News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Retail: The Musical

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#1Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 6:55pm

So, I've been working in the retail industry for a few years, and I've been thinking that a musical about employees at a retail store has the possibility to be very funny. I don't know if this thought has been explored before or not, but as I said before I think it could be very funny.

I would take the task of writing this musical, but I don't have the experience necessary to do that. I thought of a good song title called "Do You Work Here?" Because at my current job at Kohl's I always get these stupid customers who ask me if I work there and I always want to say "no, I'm just wearing the name tag for my health." And there are so many little stupid things that people say or do, and I feel that you really have no idea how stupid people can get until you work in retail.

Anyways, tell me what you think.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 06:55 PM

nomdeplume
#2re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:25pm

You gotta work in a romance.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#2re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:34pm

Like I said, this is just an idea. I would not actually make it into a musical, because I don't have any experience doing that. I just thought it would be a great idea.

And I also figured that there are other things to write musicals about other than love stories. Because while finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with is a big part of life, there is so much more to life than that.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#3re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:21pm

I wrote a song about working at American Eagle, "Down in Clearance." The love affair was between the manager and the newbie who always gets stuck working Fitting Rooms WAY IN THE BACK, away from everyone else.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#4re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:27pm

I think the experience of working in retail lends itself well to the musical comedy genre

BDrischBDemented
#5re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:53pm

Retail lends itself uncannily well to musical comedy because it's such an aburd subject to begin with. In my retail musical, we would have a comic number called "Which Way to the Restroom?", because no one in Toys "R" Us can find the rest room, despite the big sign hanging from the ceiling and the arrows on the floor.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#6re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:23pm

I get the same question from people looking for Customer Service. One time I actually said "right over there by the big sign that says Customer Service." The customer didn't get mad though, thankfully, they just laughed at themselves.

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#7re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 5:40pm

I think that idea is so satirical and so completely absurd that it might just work! I would love to write this! Maybe it shouldn't have a real plot. It could just be series of songs strung together by little bits of dialogue. And maybe just a 1 act show.
If you want to write this, I think you should. The only way you're gonna get experience writing musicals is try write it.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#8re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 6:15pm

I wouldn't mind writing this, but I have no idea where to start. And writing the songs... I definitley don't know if I could do that.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#9re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 6:19pm

I mean, the only thing I have so far is the opening. It would be in a department store and the first number would be an upbeat number and in the song the associates would get their own little verses to sing about working in their specific department.

Stephen Martyak
#10re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 7:58pm

Hey guys...I just wanted to let you know that Retail: The Musical is already in progress. In May my composer and I held a workshop in Boston at the Calderwood Pavilion at the Boston Center for the Arts. Retail: The Musical is about the employees and customers of a premiere home furnishings store. The songs include "Welcome to the Store" (the show's opening chorus number), I Don't Care (the customer service rep's diva number), Dinero, and many others. We got great feedback and are in the process of getting the show more visability.

A show about a department store would be hilarious as well. It's amazing how many areas of retail we couldn't fit into the show. Good luck!!!

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#11re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 8:49pm

I've worked at Disney Store, Border's Express, Gymboree, Eckerd Drugs, Hollywood Video, and Warner Brother's store. I love the idea of making "Retail: The Musical". So much happens every single that would lend itself so well to a musical comedy.

A few song titles to consider:

"How Many Books do I Have to Buy to Get Your Number?"
"Can I have 14 bags for the 14 items I bought?"
"15 Minutes to Eat"
"Sensors, Sensors"

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#12re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 8:52pm

How about Starbucks: The Musical? I used to swear I was gonna write a book...

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#13re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:03pm

"Sensors, Sensors"

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

broadway_socialite Profile Photo
broadway_socialite
#14re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:13pm

my parents own retail stores, so I literally grew up in them. I always wanted to write a musical about it, too. There would be a big scary number sung by the gremins who work in the stock rooms...

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#15re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:21pm

I am well aquainted with the gremlins that live in the stock rooms. They think I don't know they're there but I do know.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#16re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:44pm

"How about Starbucks: The Musical? I used to swear I was gonna write a book..."

Ha, I can't believe you said that! I had the exact same idea a few days ago when I was at Starbucks! The opening number I came up with is called "So Completely Caffinated!" Then I thought of another song which a customer could sing, called "5 Frappuchinos of Every Flavor." That idea came from a story this girl I know told me about a customer who came into Starbucks while she was the only person making the drinks, and he ordered 20 frappuchinos, all different flavors, for everyone at his job. It was pretty hilarious.
Hm. I should really work on this more.

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#17re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/2/07 at 10:58pm

This is a WONDERFUL idea...after working at the Gap for many years...I have TONS of stories!!!

Romance with a co-worker....and sometimes sneaking ino a fitting room...

Folding jeans by myself while everyone else gets to hang out at the cashwrap...

Folding clothes, asking customers if they need help & of course they say no. Then they grab the shirt at the bottom of the pile & make a mess of my hard work!!!

BLACK FRIDAY!!!!

Question: "Would you like your receipt in the bag or with you?" Answer: "Yes"

Penn State Forever!!!!

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#18re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:42am

A musical called Retail! The musical played last summer at the Chicago Comedy Co. theatre in the chicago area. I know because i wrote the libretto. Very similar to what you're talking about.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#19re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:45am

I didn't hear about that!! If I had known I would have gone to see it. Is it going to be performed again any time soon?

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#20re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:46am

There is Shopping: The Musical in San Francisco.

TapTapTapioca
#21re: Retail: The Musical
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:53am

Antonijan- I am lonely for your wall. Can you post it?

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

Videos