Best Tony Award Performance

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#1Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 9:50pm

What do you think is the Best Tony Award Performance you have ever seen?

I don't mean your favorite song you have ever seen performed on the Tonys. (For example, many people love Defying Gravity but don't think the Tony performance was up to par.) I mean, the BEST TONY PERFORMANCE, in itself, you have ever seen.

My vote goes to RUN FREEDOM RUN from URINETOWN, 2002 broadcast.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 9:56pm

"We'll Take a Glass Together" from GRAND HOTEL in 1990

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#2re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 9:57pm

Rose's Turn - Bernadette Peters

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 9:58pm

Opening of the 2004 Tony Awards with Hugh Jackman leading "One Night Only."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Yankeefan007
#4re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:00pm

"Take a Glass" is an incredible number.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#5re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:03pm

"24 Hours a Day" from Golden Rainbow
"Step to the Rear" from How Now Dow Jones
"Turkey Lurkey Time" from Promises Promises
"I Hope I Get It"/"One" from A Chorus Line
"It's All Over"/"And I Am Telling You" from Dreamgirls
"We'll Take a Glass Together" from Grand Hotel
"Rose's Turn" from Gypsy

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#6re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:05pm

I LOVE We'll Take A Glass.

And smaxie- I've never seen the Tony performance of "Step to the Rear", but it's such a fun song! It's not on the site either... I hope to see it one day.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#7re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:08pm

Click here immediately! (The Ed Sullivan version is the more complete version, I believe, but the Tony performance is also great).

The pits from the Macintoshes!

Updated On: 10/23/07 at 10:08 PM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#8re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:10pm

I didn't think to check there! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! re: Best Tony Award Performance

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:10pm

Smaxie, I love your list!

I would only add "Forget About the Boy" from Thoroughly Modern Millie, and "A New Argentina" from Evita.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

#10re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:13pm

My vote is for Millie and Dreamgirls. I thought Hunter did horrible in the Tony performance of Run Freedom Run... just my opinion.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#11re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:13pm

I think top choice has to to go "And I'm Telling You".

I also love the "Annie" girls doing "Fully Dressed."

Oh, and "Vodka"!

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:17pm

"Rose's Turn"-'03 GYPSY revival (truly riveting performance, plus the audience reaction made it so full of energy)
"We'll Take a Glass Together"- GRAND HOTEL (Michael Jeter and Brent Barrett were at the top of their game)
"Be Italian"- NINE (Kathi Moss and those kids with the tambourines dancing to Tommy Tune's impeccable choreography, pure genius)
"Turkey Lurkey Time"- PROMISES, PROMISES
"I Hope I Get It/One"- A CHORUS LINE
"It's All Over/And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"- DREAMGIRLS
"Time Heals Everything"- Bernadette Peters in memory of Robert Preston, incredibly touching.
"Bossom Buddies"- MAME (Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury reprising the performance, brilliant)

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#13re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:18pm

"I thought Hunter did horrible in the Tony performance of Run Freedom Run... just my opinion."

Really??? What didn't you like? I think his ability to pull off vocal gymnastics like that LIVE is incredible. The energy of that entire cast's performance blows me away.

P.S. Step to the Rear is SO fun!!! Wow, Tony Roberts has had a very long career.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#14re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:21pm

Some other faves I've thought of:

"Movie Star" and "Gorgeous" from The Apple Tree (as well as Barbara Harris's behavior after the number, and when she wins her Tony)

Norman Wisdom knocking over one of the wagons in "Walking Happy" (and the frozen smile on the chorus girl it nearly kills)

"Off Time" from Ain't Misbehavin'

"Kicking the Clouds Away" from My One and Only

The Tony opening with the 42nd Street revival

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:23pm

And also when Ann Reinking steps on Bebe's foot in "Hot Honey Rag".

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#16re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:33pm

Omg the Walking Happy wagon- crashing is crazy! Unfortunately, the quality of the image on bluegobo doesn't allow me to see the chorus girl's face. But wow.

#17re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:40pm

""I thought Hunter did horrible in the Tony performance of Run Freedom Run... just my opinion."

Really??? What didn't you like? I think his ability to pull off vocal gymnastics like that LIVE is incredible. The energy of that entire cast's performance blows me away."

I think that Hunter, vocally wasn't on that night. I know you don't agree, but i think that he has sounded better. No doubt the energy was amazing and i love watching it cause it seems like each ensemble member has their own story going. I think the only downfall was Hunter's vocals. It's not that I don't like him, because I do. And I love that song. I just didn't like that performance.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#18re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:41pm

While it's in my mind, "Favorite Son" is brilliant on the Tonys.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#19re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:53pm

Agree with a lot already, but one my favorites is Bernadette Peters singing "Unexpected Song" from "Song and Dance." A truly riveting performance!

And while not the best by any means Louise Pitre's enthusiasm during the Mamma Mia Tony performance is sooooo fun to watch.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#20re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:57pm

The original 1988 of INTO THE WOODS
Lambeth Walk from ME AND MY GIRL
CITY OF ANGELS sequence
Ragtime
Godspeed Titanic

Everything that's already been mentioned, and everything else that hasn't.

I confess I'm a Tony Awards junkie.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#21re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:01pm

Les Miserables was fantastic as was Me And My Girl that same year.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

nicholscreek Profile Photo
nicholscreek
#22re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:04pm

I enjoyed Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel at the 1998 Tonys. Douglas Sills' accent was kinda cheesy but the number was full of energy.

You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless. You gotta hope even more, and cover your ears and go 'bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla! - Phillip J. Fry

Boq101
#23re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:26pm

-------Really??? What didn't you like? I think his ability to pull off vocal gymnastics like that LIVE is incredible. The energy of that entire cast's performance blows me away.

wow, as if pulling off anything LIVE is such an amazing thing to see on a THEATER actor. Do you listen to yourself? He does that eight times a week same as everyone else who performs on the Tony's (give or take a few perfs.)I think your references are extremely limited for you to think that Hunter was "exceptional". He was good, but he pales in comparison to his sister, who performed that same night with a cast just as energetic.

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#24re: Best Tony Award Performance
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:27pm

Just adding to the love of "Rose's Turn" by Bernadette Peters and "It's All Over/And I am Telling You" from Dreamgirls.

The very first Tony telecast I ever watched was 2003 and Bernadette left me speechless. Also from that year, Hairspray's was so full of energy and the audience's encouragement was very fun to watch.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

Videos