pixeltracker

The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!- Page 2

The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!

COOOOLkid
#25re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/27/08 at 11:11pm

I would prefer a tour of a different musical to tour instead of two tours of what I consider a mediocre musical.

Yeah, because only a limited number of tours can go around the country. Closing the Cheetah Tour would definitely allow more productions to tour. /sarcasm

Stop being a theatre snob.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Fosse76
#26re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 10:58am

"Please remember that we are more than likely heading into tough economic times before you rejoice about 150 people with kids, mortgages, and bellies to be fed losing their jobs."

I hate these particular comments, because these people decided to go into an industry where there is absolutely ZERO job security. Is it sad they will be unemployed. Yes. But that doesn't negate that fact that some shows should close (and for this particular show, I have no opinion). Being glad a certain show closes does not mean the person is happy these people will be out of work.

husk_charmer
#27re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 2:07pm

Wasn't the reason for the second tour to allow for quicker set up/strike between cities?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Fosse76
#28re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 3:07pm

"Wasn't the reason for the second tour to allow for quicker set up/strike between cities?"

Probably also for the tour to travel to cities with shorter runs. Phantom did essentailly the same thing.

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#29re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/28/08 at 3:33pm

I feel bad for all the actors, tech, and musicians that will be out of a job, but congrats for a great, long run!
And I can't wait to see the Gazelle tour this spring. I haven't seen the show since I was around eleven years old, so it will be nice to revisit it!

ThankstoPhantom
#30re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/29/08 at 6:24pm

Wasn't the reason for the second tour to allow for quicker set up/strike between cities?

No...a second tour was open to take advantage of the sizeable national audience for the show in a lesser amount of time.

In order to get a faster time for set take down and set put-up, you build double the sets, which is what Phantom of the Opera did.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

gypsy4
#31re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/29/08 at 7:17pm

I can understand that you're not a big Lion king fan but think about it alot of disney shows have got young kids into broadway.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#32re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/29/08 at 7:24pm

I saw this the last time it came to OCPAC. I loved it!! Such a beautiful spectacle. Also the music is gorgeous!!! glad they had a good tour :)

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#33re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 1/29/08 at 7:24pm

I saw this the last time it came to OCPAC. I loved it!! Such a beautiful spectacle. Also the music is gorgeous!!! glad they had a good tour :)

LKDAY03
#34re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:04am

DISNEY THEATRICAL PRODUCTIONS, a division of The Walt Disney Studios, was formed in 1994 and operates under the direc- tion of Thomas Schumacher . Worldwide, its eight Broadway titles have been seen by over 124 million theatergoers, grossed over $8 .9 billion and have cumulatively run a staggering 195 years . With  15 productions currently produced or licensed, a Disney musical is being performed professionally somewhere on the planet virtually every hour of the day . The company’s inaugural production, Beauty and the Beast, opened in 1994 . It played a remarkable 13 year run on Broadway and has been produced in 28 countries worldwide . In November 1997, Disney opened The Lion King, which received six 1998 Tony® Awards including Best Musical and is now the highest grossing show in Broadway history . The show continues in its 16th smash year, having welcomed over 66 million visitors worldwide . The Lion King can also currently be seen on tour across North America, the U .K ., and Japan, and in London’s West End, Hamburg, Tokyo, and Madrid . 

Well that's a LOT OF JOB'S...  Question.... What show have you done?

Former member Cheetah National Tour 2003-2008!!!

laughingplace
#35re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:24am

I loved the Lion King. Sad to see it go?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 5:56am

This thread is some EIGHT years old! Many of the posters in it, particularly the OP, isn't even around.  Seems rather like yelling at the wind.

Laughing, the tours of Lion King didn't stop in '08, and while I don't keep up with the tour circuit, pretty sure a tour is still going on.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#37re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 7:12am

I think it's sort of odd that the lion king wicked and Book of Mormon both had(have) two tours and especially on full production contracts and yet they closed one of the tours(since Book of Mormon 1st nat. Is closing in June). Why? They were(are) still packing in the crowds. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Islander_fan
#38re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 10:57am

If memory serves, The Lion King closed their second national tour when they announced that the show was playing in Vegas. They used the sets from the second national tour for the Vegas run, though I am not sure what they did with them after that (wouldn't shock me to find out that they then were used in another international production of the show.) 

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#39re: The Lion King Cheetah Tour Ends March 2nd!
Posted: 3/16/16 at 2:08pm

You sure they used the tour sets in Vegas? the Vegas version though the same seemed huge to me. Plus they had the fully functioning pride rock and elevators. Maybe the costumes for a reuse.

It's probably best for producers not to over saturate the market after the tours run a while. And personally I never liked the idea (with wicked in particular) that one of the 2 tours was significantly smaller / scalled back just so it could fit into smaller venues. I'd feel somehow cheated, but then again the average joe going to see it won't know the difference

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge