Sagat in Chaperone

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#25re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:13pm

have they been advertising Sagat at all???? I haven't seen any posters, brochures, commercials or anything besides the online articles....People probably dont' even know he's in it.

Yankeefan007
#26re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:18pm

Large ad in the Times Square subway station, and they've decked out the entire box office with his huge picture. Remember where that wall-to-wall photo of Toledo Surprise was? That's all Saget now.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#27re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:26pm

^^^Could you post a picture for us Yankeefan? That must look funny though I liked those wacky pictures on the wall.

to wherever
#28re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/22/07 at 11:40pm

I noticed the ones in the Times Square station -- and also one in Shubert Alley.

I was at the box office while they were taking down stuff -- but they really replaced the big Toledo Surprise mural? Sad. I loved that one.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#29re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/23/07 at 1:57am

Yes, thank you for correcting me. The line was hilarious. I also didn't get the sense that the Chaperone was drowsy at all watching the understudy.

to wherever
#30re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:41am

I also didn't get the sense that the Chaperone was drowsy at all watching the understudy.

That makes three of us. The woman who was on as Drowsy on Sunday was actually in Friday night as Trix -- and she was great. She's also on the Lone Star Love recording, singing with Beth Leavel -- and she's great.

But I thought she was terrible as the Chaperone on Sunday. Normally, seeing an understudy doesn't bother me at all -- but I was so disappointed that Beth was out!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#31re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/23/07 at 9:51am

I saw that understudy too and didn't like her-she doesn't have Beth's charisma or character. She's just out of sync with the jokes, etc. And Beth and Danny Burstein have great chemistry. It's really quite amazing how well they work together. That scene in the bedroom is my favorite. It's hilarious. When I saw it once with the understudy, I vowed I wouldn't go back if she was there (now if there was a different understudy, I'd do it.)

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Yankeefan007
#32re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/24/07 at 6:59pm

re: Sagat in Chaperone

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#33re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 2:12am

Thank you Yankeefan. Now I get that tiny door in the photo shoot pictures we saw earlier. It's alright. I like the original one better. If only they read here more often! I would have been overjoyed if they used a shot with MIC,(this thought modified by BdwyEnth2), of Janet on one side of the armchair and Drowsy on the other. MIC, with a look of either utter happiness or nervous wreck, sitting up front trying to avoid them.

That would have been the toast of the Town. Ah, well. Yet another picture that doesn't sell the show. Maybe tourist will think it's about Gulliver and now bring the kids! (rolls eyes, underwhelmed)

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#34re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 6:34pm

these marketing people are idiots! no wonder the show is gonna close....like as if the public is so stupid we won't recognize saget with his costume on...ugh.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#35re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 7:08pm

What difference does it make what he's wearing? The ad is advertising Bob Saget as making his broadway debut. It's of Bob Saget not the Man in the Chair.

jake6970
#36re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 7:25pm

I saw an understudy for the chaperone in august 06....I think her name was Linda Griffiths. I was really underwhelmed. The role seemed incredibly...small, with her in it.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#37re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:14pm

I heard Linda wasn't too good (from a friend who has seen Chaperones: Beth, Linda and Stacia).

I've only seen Stacia, and clips of Beth, and really thought Stacia did a great job.

RyToast1
#38re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:24pm

re: Sagat in Chaperone

It's scary how big Bob Saget is compared to the people standing next to his picture. It's like...AHHH...Danny Tanner is coming to get you!

ETA: The picture is from Broadway.com Updated On: 10/25/07 at 08:24 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#39re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:36pm

"I saw an understudy for the chaperone in august 06....I think her name was Linda Griffiths. I was really underwhelmed. The role seemed incredibly...small, with her in it."

I saw her too.
And I completely agree.
I am still pissed, I didn't see Beth. =(

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 10/25/07 at 08:36 PM

to wherever
#40re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:19pm

Ugh, I'm still angry they put up that huge picture of Bob and took down the Toledo Surprise mural!

And, if you haven't seen Beth yet - go back and see her! She completely makes the show. Danny Burstein is also just one of the funniest people on Broadway.

