pixeltracker

What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??- Page 3

What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#50re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:30am

I think Nikki could have a nice film career if she doesn't get delusional. She has a height issue, not just a weight issue (by "issue," I mean in Hollywood's eyes).

As long as she keeps her head on her shoulders, and doesn't try to be the leading lady, I'm sure she'll get work. She's a natural in front of the camera and a winning screen personality.

But I would look to her predecessors Rikki Lake and Marissa to see what kind of path she'll be on.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#51re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:47am

I agree that college should be her next move, if she so chooses. As far as her future in the public eye...I see no need to worry. She'll have roles written for her, she'll have scripts plopped into her lap and she'll be able to pick and choose according to the way she wants her career to head. She's got a very bright future...and I can't wait to see what she decides to do next. I hope that she stays as humble and spirited as she seems now. I'm 31...and she's become a role model for *ME*.

Birdie Profile Photo
Birdie
#52re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:55am

I do agree that the young lady might want to consider diet and excercise. She's a great talent and she should have a long career ahead of her.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#53re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:44pm

Um, okay, so just because you're heavier doesn't mean your on your death bed. To dance and sing like Nikki did in the movie you have to be pretty healthy.
And that height and weight chart isn't really truthful. Doctors tell patients not to read those things anymore.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Kringas
#54re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:49pm

I'm all for being body-positive and whatnot, but I think it's foolish to act like being heavier does not pose a risk to one's health.

And generally doctors say not to be concerned with BMI if you have a lot of muscle mass. Blonsky does not.

Again, I have no issues with people being content at the size they are, but there does seem to be a sort of backlash about weight issues because of the impossibly thin standards set by Hollywood and the media. I think that's as dangerous as starving oneself.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#55re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:44am

"Well, if you don't like the way I look, I just don't give a damn, 'cause the world keeps spinning 'round and 'round . . ."
Broadway Blog: 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays

Kringas
#56re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:30pm

Yep, and it will continue spinning after heart disease, high blood pressue, diabetes, etc get the best of those who put their heads in the sand.

Again, I think a healthy attitude about one's body is wonderful. It just doesn't negate the fact that the attitude may be the only thing that's healthy.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#57re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:38pm

Kringas~ there is a difference between being heavy and being obese. Yes I am sure it is smart to be healthy but one does not have to be waif like to be accepted. You are blowing it WAY out of proportion (get it? Proportion?)

Anyway~ I think maybe Ricki Lake and Nikki Blonsky should do a tv show about a mother and a daughter who are normal, regular people... not the stick figures we call beautiful.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#57re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:38pm

Kringas~ there is a difference between being heavy and being obese. Yes I am sure it is smart to be healthy but one does not have to be waif like to be accepted. You are blowing it WAY out of proportion (get it? Proportion?)

Anyway~ I think maybe Ricki Lake and Nikki Blonsky should do a tv show about a mother and a daughter who are normal, regular people... not the stick figures we call beautiful.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Kringas
#59re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:48pm

I would agree to some degree. I don't think you should have to be a waif to be accepted, but like I was saying earlier, there seems to be a sort of backlash against rational thinking when it comes to weight issues. I don't think everyone needs to be a size two, but there's got to be some sort of in between. I also think people need to take personal responsibility.

Rikki Lake's dropped a bunch of weight over the years, for what it's worth. I don't think she's a twig, but she is what I would considered a "normal, regular" size.

I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life, so I don't mean to come off as smug or sanctimonious. I know it's a hot button issue, so I'm trying to tread lightly. I mean no disrespect to anyone here.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#60re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 12:57pm

well I am not picking on you personally.. I just get frustrated when people talk about being a certain weight or healthy. I am sure that 99% of all people know that being healthy is the way to be... but saying it and doing it are two different things.

But I think that we place way too much on tv and movies. I don't think that Hairspray was saying that it was "fabulous" being fat, I think that it was an extreme to state that it is okay whatever you size you are. Loving yourself is ALL that matters.

Kringas
#61re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 1:00pm

Well, it was a hell of a fun movie regardless, and I'd love to see Nikki have a long and fabulous career. I enjoyed her very much in the movie.

Updated On: 7/24/07 at 01:00 PM

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#62re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:41pm

"I do agree that the young lady might want to consider diet and excercise. She's a great talent and she should have a long career ahead of her."

Though I'm sure this was well intentioned, what makes you think she eats lots of junk food and doesn't exercise?

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#63re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:48pm

She actually lost 50 pounds before she got the role in Hairspray - and then had to gain all/most of it back.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

buffyactsing
#64re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:51pm

How do you know Nikki doesn't have a lot of muscle mass?

Taking a look at this picture, you'd think this girl was just some girl, much fatter than Nikki, must be lazy to be so big, right?

re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??

Not Quite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCXxhOKFn94

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

buffyactsing
#65re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 3:53pm

Oh Geeze, yes being very very heavy isn't a good thing for everyone. But that doesn't mean everyone or even a majority of your run of the mill fat people develop diabetes, heart disease, ect. A lot of the studies finding that fat people "die" are not taking weight and diet into mutually exclusive groups. There are many fat people that don't consider 5 doughnuts a breakfast and reaching for the remote their daily exercise.

