PARISinNYC
#50re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/20/07 at 7:13pm

Make her look worse? What?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#51re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/20/07 at 7:52pm

The whole over analyzing every move she makes, type thing.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#52re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/20/07 at 8:48pm

Just got back from NYC. For filling such big shoes, Gerard really did a wonderful job. His singing was great, and he had a lot of excitement (or was really nervous?) I really enjoyed his performance, and I thought there was a lot of energy at Saturday evening's performance. He was having a good time. Ken, on the other hand, not my favorite, while Matt needs to have my children.

#53re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/20/07 at 9:38pm

When did Stephen's vacation start?

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#54re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/20/07 at 9:50pm

Very beginning of August.

Gerard was honestly as good as all the Guilty Ones are saying, coming from someone who likes the show, but doesn't absolutely love it. Updated On: 8/25/07 at 09:50 PM

Craww
#55re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/21/07 at 12:14am

I'm just curious if the same people who liked Gerard as Hanschen are the ones saying he was a great Moritz. Or if anyone concedes that he's a bad Hanschen but feels his talents were more suited to Moritz.

Mostly, I just stubbornly can't accept the overwhelmingly positive reviews. I must be biased.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#56re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/21/07 at 12:23am

Well, I'd say that out of all the roles Gerard has gone on for, his Hanschen is my least favorite. Thought I've never seen that...legally. I've seen his Moritz and Georg and found both to be absolutley amazing. His Georg is miles better than Skylar's is. So yes, I'd say that his Hanschen is just an overall weak spot for him.

SarahNYC Profile Photo
SarahNYC
#57re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:37am

After seeing how well Gerard did (and how well received his performance was) I hope there's a chance that he could be tapped to take over the role whenever Johnny G. Jr. goes off to make his next career step. I love Johnny and he's definitely made the role, but Gerard could handle it...

silversurfer2
#58re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 12:40pm

To SarahNYC : Gerard would love to take over the role, as a matter of fact, we did have a conversation about that subject. But he realizes that he was hired as a swing.And it is easier to find a performer to play Mortiz, then to train someone as a swing. However, word is out that Michael Mayer the director, was very impressed. So who knows what can or may happen. Either wasy, Gerard is a terrifc person and very talented and deserves whatever may come his way.

MerMaggieGalinda
#59re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 1:27pm

If Gallagher doesn't renew in November(I'm seeing the show over Christmas vacation) I wouldn't mind seeing Gerard with all the good things I've heard about him.

popular_elphie
#60re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 7:01pm

Gerard is on again today as Moritz. No one is quite sure where Gallagher is, but Gerard did a wonderful job.

jg4892
#61re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 7:05pm

Yeah, I have a feeling they will have a no swing taking over policy.

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#62re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 7:49pm

wait Gerard went on again? wasn't he supposed to alternate the role of Moritz with another actor when Gallagher is out? (I forgot specifically who the other actor is)

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

gymdudeva
#63re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:59pm

I think the other one is the guy that plays Otto (the..um...large one). I am too lazy to dig out my Playbills though.

They seem to alternate the understudies in the smaller roles, but maybe for the leads, it's different.

popular_elphie
#64re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:32pm

Brian Charles Johnson understudies Moritz as well.

They only alternate when it's a scheduled absence. I believe that whenever someone's out unexpectedly, they put on whomever's had the most experience.

touch_me_ Profile Photo
touch_me_
#65re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:38pm

I was there too! It was my first broadway show and I was on the stage next to Gidieon and Jon b. wright!!It was awesome! I loved Gerard and I'm totally obsessed with Matt Doyle now!
P.S.
I'm so confused as to which guys are gay and which aren't. Rob Cavaney, the older guy in the ensemble that performance, told me that Gideion "plays for the other team", but I'm really confused about Jonathan Groff and Matt.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#66re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:43pm

What was Matt on as today? Updated On: 8/22/07 at 09:43 PM

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#67re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:47pm

I completely forgot he was going on! I'm glad he did well.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#68re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:53pm

I saw Ken Marks as the Adult Men at the Actors Fund performance and he was absolutely horrendous. The scene between Moritz and his father, which, between Spinella and Gallagher, is one of the most chilling scenes in the show, was an absolute joke, and it completely threw off the main reasoning for why Moritz *spoiler* commits suicide. I agree that there are thousands of middle-aged actors in New York who could match Spinella's brilliance. What made them choose this guy, who looks and acts like Mr. Magoo?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#69re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:00pm

Rob Devnaney(adult men understudy who never went on) is leaving the show the same day as Gideon.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#70re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/23/07 at 3:11am

Saw the matinee today. I agree that Gerard was great, but I don't think he matched Jonathan Groff well. He looks much younger than Jonathan. Actually, Gerard looks the age he's supposed to be playing. I think he'd do really well if he were to take over the role once John Gallagher, Jr. leaves. But we'll see about that.

I didn't think Ken Marks was horrendous, but I sorely missed Stephen Spinella. He was a definite standout for me. Stephen's scene with John Gallagher is just brilliant. And his breakdown in "Left Behind" is yet to be matched. Is Stephen gone for good?

~Steven

gymdudeva
#71re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/23/07 at 3:43am

I'm so confused as to which guys are gay and which aren't.

Yes, Gideon is openly gay, as is Stephen Spinella. The guys are pretty young and still sort of finding themselves, so a lot of them are of unknown orientation and/or have not really come out yet. Skylar is of course dating Lauren, but who really knows. Gerard is straight I think (surprised me....I thought he was flirting with me once). Pretty sure J. Gallagher is straight. Another that you asked about is pretty obviously gay (duh) but is quiet about it. And I know yet antoher who is still sort of coming out.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#72re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/23/07 at 4:06am

It's not really our business to out anyone (although of course it's fun to gossip), but if any of them are confused or closeted, I'd think this show would help them along. Its message, after all, is about openness and truth. I hope they all find that, gay or straight.

~Steven

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#73re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/23/07 at 9:35am

Is Stephen gone for good?

God, I hope not. Does anyone know why he's taking over a month of vacation?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

MarkRascati
#74re: Gerard Canonico as Moritz
Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:10am

Does anyone know who played the adult man on friday the 17th of august?