Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

#1Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:49am

Does anyone know what shows will be performing for the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade? Do the shows have to have Local One stagehands to perform?

Updated On: 11/19/07 at 09:49 AM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#2re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:15am

Xanadu, Young Frankenstein and Mary Poppins will perform. Due tothe strike, Legally Blonde is cancelled.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#2re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:17am

Um, where'd you hear that? I'm 99% sure the cast of Legally Blonde is performing, just without their costumes/props.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#3re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:28am

Due tothe strike, Legally Blonde is cancelled.

Also wondering where you've heard that- unless something changed this morning, the plan as of this weekend was that Blonde was absolutely rehearsing and will be performing.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#4re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:37am

Blonde is performing in different outfits than the ones they wear in the show because the wardrobe departments are honoring the strike.

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#5re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:57am

Where is Xanadu performing? Which entrance to Macy's I mean... I keep forgetting. I think I'll take the train in, see them perform and go back to bed... lol

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]

shams
#6re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:22pm

I am curious, if LB is still performing how are they able to "trump" this strike? Is it because it would fall under a different union jurisdiction? AFTRA?
Are they able to re. in a studio?

Just attempting to understand the loop holes> And yes, I understand why the other shows are able to perform..
Thanks.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#7re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:25pm

Anyone know what song will be performed?

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

shams
#8re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:30pm

I found my own answer... here for others wondering

A Macy's spokesperson confirmed that the four shows will be part of the annual parade on Thursday, Nov. 22. Because the broadcast utilizes television stagehands, who are not striking, rather than theatre stagehands, the performances can go on as scheduled.

Cast members from Legally Blonde are scheduled to perform "What You Want," while the Mary Poppins company will offer "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." Xanadu will perform a medley of tunes — including "All Over The World," "Magic" and "Xanadu" — and the cast of Young Frankenstein will sing "Transylvania Mania." The Radio City Rockettes will also perform.

As previously announced, the parade will kick off with "Making Magic," a new tuned penned by Michael Feinstein with lyrics by Bill Schermerhorn, Macy's creative director. Members of Camp Broadway, the theatre arts education company, will perform the song.

Also of interest to theatre fans: Spring Awakening's Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff will belt out "Give My Regards to Broadway" atop the M&M's Chocolate Candies on Broadway float. That theatre-themed float will feature the M&M's characters taking lead roles in Broadway productions: Green is Elphaba in Wicked, Orange and Yellow star in A Chorus Line, Blue is the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera, and Red is Spamalot's King Arthur.

The original Christine Daae in London and Broadway's Phantom, Sarah Brightman, will be dressed as a Pirate Queen and will sing "The Journey Home" on the Jolly Polly Pirate Ship; "Hairspray" film star Nikki Blonsky will perform "You Can't Stop the Beat" on the American Classic Malt Shop float; and Feinstein and Tony winner Anika Noni Rose will perform another Feinstein-Schermerhorn song, "Give Me the Key to This Wonderful City," aboard the History Channel's New York Tin Toy float.

The 81st Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is set for Thursday, Nov. 22 from 9 AM-noon. The parade is broadcast nationally on NBC-TV.

being.jeremiah
#9re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 7:50pm

And because the Legally Blonde cast won't be able to go to the Palace for their Gregg Barnes creations, Macy's will dress the lead and ensemble members performing.

Good thing they're wearing something!

iluvcioffiiluvtea Profile Photo
iluvcioffiiluvtea
#10re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:00pm

Yeah, otherwise they'd be wearing nothing!

Is Curtains performing on the CBS Thanksgiving Parade?

R.I.P. Laurann 1987-2005
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 08:00 PM

over_dramatic Profile Photo
over_dramatic
#11re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:05pm

i saw somewhere that John Tartaglia will be appearing on the parade... does anyone know where and what he'll be doing? last year i watched the whole thing just for 30 seconds of waving...

still searching for the perfect signature

sweeneyfan1
#12re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:09pm

since the wardrobe department for legally blonde is honoring the strike, what about the hair dept? cause the majority of the women are wigged in this show and i know LBB wear two... does any one know?

now that i think about it

if macys is going to outfit them, how are they doing to do the second part of What you Want (when they enter harvard in the UCLA chear team costumes)? im pretty sure macys doesnt have chearleading stuff in blue and yellow...
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 08:09 PM

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#13re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:12pm

Are they going to just recreate the costumes? I just dont know. How can you make a marching band in no marching band uniforms? Anyone got a LB scoop? And LBB can go without a wig.

Idk but I love things like this wear LB will still go on. Literally puts a new meaning to "The show must go on!"

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#14re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:14pm

^^ Haven't heard anything about what their plans are re: wigs, but I think it would be kinda awesome especially if Asmeret was not wigged for the Parade- her Pilar wig is great, but I *love* her hair. Sorry, random thought. :)

ucjrdude902
#15re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:15pm

I don't think they are doing the full "What you Want"...I mean they haven't done it anywhere else have they? Maybe they can just do it till they say "175? 175!!!!!"
Updated On: 11/19/07 at 08:15 PM

being.jeremiah
#16re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:32pm

No other details given, sorry!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#17re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:39pm

I don't think they are doing the full "What you Want"...I mean they haven't done it anywhere else have they? Maybe they can just do it till they say "175? 175!!!!!"

I think that it's The Today Show version of "What You Want," starting with the Harvard admissions guys and LBB jumping thru the banner...except, you know, without the banner now...

ucjrdude902
#18re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:49pm

I think it be cool to see what they can pull together. But seriously they could go from "What a second this is what..." to "1755555555555555555555555555!"

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#19re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 8:54pm

And- people can always tune in to Legally Blonde on MTV after the Parade, to see what the costumes look like. :)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#20re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:39pm

I was under the impression that they were going to preform in simple Legally Blonde t shirts and jeans.

I mean I don't know if Macy's is oing to be recreating the costumes all together or if they are just going to give the cast clothing to wear that ould look good in the parade and is not at all related to the show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ucjrdude902
#21re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:45pm

I think it look better wearing their LB shirts and jeans. But i could DEF see Macy's giving them clothes so they can say "Now performing,wearing wardrobe from Macy's LEGALLY BLONDE!" But still with no props? It might be bad.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#22re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 9:56pm

I've heard there will be rented props...I am actually getting *really* curious to see how this will all play out on tv now, how will it look compared to the other shows, if there will be any sort of word/announcement as to why they're not in their 'regular' costumes, etc.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#23re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:05pm

I wouldn't be suprised if one of them mentiones the strike or something to that effect. I can see them making a comment such as " They are not preforming in their regular costumes due to the strike." Of course, if they do say something like that that would leave the average joe who thinks all of broadway is shut down very confused. They will see that the other shows that are preforming are in costume and Blonde isn't and they would be very confused.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ucjrdude902
#24re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:04am

Just was watching some new and they clearly said LB is doing "SO MUCH BETTER"...wtc?

Videos