pixeltracker

Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?

Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?

ElevatorKisses Profile Photo
ElevatorKisses
#1Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:16pm

My family has purchased tickets for April and I am extremely excited since I have been a major fan of the little mermaid since it first came out. I have been reading your reviews and actual critics reviews and I am just wondering overall is it worth what we would be spending to see it?

Yankeefan007
#2re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:18pm

It's all a matter of what you make of it.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:23pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 04:23 PM

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#3re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:24pm

DISCLAIMER: I haven't seen the show, I'm going off general consenses (or lack there of).

It depends on your taste really. Many on the board thought it was a mess, and others thought it was a blast. It depends on how critical you are of things. Do you see yourself taken along for a fun ride or just seeing a lack of character development? It's certainly a show that is a family show wether it is good or not. But there are others out there that have a better reputation for story quality, i.e. Hairspray, Xanadu, Curtains, Cry Baby (?), In the Heights. Does anyone in your family watch oscar movies or read alot? If so, they may be more prone to see flaws. If you just really want to see it, go see it.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#4re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:25pm

Little mermaid will be (and it is) a huge succes.
All my friends, fans of Disney, loved the broadway spectacle and say that critics are crazy because Little Mermais is a fantasic show with spectacular music (I love, Menken) and incredible cast (I love, Sierra, I love, Scott)

Loo, since past week, more than 2 millions in Broadway

solitarychele Profile Photo
solitarychele
#5re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:31pm

Have you seen it yet, emmadny?

And, in response to the original question, I think if you go in with an open mind, you'll enjoy it.

I went in to the show thinking I would HATE it (TLM is one of my favorite movies) and I was pleasently surprised.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#6re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:34pm

I saw the show last month and really enjoyed it! I think you will like it! Have a wonderful time!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#7re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:40pm

SOLITARY, not yet, but my friends yes and told me that it's fantastic.
Every disney fan will love the musical

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#8re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:41pm

SOLITARY, not yet, but my friends yes and told me that it's fantastic.
Every disney fan will love the musical

lois128 Profile Photo
lois128
#9re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:56pm

Well, I saw the show last Friday, and I absolutely loved it! I was like a 5 year old screaming and laughing and crying. I was so nervous about the reviews I had read but omg once you're in the theatre you are welcome into the magical world of disney. Some of the changes to the story they did I didn't like, but it's still The Little Mermaid and the cast is perfect. If you loved The Little Mermaid as much as I did when I was a kid, you'll really LOVE IT!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." Sherie Rene Scott

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 5:03pm

I saw it last Saturday with jaystarr and I was enchanted with it. It's not Beauty, but it's very good for Mermaid. :) Go and enjoy. Don't let other peopel make your mind up for you.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Christabel
#11re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:30pm

Totally agree with jordangirl :)

I flew to NYC from the UK for the show- all the while holding my breath after reading disastrous reviews on the internet. Keep an open mind, most people who do really enjoy it.

I'm ashamed to say that I went in prepared to be unimpressed with Flounder's costume(as so many before me had), but Brian D'Addario was incredible, totally made me forget- the cast are wonderful- just takes imagination... so don't worry and be prepared to love the overture and new music...

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#12re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:34pm

Critics are too harsh. WICKED got bad reviews but it's now one of the most popular shows on Broadway. It mostly matters what the people the people think is good. I saw The Little Mermaid this last Friday and I thought it was AMAZING. I loved it a lot, and thought everyone did really well.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#13re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:36pm

Have seen it 6x so far, and love it !! (must add that we are Disney fanatics), but we are not crazy about the "Lion King".

I would not let the reviews sway you either way. Go in with an open mind. Dont expect anything brilliant, and most likely you will enjoy it.

If you are a Disney fan, most likely you will love it.

Agree with the above that it is a huge hit !!! (as far as box office)- Each time we have seen the show, its basically been sold out.

LittleEDIEfan595 Profile Photo
LittleEDIEfan595
#14re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:13pm

I saw it and i thought it was the cutest disney musical ever. If your a Disney fan you're going to love it.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#15re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:17pm

<< WICKED got bad reviews but it's now one of the most popular shows on Broadway >>

"Wicked's" reviews were better than "LM's", and for the most part, Idina and KC got excellent reviews.

That being said... still love "Mermaid" ! :))

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#18re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:18pm

I am looking for March and very little available.
I really hate to spend 251 on premium seats, especially given the reviews.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#19re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:26pm

I saw the show last night. I was very entertained, but the show itself certainly isn't very good, aside from seeing some of my favorite childhood songs onstage in new, high belt friendly arrangements.

If you've already spent money on tickets, don't worry. You'll have a good time. The show certainly isn't worth premium prices, but for the full $111.50 or $121.50 you could do worse. At least it isn't as long as Mary Poppins.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#20re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:34pm

Count me in as someone who LOVED it!

::bust a move::

kate2
#21re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 10:21pm

I loved it so much! I was hesitant before the show because all I could think about was how disappointing Mary Poppins was, but I can't wait to see Mermaid again! The new songs are fantastic and the old classics are beautifully sung by this talented cast. Hopefully you see Brian D'Addario as Flounder. The kid is incredible! Sherie is phenomenal as Ursula and Sierra is the perfect Ariel. The entire cast is outstanding!

NYCblurb
#22re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/20/08 at 11:00pm

I was really disappointed in the show.

I thought, well at least the seven year olds will like it, then realized the seven year olds next to me were fidgeting to beat the band.

I'd miss it. Not a hit.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

landryjames2
#23re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 1:54pm

It honestly is the worst show I have ever seen, and the critics are not crazy (except for Time magazine whose little blurp about it was very positive). Well, I should clarify and say that at least the first half was the worst thing I have ever seen (left/ran out at intermission). And I am a HUGE Disney fan.

#24re: Is the Little Mermaid a splash, or a fish out of watery flop?
Posted: 1/21/08 at 2:43pm

it would be better if Clay was in it.

Videos