pixeltracker

Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE

Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE

Yankeefan007
#1Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:23pm

From Broadway.Com's Q&A with Max Crumm:

"How do you think your version of Grease is different from the way we're used to seeing it?
Mainly it's different because it's not campy. It's not making fun of itself. It's the first time, I think, professionally, that people have looked at the show and gone, "Why don't we focus on the story and make these people real people?" There's a story to be found there, if you play for the truth versus playing for the laugh. I think that's what our show does. We go for the truth. It gives Grease a good heart."

Believe me...I never figured I'd say that GREASE has a point. Buuuuut....

If I hadn't already seen the show, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd think "hmm, maybe there actually is a story within Grease. Maybe the characters can be played like real people."

Yeah...not only did they not seem like real people, but it didn't seem like they found a story, either. They may be playing it for truth, but it just doesn't work. Too bad.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=551297

Updated On: 8/6/07 at 02:23 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:31pm

Exactly. The show was created as a satire/homage to that era -- the late 50's (actually 1959-60). It was NEVER written nor meant to be taken as a serious play. Everyone in the play is basically a cliche' of a stereotype, which adds to the satire/homage tone of the musical.

You CAN'T interpret or imply 'reality' in something that was never written as such.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 2:36pm

It would have been one thing if there had been productions that had taken the show as truth. Or if the show had been written to be truthful. However, neither of those things are true. It is ment to be taken as a satire of that era.

I do get the feeling that marshall is trying to do whatever she can to change it so that it is not like the last revival. It is not working no matter how hard she tries.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#3re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:50pm

Characters? CHARACTERS? Those overblown, poorly written cartoons are being treated as CHARACTERS? That's laughable! It's even funnier because that certainly isn't evident in the performances the actors give, especially the two leads.

Boq101
#4re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:23pm

Grease taken seriously...?

That's like treating Parade as a comedy, or Ragtime as a minstrel show, it's like using a lion in Gypsy instead of a lamb.

chinto1984
#5re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 7:48pm

This is the story of Grease! If you want to be popular, cave into peer pressure. Now let's try to find the heart in that and entertain all of the preteens brought to this musical by their parents thinking its a great kids show.

Gothampc
#6re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:09pm

Have these people read the script or heard the songs?

Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee

Freddy My Love

Beauty School Dropout

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Ivan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
#7re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:33pm

What is wrong with that? The only thing that they should have done was cast Austin instead of Max. I think there are some very serious topics in Grease. Teenaged sex and smoking for one.

"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#8re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:38pm

Wow......you mean.....Grease actually HAS a point? lol
Ha, I just love how that Max kid is trying to make Grease sound so serious, like he thinks it's some theatrical masterpiece or something. It's Grease. It's not supposed to be serious!! It's supposed to be a satire!
And Grease doesn't have a "good heart," as Max says. Has he SEEN the end, where Sandy becomes slutty in order to make men like her? Yeah, great message. Such a great heart Grease has.

Yankeefan007
#9re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:43pm

Ivan, I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic.

Nothing in GREASE is treated seriously.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#10re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:44pm

Ivan is a sock puppet Yankee, don't take his comments seriously.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Ivan the Wonderful
#11re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:46pm

Um, no I am not. Wizard.
I know Grease is a comedy but it does have some serious things in it. Rizzo thinks she is going to have a baby.

"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#12re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:51pm

I would agree with you if there wasn't the whole Character arc of Rizzo in act 2. I think the whole premise of the show, while nostalgic, is more of teen-agers pretending to be what they think is "ADULT"-like. Like all teen-agers, they forget to consider the consequences, so that when Rizzo is confronted with a possible pregnancy, everyone leaves her (because they really are kids)and the musical gets its first real mature song:THERE ARE WORSE THINGS I COULD DO. I think that the most successful productions of GREASE come at the story from the angle that these are real kids who are posing as the Archetypes of their day: Doody the Rock Star singing to his adoring fans; Roger literally posing as the class clown, Marty as the "Grown-up"woman with the Marine boyfriend etc.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Yankeefan007
#13re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:53pm

Have you all actually read the script?