Try reading this:

http://kateharding.net/but-dont-you-realize-fat-is-unhealthy/

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as cranky, but I've had horrible experiences with people trying to convince me that I was going to die because I was fat. And I almost believed it...

I just hope all this pressure doesn't drive her to an eating disorder. Being in the spotlight is 10X the pressure of the "real world" which is an abundance of pressure already.

I tend to find that most people advocating weight loss under the guise of health really are more concerned about appearances.

Updated On: 7/24/07 at 03:53 PM

Kringas
#66re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 4:16pm

Cardio is probably more important for a person of size and it doesn't look like that girl in the video (the pic didn't come up) does much of that, what with that giant jiggling midsection.

And I'm sorry, but that blog you posted is extremely defensive and more than a little bit deluded.

At the end of the day, people make their own choices. For a while, I was fine with the extra weight until one day I went to the doctor and find out my blood pressure and cholesterol were high. I decided after that I probably needed to rethink my own choices. Per hysterical blog person, I'm a statistical anomaly, I guess.

And any food can be detrimental if eaten in large quantities. It wasn't eating five doughnuts for breakfast that made me overweight. It was second and third helpings of food at meals, even balanced ones.

At the end of the day, people can say what they want, but personally, a girl of Nikki's size doesn't look normal or average.

I tend to find that most people advocating weight loss under the guise of health really are more concerned about appearances.

Not in my case. As I said, I was fine with my extra weight. It was my body that wasn't fine with it.

Updated On: 7/24/07 at 04:16 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#67re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 4:33pm

I think she should play the drive through girl in the new musical version of "American Beauty" and she'll get to sing the new song "Busted" and win a Tony.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#68re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 4:37pm

okay i just read back on some of the things flaunt it wrote and he needs to get a life...or stop eating the rice crispies with pee in it....

Linda Eder is talented and she is never off key (That is my girl and if you diss her them fighting words)

and forgive me if I am wrong but other then Evita, Patti has done LES MISERABLES (funny that show is STILL PLAYING), OLIVER!, SUNSET BOULEVARD, Anything Goes!, Sold out concert tours, a slew of Ravina concerts and now Gypsy... so I don't know where your head is but....

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#69re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 6:30pm

A new Movie and Album.

From Ben Lyons' Blog: The Lyons Den.

You heard it here first: Nikki Blonsky, star of the hit musical Hairspray, will be nominated for a Golden Globe this year (for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture—Musical or Comedy). Apparently, I'm the first person to go out on a limb with this one, but to be honest, I don't see it as a risky bet at all. She's that good in the film.

I had the chance to hang with the Lyons Den reader and Daily 10 watcher over frozen hot chocolates at New York's Serendipity, a famous ice cream parlor/coffee shop/tourist attraction/Ben-Lyons-in-the-sixth-grade date spot. We talked Globes and beyond—as in, what's next for a young breakout.

Nikki was so taken aback by my claim that she invited me, should I be right, to the Globes as her date! Now I'm really hoping she gets the nomination.

Then she told me about her next project, another movie that begins production right when she returns from promoting Hairspray. She couldn't give me too many details, but she did say she is not singing or dancing in the film.

She returns to singing, though, in an upcoming album she's planning to release sometime next year. At some point, she does want to do Broadway, as it has been a lifelong dream of hers.

So, a new movie, an album on the way and a future on Broadway. And to think that a year ago she was just an average teenager working at a Cold Stone in Great Neck, Long Island. Couldn't have happened to a nicer, more deserving person. Congrats, Nikki!

(btw, Can I just say I have a big Ben crush.)

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#70re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 6:43pm

Good Job, Nikki! Good Luck on Your Golden Globe! :)

fairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
#71re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 7:22pm

besides, to do hairspray you are put on a very demanding and specific diet and exercise regime so that you stay the size and body type that's correct for the role while being fit enough to do the dancing and carry out the physical, upbeat show. particularly on the stage.
i think its wrong to call her morbidly obese, as its obvious she's having no problems walking up the stairs. in fact, i'd be more worried about some of the sticks they parade on our screens now, who look as if their hearts would give out at the mention of a proper dance routine.

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#72re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 7:50pm

I think Nikki Blonsky is delightful and very talented and quite adorable but I have to agree that we're all deluding ourselves to think she's going to have any kind of lucrative career while being overweight unless Hollywood drastically changes their unrealistic ideas about women's bodies. She'll definitely work again, and I think she can carve out a nice little career, but she won't be able to achieve the fame of a thinner actress, not because she doesn't deserve it but because the world sucks. When you're fat, that's all the world sees and roles like Tracy Turnblad are few and far between.

buffyactsing
#73re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:48pm

Morbidly Obese is a medical term which has nothing directly to do with whether one can walk up or down the stairs.

Jon
#74re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/24/07 at 9:59pm

Even if the lost 75 pounds, she's still be under five feet tall, so the BEST she could hope for is a career like Chenoweth's - if she went blonds and her boobs stayed big after the wight loss, AND she could sing in an operatic soprano.

More likely, she could have the career of Alice Playten - a funny little woman with a big belty voice who plays character roles.