pixeltracker

Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you

Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#1Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:37pm

What are some little moments in show tunes that are so hauntingly beautiful, or so catchy that they are burned into your mind forever?

For me, it's "Come to my garden..." from THE SECRET GARDEN. Hearing that little part of the song haunted me from the first time I heard it.

Also, "Practically Perfect" from MARY POPPINS would NOT get out of my head from the moment I first heard it.

Yours?

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#2re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:40pm

The part in Cabaret when it goes "The sun in the meadow.." JUST those 5 words.The first time I heard it I was a little little girl and it was so chilling to me.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

shiz_student94
#2re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:42pm

Ah, most definitley a lot of the Mary Poppins songs. I've seen the show twice (not my favorite, I only found it good), and both times I see it the songs will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day, night, or whatever! Those are the types of songs that will pop into your head and not go away. They drive me nuts! Especially Lets Go Fly A Kite.
Also, whenever someone mentions The Wedding Singer or something that reminds me of it, I always start humming, 'Right in front of your Eyes' which gets old when you have it stuck in your head and can't think of any other songs! Ahh I go nuts with music playing in my head all the time.

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

gypsiedtokill Profile Photo
gypsiedtokill
#3re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:49pm

Pretty much all of Make Them Hear You from Ragtime, but especially when he says, "When they hear you/I'll be near you again."
Also, the creepy laugh Michael Cerveris does during Epiphany in Sweeney. I have nightmares about that.

I can't talk now. I gotta go get my wallet out of the toaster.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#4re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 10:57pm

for the longest time I had the "he is dangerous!" part from JCS in my head...and would sing it while I walked around the mall :)

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#5re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:01pm

"Bali Hai" from South Pacific. The entire thing haunts me everytime....

#6re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:18pm

"I wanna be strong, I want the world to find out" from the Dark I Know Well in Spring Awakening.

COOOOLkid
#7re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:40pm

"Do you want to be told how my village was burned?
Want to hear how my parents were blasted away?
How I ran from the rice fields and saw them in flames?
How my parents were bodies whose faces were gone?"

from This Money's Yours in Miss Saigon

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Midoria Profile Photo
Midoria
#8re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:42pm

Anyways, since I was 12, I've loved the part in Phantom in the last scene when Christine sings: "This haunted face holds no horror for me now. It's in your soul that the true distortion lies..."

Oh, I also love this part of "Twisted Every Way", from Phantom:

Twisted every way,
what answer can I give?
Am I to risk my life,
to win the chance to live?
Can I betray the man
who once inspired my voice?
Do I become his prey?
Do I have any choice?

He kills without a thought,
he murders all that's good ...
I know I can't refuse
and yet, I wish I could ...
Oh God - if I agree,
what horrors wait for me
in this, the Phantom's opera ...?

I get goosebumps READING the damn thing.

My second favorite is in Bert's prolouge in Mary Poppins (the show). I also like the movie where Bert says:

Up where the smoke is all billowed and curled/Tween pavement and stars/Is the chimney sweep world
When there's hardly no day/Nor hardly no night
There's things half in shadow/And half way in light (love that line)
On the roof tops of London/Coo! What a sight!

Looooove it. Chills everytime! More so after I went to London!! LOL.

"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice
Updated On: 8/20/07 at 11:42 PM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#9re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:49pm

The scene in Sweeney Todd when Mrs. Lovett is looking for Toby under the bakehouse and does the reprise of "Not While I'm Around." It's just so ominous and creepy how she's trying to come off as sweet and charming so he'll stop hiding.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#10re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/20/07 at 11:58pm

The most haunting part of a musical for me is right after the Enchantment Passing Through reprise in Aida, when the (I believe its) the french horn takes over, I think its so beautiful and its always playing in my head.

Also in The Phantom of the Opera towards the end when Raoul sings "Don't Throw Your Life Away", that line is haunting to me.

NCSAcat Profile Photo
NCSAcat
#11re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/21/07 at 12:12am

"Secrets"

The number from "In My Life"

"Secrets
I heard a little rumor.
Someone's got a tumor!"

Craww
#12re: Memorable parts in show tunes that haunt you
Posted: 8/21/07 at 12:22am

"There are bridges you crossed you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed" from Thank Goodness is pure Country Music Melodrama. For some reason that's what this thread is making me think of.

Nothing legit.