The show is NOT meant to be taken seriously!

broadwaybaby221
#14re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:56pm

Max totally missed the point of the show. I'm in a production right now and I know we're playing up the camp like you wouldn't believe. I don't think you could do a production of Grease seriously. It's just not one of those shows.

~Sara~

Ivan the Wonderful
#15re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE

Sombody on this board compared Grease to The Three Penny Opera. It can be taken different ways. Who is to say there is only one way to do it?

Ivan the Wonderful
#16re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE

Sombody on this board compared Grease to The Three Penny Opera. It can be taken different ways. Who is to say there is only one way to do it?

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#17re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE

I just finished my fourth professional production.

Yankeefan007
#18re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:58pm

Well excuse me.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#19re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:11pm

I am not trying to be snotty. It's just that I have done it where the camp has been the focus, and another where there was a real serious discussion of who these kids are. The original (off) broadway production had some pretty deep subtext-Doody's brother was killed in a Drunk Driving accident in which Sonny was the driver. That is the reason why there is the line "Your old lady dragged her carcass outta bed for ya?" . She is depressed because of the death of her son. That is also why everyone in the gang hangs out with him, even though he is much younger and arguably as much of a dork as Eugene is. There was a real history of the inter-relationships of the gang. Another example: Rizzo had dated Danny previously, but he broke it off because he thought of her more as a friend. That is why she calls Zuko a creep in the second scene. It is also why Rizzo is bitchy to Sandy at first.
The first time I performed the show it was directed by an original cast member, who still had his script from the 70's with all of his handwritten notes. Now I have to admit that a lot of this seemed like a load of crap at the time, but since the play (more-so than the movie) is very much a story of a group of kids rather than a star vehicle, having a consistent and cohesive subtext actually galvanized some scenes that usually are thought of as "fluff".
I think somewhere in between all-out camp (94 revival) and super heavy drama, is the best place from which to start when approaching any production of GREASE.

Yankeefan007
#20re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:18pm

Boy, that actually is very interesting. I'd love to see the original, original script, but I'm sure it's long gone by now.

Thing is, Grease has gone through so many changes over the years to clean it up that even the slightest shread of aforementioned subtext has been removed. All that's left is the Samuel French version which has absolutely no deep meaning, backstory, or anything that could even be assumed as such.

I give major credit to anyone who tries to play the piece (at least the licensed version) seriously, if it's done with, as you said, proper subtext. Kathleen Marshall's production (I don't know if you've seen it, Neverandy) comes off as a poorly thought out attempt at making an ensemble piece a star vehicle, complete with a "serious" subtext that is non-existent. The actors are playing roles with "deep meanings" that aren't there. It's like getting water out of a stone (and not even Sondheim could do that successfully).

And that was the point I was trying to make.
Updated On: 8/6/07 at 11:18 PM

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#21re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:24pm

You are right Yankee... I also negelcted to mention that the Sam french version has been really sanitized from the original. Frenh's line "better known as Barf on a Bun" was originally "Better known as SH!T on a Shingle" There are many others too numerous to mention, but you get the picture.
I also have to say that any revival of Grease strikes fear in my heart. I have little confidence that this one will be any more than 90 minutes of high energy singing and dancing with some fast paced dialogue in between.

Yankeefan007
#22re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:29pm

And then there's the "school version" that's licensed, cutting out Rizzo getting almost knocked up all together.

Oddly enough, I have the "sh!t on a shingle" version of the script. I also have the "barf on a bun" version. Haven't read the former yet, just recently acquired it.

By the way, this production runs about 2:15. I've seen versions (more than I'd like to admit) that run the gamut from 90 minutes to 2:30. I can't help but wonder what each production adds or cuts...

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#23re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:30pm

The movie took itself seriously and look at the crap that turned into and in turn has turned the show into. I say this in all honesty, Grease the movie ruined Grease the stage musical forever.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#24re: Proof that they've missed the point of GREASE
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:37pm

I agree that the stage version (done well) is superior to the movie.
Let the flaming begin...

Videos