pixeltracker

"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" Revival...(Not a big deal?)- Page 2

"Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" Revival...(Not a big deal?)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 12:49pm

How many times will Guys & Dolls & Man Of La Mancha be revived?Give it a rest guys. They will than wonder why the revival flopped. I would love to see many of Tennessee Williams lesser know works staged - off broadway if need be.

A MOON FOR THE MISBEGOTTEN was revived in 2000 and then again in 2007, and the 2007 limited run recouped its investment.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#26re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 12:59pm

Dollypop, the last time you made a comment about the race of the actors in this production not matching the location, plot, and time period, TonyaFanatic rightfully explained to you why your comment was incorrect and ignorant.

When you make the same comment AGAIN, you are not only acting ignorant, but you are treating fellow posters as though they are invisible when one of them clearly addressed and corrected the same comment the last time you made it.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#27re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 1:58pm

This must be Rashad's Williams period... she'll also be playing Alexandra Del Lago in Sweet Bird of Youth later this year in Westport. Now I wonder how the issue of race will be handled in that production: a white, once v.d.'d, fading gigolo romping around in a convertible down south with a once glamorous, over-the-hill, colored actress on hash and oxygen. Given the time period, the race factor and Del Lago's virtually unheard of "type" makes it all truly truly truly outrageous.
Then again, will this be an all-black producion of Sweet Bird??

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#28re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 2:44pm

Do we have an ETA on that all-black mounting of SOUND OF MUSIC?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#29re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 2:50pm

Borstal, I hear they are in negotiations with Beyonce' for the lead as we type!

Uh oh, Uh oh!

Just give the world Love.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#30re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 2:51pm

Debbie Allen directing? I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#31re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 4:57pm

Debbie Allen directing? I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

BigFatBlonde, I feel the same way, but at the same time I feel the cast is so first-rate that it will be hard for her to ruin it. The only one I fear for is Howard who will be making his Broadway debut, I'm not sure if he has any stage experience, but if he doesn't he deserved a better director than Allen to welcome him to the stage. Either way--as I can't stop saying--I'm way excited about this revival.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 5:02pm

I agree with Allen and Howard involved, this COULD be slightly worrisome.
Updated On: 1/8/08 at 05:02 PM

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#33re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 5:12pm

TonyaFanatic, it is sad you say that. Education is the key to EVERYTHING! I don't want someone making an incorrect comment about something I know about on a fourm that has young people. If nobody corrects them, someone might think "Oh, if nobody is correcting them, they must be right." Clearly people are ignorant about rich american blacks dating back to american slavery, but it is not their fault they are not informed. Once someone tells them, THEN it is their fault they don't know.

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#34re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 5:12pm

True, but Anika Noni Rose and James Earl Jones make it all worth it!!!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#35re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 5:18pm

True, but Anika Noni Rose and James Earl Jones make it all worth it!!!

I agree! I recently re-read the play imagining these two in their respective roles. Can't wait to see them on stage saying that wonderful poetic Williams' dialogue.
Howard is a great (Oscar-nominated) film actor. I hope he is more like Claire Danes and Jennifer Garner than Julia Roberts and Julianne Moore.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Gothampc
#36re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/8/08 at 6:19pm

"BigFatBlonde, I feel the same way, but at the same time I feel the cast is so first-rate that it will be hard for her to ruin it."

Betty Buckley and Linzi Hateley. Nuff said.

Carrie

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

philcrosby
#37re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 10:56am

The biggest hurdle the production will have is James Earl Jones' reported failing memory. Big Daddy is a HUGE part.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#38re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 11:21am

Does anyone know which version of "Cat" they will be doing?
I think the biggest difference is in whether or not Big Daddy appears in the third act. The strongest version just has his screams of pain from off stage. I don't like the version where he comes back and then goes off arm and arm with his wife. It's much more powerful having just the screams of pain with Big Mama running in looking for the medicine.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#39re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 11:47am

I think we are going to see this revival as well received as the revival of A Raisin In the Sun. Even if the critics don't like it I feel that the black community will get behind it particularly with Jones, Rashad and Howard (regardless of his stage experience) in the cast.

Brick
#40re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:07pm

I would imagine they are doing Williams' 1974 rewrite, which does not have Big Daddy in the 3rd Act.

Gothampc
#41re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 12:32pm

"I would imagine they are doing Williams' 1974 rewrite, which does not have Big Daddy in the 3rd Act."

But it seems like a waste of time for James Earl Jones to sit out Act 3.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Brick
#42re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 1:54pm

Oh, Big Daddy has the entirety of Act II. And believe me, it's plenty.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#43re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/9/08 at 2:10pm

"Clearly people are ignorant about rich american blacks dating back to american slavery, but it is not their fault they are not informed. Once someone tells them, THEN it is their fault they don't know."

completely agree. but the reason i said that was because in an earlier thread i DID try to educate. that's why i told you don't even bother. people want to see what they want to see.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Sandy in Sable Profile Photo
Sandy in Sable
#44re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/13/08 at 6:16pm

On the Scene: Chatting with the Cat on a Hot Tin Roof Company
from broadway.com

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=559058

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#45re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/13/08 at 7:09pm

sorry if it's been asked but has anyone gone to the box office yet and asked if there will be rush or SRO?

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#46re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:31pm

Just wondering if anyone is planning on buying tix for "Cat....." tomorrow? (Box office opens)-

Was going to wait for a better discount. Best I have seen is for $66 tix.

(I believe the B.O for "Passing Strange" opens tomorrow as well. )

Yankeefan007
#47re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:33pm

The whole thing strikes me as very pointless - running until April 13. What's the point?

That said, rush will be the usual policy. Student ID, $26.25, 2/ID at the box office day of show. So I'm told.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#48re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:38pm

Wow... 4/13--- Thats it !!!?? Didnt even realize that !!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#49re: 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' Revival...(Not a big deal?)
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:41pm

Is it possible that a few of them have upcoming film commitments? I do agree though, how can they expect to recoup in two months, regardless of how long the initial investment may be?