Updated On: 10/25/07 at 10:19 PM

pab Profile Photo
pab
#41re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/26/07 at 1:05am

Saw the show tonight and was not sure what to expect. The show is in good shape and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of Bob Saget. He was no Bob Martin but he was much better than what I had expected. Beth Leavel was brilliant and Jay Douglas did a pretty good job as Aldolpho.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 10/26/07 at 01:05 AM

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#42re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/26/07 at 1:34am

I saw the Saturday evening performance. Bob Saget was good, still a little tongue-tied. No Bob Martin for sure, and some of the jokes about MIC's sexual orientation didn't really land because he does not camp it up like Martin did. Still, if you have not seen the show before, I'm sure you'll enjoy his performance. He seemed really at ease and happy to be there. I'm sure he'll get better in time.

Beth Leavel was on, but she was not in fine voice. She struggled with the last notes of 'As we stumble along". Her voice sounded hoarse and she could not hold the last note until the end but covered it well by doing some of her Beatrice Stockwell triumphant moves. Again, if you did not know the number by heart, you probably would not have noticed. She acted the hell out of the part as usual and the audience loved her. I had never seen Mara Davi and liked her very much. No Sutton, but good enough.

JoAnne Worley was funny and did OK but I expected her to milk some more laughs. The actor playing Underling was the only weak link IMO. He was just nowhere near Edward Hibbert, his delivery was not sharp and his timing was a little off. He just seemed to be in a daze.

Stage door: Bob Saget came out fairly soon and signed and took pictures with everyone. Everyone came out and signed and chatted, but I could not wait for Beth because it had already been 35 minutes and I needed to go.

On the whole I think the show is still in good form and I loved it once again (third time).

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

to wherever
#43re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/26/07 at 2:09am

I think if Bob did camp it up a bit more he would be in pretty decent shape. Maybe with time...

Beth was out sick on Sunday so if her voice was going on Saturday that explains it! She doesn't come out of the stage door (well, 99.999% of the time) -- she leaves very quickly through another door.

I'm not a big fan of Jay as Aldolpho - I hope he's not on again tomorrow night.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#44re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/26/07 at 7:39pm

I hope Beth feels better soon. If you haven't seen Beth and Danny together, you really are missing out. I keep hearing good things about Jay though too.

I only saw Stacia as Mrs. Tottendale and I thought she did a great job but would struggle to see her play anyone else.

I still think the advertising is weak. If Drowsy had lame costumes, that's one thing but it just doesn't. It is just a slap in the face to the designer who deserves a lot more respect.

The MIC is a key part but many come to this show for a variety of reasons. Adding Bob S picture was important. Not adding the colorful and brilliant pictures of the the sets other costumes? Another marketing thud for a such a witty show.

Bob Saget is coming to Drowsy as who? Bob Saget? Who cares? We want to see the MIC!

iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
#45re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:51pm

I wish Bob Martin was back in the show, too, TKTToRide! He's so funny! I should've seen the show when he was in it...*cries*

Christy XO

R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#46re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:18am

Has anyone asked Bob to sign anything "Full House" related yet? I have this "Full House" book that I had John Stamos sign when he was in "Cabaret" and he sort of rolled his eyes as he signed it. Just wanted to know if I should try it with Bob. re: Sagat in Chaperone

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#47re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:29am

Kind of random: There was actually a woman at the stage door when I went that had no idea Bob Sagat existed: she had heard her grandson refer to something as being "Bob Sagat" which was a popular joke, and she assumed he made up a fictional character. She got to go backstage and explain the story to him, and he found it rather humorous.

Yankeefan007
#48re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:37am

Saget is an incredibly funny and kind human being. He may make fun of Full House in his act, but he does indeed realize that without that show, he wouldn't be half as recognizable (or wealthy). He's more than happy to sign autographs (he signed my "Aristocrats" CD booklet the other day!) and take photos...a group of younger kids with their mother were walking down the street and saw him...they ran up to him, asked for a photo, and more than happily obliged, saying "Tell Mommy to make this her screensaver!"

iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
#49re: Sagat in Chaperone
Posted: 10/30/07 at 11:42pm

I used to watch him on Full House and I still watch him on that show. I would agree with YankeeFan007 on autograph signing that Bob Saget does. And one other thing I forgot to mention: I used to watch him on America's Funniest Home Videos, and he's my only favorite host in that show.

R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005