in and the SM keeps the house closed. Vice versa, it is annoying when the HM can't give the SM the go ahead to start the show. An understanding of both sides will make it much easier to deal with the SM if you are managing the house.

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#8re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 3:18am

I was a part-time house manager for 7 years and have a degree in Public Relations. In college, everyone thought I was a theatre major since I was in the theatre building more than the journalism one. So it is possible to learn as you go. And in case you're wondering I majored in PR, minored in Poli Sci and I say I have a concentration in theatre management.

G_Schlozinski2
#9re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 3:58pm

box office positions are the domain of the theatre owners, except for the company manager, who works for the production company of a particular show that is running in the theatre. this individual keeps track of box office receipts for the production company, generally via a general manager's office. the house manager doesn't deal with money, but does deal with tickets, and does deal with the stage manager, but is not involved with anything that happens on stage, unless there's a fire or somebody dies... i'm not sure about the question of what happens when someone dies on stage -- is the stage manager still responsible for getting the body into the wings, or does it become the property manager's job? (only kidding - i am very sure about what happens when someone dies on stage -- the critics pan him).

in general, if you want to be an actor or a playwright, don't get into theatrical management - you'll just annoy everyone you work with. on the other hand, if you want to be a producer, it's a toss-up whether or not you have to study business management, per se. a producer will ALWAYS want to know the business end of the production, but as far as the nuts and bolts are concerned, this is usually the job of the general manager.

once again, everything you want to know about the theatre can be found in the screenplay of ALL ABOUT EVE:

"There are two types of theatrical
producers. One has a great many
wealthy friends who will risk a tax
deductible loss. This type is
interested in Art.

The other is one to whom each
production means potential ruin or
fortune. This type is out to make a
buck."

Updated On: 7/17/07 at 03:58 PM

popular_elphie
#10re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:07pm

ALL ABOUT EVE is the. best. movie.

Thesbijean
#11re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:12pm

The House Manager is employed by the theatre owner (Shubert, Jujamcyn, or Nederlander). They manage the theatre and oversee all the theatre staff (Ushers, Merchandise Sales, Door Man, Box Office Staff).

The Company Manager works for the General Manager, which is hired by the Producers of the show. The CM and GM manage the day to day operations of the show, oversee ALL financial aspects of the show, including payroll.

The House Manager and Company/General Manager do indeed work together, but their responsibilities are completely different. However, to work on Broadway as a House Manager, CM or GM, you have to be a member of ATPAM (Association of Theatrical Press Agents and Managers), which is also the union for Press Agents.

Hope this helps!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#12re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 4:49pm

but house managers do deal with the theatre staff payroll and other financial issues running the theatre.

G_Schlozinski2
#13re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 7:07pm

yes, jrb, that's correct. in general, though, they're not responsible for financial management, which is the province of other ATPAM-governed staff.

Thesbijean
#14re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 7:16pm

Yes, House Managers deal with the actual theater's payroll, but the money for that payroll comes from the General Manager/Producers, so, the House Managers really just deposit the checks and write new ones in terms of payroll.

AtLeastIveBeenThere Profile Photo
AtLeastIveBeenThere
#15re: Theatre Management/House Management
Posted: 7/17/07 at 7:27pm

There are a few schools that have an undergraduate major in Performing Arts Administration, which is specifically designed to educate students in managing and producing theatre. If I could go back in time, I would have gone to one of the universities that has such programs. It would be a good idea to Google that and look into it.

If youve already started and arent looking to transfer, then I would recommend attempting a double major in theatre and business, maybe marketing or development. Education in the performing art is a must if you want to get a Masters; there are more Masters programs than BA programs for Arts Administration, and those generally want to see your commitment to the arts more than to business or the communications industry. My guess would be this is because the business of live performing arts generally pays significantly less than any other business industry; they want to know youre in for the long, under-paid haul.

Right now I am looking for a job in Theatre Admin before I attend a Masters program in it, and the jobs I find most available are in Development, Marketing and Event planning, and the hiring theatre companies ALL want experience more than education, so if you can find a part-time job while attending school in any of those areas--even not related to theatre--youll have a good chance of getting a job after graduation and using that job to earn experience and network your way up to a management position.

Good luck!

Having just a vision's no solution.
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 07:27 PM

Videos